E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New Vishnu Methanol Pumps

01-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Exclamation New Vishnu Methanol Pumps

Hi guys,
For the last several weeks, all our PWM Methanol kits have been shipped with a new pump design specifically manufactured by Aquatec for use in system. Compared to the standard 5800 series pump used by others (Coolingmist, