F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Ordering a 328i in March - what price should I expect?
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
tormax
Rep
Drives: Ford

Ordering a 328i in March - what price should I expect?

I am going to order a new F30 328i in March. I live in Dallas and have configured the car I want, so my question is should I expect to pay the MSRP price listed on the bmw.usa car configurator, or are people getting them for slightly less?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 328, e36 m3

im looking to make a purchase in may/juneish and will be looking for 1k over invoice
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Right now, you won't get much below MSRP in Dallas for a 2012 328i. By summer, I expect the price will be similar to the 2011 328i, $500 over invoice.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
90degreeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Crappy 2001 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post
im looking to make a purchase in may/juneish and will be looking for 1k over invoice
I have successfully negotiated $500 over invoice for ED delivery since this won't be from the dealer allocation. Push hard...and don't give up.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 328, e36 m3

^^^^^ wow! Thanks for that, it gives me hope!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degreeman View Post
I have successfully negotiated $500 over invoice for ED delivery since this won't be from the dealer allocation. Push hard...and don't give up.
What is the invoice price for the 328i?
      01-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
I assume you mean $500 over ED invoice pricing and not US invoice?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i - ED scheduled 3/1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post
^^^^^ wow! Thanks for that, it gives me hope!
Quote:
It is important to understand that there is a HUGE difference in negotiating an ED purchase versus a normal domestic purchase. For normal domestic purchases, dealers are only allocated a set number of cars that they can sell, so they are typically out to make as much as they can on every one sold, hence it is much harder to get a good deal. ED sales do NOT count against that allocation, so anything they make on an ED sale is gravy - just extra cash in the bank that they had no way of getting otherwise - so they are much more open to selling at big discounts - usually $500 - $1000 over the ED invoice price because that is pure profit.

One other note - I saw that you said you're in Dallas. I am in Dallas also. The DFW BMW dealership are well known to be difficult to deal with and don't discount cars much (if at all). Furthermore, I haven't located anybody here who knows much about ED or wants to deal with it. If you are looking for a good deal, I recommend buying through one of the sponsors of this board or of bimmerfest.com (and doing ED if you're open to that approach). If you are looking for convenience, then buy through a Dallas dealership, but expect to get very little off MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

+1 - don't expects discounts off MSRP in DFW. Even on ED, they will want full ED MSRP. The only benefit you really get from dealing with them are BMW service loaners when you use them for service.

In '02, I went with the dealer in Temple for my ED. I am going to give them first shot on my F30 ED, otherwise will go with one of the board sponsors.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sport Line - Alpine

I'm in southern California but I was able to negotiate $500 over on a pretty fully loaded 335i. My dealer basically said ordered cars don't count toward their allocation and because they don't have to store the car and basically don't need to even sell it because you walk in and buy it - they do good deals.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
tormax
Rep
Drives: Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
I'm in southern California but I was able to negotiate $500 over on a pretty fully loaded 335i. My dealer basically said ordered cars don't count toward their allocation and because they don't have to store the car and basically don't need to even sell it because you walk in and buy it - they do good deals.
That is good info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
bxdw
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92, F30 335i Sport

Anyone know if there is any room for negotiating in southern California on a car that a dealership is receiving as part of their allocation? Am I basically stuck with MSRP or can I get anything off? And is BMW loyalty still going on?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceks
Anyone know if there is any room for negotiating in southern California on a car that a dealership is receiving as part of their allocation? Am I basically stuck with MSRP or can I get anything off? And is BMW loyalty still going on?
I believe every dealership is getting two 328i and one 335i as their initial dealer stock. I imagine you would be lucky to get more than $1,000 off. If you can wait, find a dealer who will do a small amount over invoice on an ordered car and save yourself a few grand.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
F2006
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i GC M Sport

I'm based in Texas as well, and all of the site sponsors are out of state for me. The problem is, if I buy from one of them, I have to sell my used car on my own. Right? Or is any one of them willing to accept a trade in from a different state?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

