E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OT- Pretty nice for a loaner car

01-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
56nomad56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

OT- Pretty nice for a loaner car

Took my 3er in to address a couple of little things (glove compartment wouldn't stay closed, pocket on passenger door rattling, etc.) and Irvine BMW gave me a voucher for a rental at the Hertz at the back of the building.

Expected to get something basic, but was handed the key to a new dark blue/beige 528i with about 30 miles on it (with the new turbo 4). Leather, NAV, satellite radio, the works. Not even a license plate yet. Quite nice for a service loaner.

I like my car better. The car felt like driving a house compared to my e93, but still was somewhat sporty in sport mode. Steering feel was very light, very much like the VW CC I had before my current car. Materials look very nice but somehow seemed to be not as substantial feeling as my car's. Auto start/stop was weird the first few times but you get used to it quickly. Got much better mileage than my car (of course).

This car would appeal to a completely different customer than myself. I've seen a lot around and I can understand the appeal, but I'm not ready yet to step up to big and cushy.

Anyone else driven the new 5 series? Impressions? Most interesting loaner car you've gotten at a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
koruptiondblg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Titanium Silver E92

I've had my dealership give me a new 5 series as a loner before. Its a nice car, loved the idrive with the back up camera, the dash seems okay (love my e92 dash better), and yes it feels like driving a boat! Sport mode is fun, revs up pretty fast and is really smooth on the road. I had the car for 5 days and I couldn't wait to get back into my coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

4 cyl loaner, nice! If I'm not mistaken almost more hp than a 330i and more torque than a 330i. No more 200 ft lbs. like on the old 328. But whole lotta shakin' going on?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

520d as my loaner late last year. To be honest, it was nice and had all the luxury if not a tad more than my E93 but it was summed up for me in one when my Dad got in it and said "I really like this". Now, as a young 20-something, that statement was not cool and to top it off I got a considerable amount of police attention either thinking I'd taken it from my parents withougt consent or stolen it. Like you've all said, she was a boat in comparison to a 335i but I can honestly, as my dad confirmed, see it suit a 50yr old who's after a comfy, luxury cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Drove a new 528i with the 4-cylinder turbo for a while.

Acceleration is very impressive. Definitely more torque low/mid range, with a bit more drop off at high revs.

Had the chance to entertain a 1st gen WRX from a stop, manual, coffee can, etc...
Tied from 0 to 80, with him backing off to get in my lane for the ramp. Felt a bit bad, as I was in the beige 528xi with not a sport feature on it. I guess it didn't help that I was laughing and doing the rocking "go go go" fore and aft during the race.

A 6-cylinder 528 would not have put up quite the fight.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
philiphilip
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite 2008 BMW 335i SP

I haven't driven the new 5 series yet, but best loaner I got from BMW dealership was a 135i convertible. AWESOME little car. Fast as hell, but what do you expect with the twin turbo i6 engine in that car. Too bad it was a rainy day so I couldn't enjoy the open top...
Appreciate 0