So let me understand this correctly.....If I special order a car, then I can have more room for negotiation because that order wont come off the allocated cars to that dealer? In other words, salesman would be more willing to sell closer to invoice price?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW
I had not heard that before. Has anyone else been told by a dealer that ordered cars don't count against their allocation?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i - ED scheduled 3/1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
So let me understand this correctly.....If I special order a car, then I can have more room for negotiation because that order wont come off the allocated cars to that dealer? In other words, salesman would be more willing to sell closer to invoice price?
Only if you are doing European Delivery (ED). An order that you pickup at the dealership comes out of their allocation and you will have the same challenges with them wanting as much as they can get for it. ED vehicles do NOT come out of allocation, so they are more willing to cut prices - $500 to $1000 over ED Invoice is pretty common for a 3 Series ED.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohnInDallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Only if you are doing European Delivery (ED). An order that you pickup at the dealership comes out of their allocation and you will have the same challenges with them wanting as much as they can get for it. ED vehicles do NOT come out of allocation, so they are more willing to cut prices - $500 to $1000 over ED Invoice is pretty common for a 3 Series ED.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Anything you order now won't be here for the launch and therefore won't be a part of initial stock. Think about it, if each dealer is only getting three cars, if 4 people order cars from that dealer, obviously at least one is not a part of their initial stock. I ordered and got $500 over invoice for exactly this reason. If this impacted their initial stock, there's no way they would have sold at that price. Just call some dealers and see.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohnInDallas View Post
This is correct. A car ordered from by a dealer DOES come from their allocation unless it is ED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Anything you order now won't be here for the launch and therefore won't be a part of initial stock. Think about it, if each dealer is only getting three cars, if 4 people order cars from that dealer, obviously at least one is not a part of their initial stock. I ordered and got $500 over invoice for exactly this reason. If this impacted their initial stock, there's no way they would have sold at that price. Just call some dealers and see.
It is accurate. You are interchanging the words stock and allocation and I think confusing things. None of the initial three cars were "ordered" by anybody, BMW just decided here is what you (the dealer) gets. After that BMW decides based on sales history how many cars each dealer can order per month. For example, my dealer was allocated eight 328i and one 335i for February build. So supply and prices will be constrained by this number.

Last edited by Weaselboy; 02-05-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
This is correct. A car ordered from by a dealer DOES come from their allocation unless it is ED.

It is accurate. You are interchanging the words stock and allocation and I think confusing things. None of the initial three cars were "ordered" by anybody, BMW just decided here is what you (the dealer) gets. After that BMW decides based on sales history how many cars each dealer can order per month. For example, my dealer was allocated eight 328i and one 335i for February build. So supply and prices will be constrained by this number.
Ok, but if the dealers around my area are each ordering certain number of 328s and 335s (let's say they get 10 328s and 5 335s each month), I come in and place a special order (non ED), this order is not part of the 15 cars the dealer gets every month. My order, ED or not, is not part of their inventory, therefore it is an extra sale for the dealer. It shouldn't make a difference whether I pick the car in Germany or I wait for it to get here.

Of course I understand that a salesman will try his best to sell me one of their cars on the lot or coming at the dealership at price as close to MSRP as possible. Or if they don't have it at the dealer, they would tell me they can find it for me.

But I highly doubt that any dealership would have the exact specs I would want to order. The MSRP on the car I want is $44,345, the invoice is $41,005. My offer would be $42,000 - $42,500.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

Ok, but if the dealers around my area are each ordering certain number of 328s and 335s (let's say they get 10 328s and 5 335s each month), I come in and place a special order (non ED), this order is not part of the 15 cars the dealer gets every month. My order, ED or not, is not part of their inventory, therefore it is an extra sale for the dealer. It shouldn't make a difference whether I pick the car in Germany or I wait for it to get here.

Of course I understand that a salesman will try his best to sell me one of their cars on the lot or coming at the dealership at price as close to MSRP as possible. Or if they don't have it at the dealer, they would tell me they can find it for me.

But I highly doubt that any dealership would have the exact specs I would want to order. The MSRP on the car I want is $44,345, the invoice is $41,005. My offer would be $42,000 - $42,500.
I don't know where you live but I don't think you should need to go over $1000 above invoice. Play the Internet sales guys against each other. If you have USAA or even AAA or Costco, that can usually help you secure right around 500-750 over.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
westcory
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXL4 View Post
I had not heard that before. Has anyone else been told by a dealer that ordered cars don't count against their allocation?

Thanks
I was at seattle BMW today and grinded for a few hours and they arent moving on 335i's.

Ordered cars do count unless you are just taking the next open spot (April ish)
Appreciate 0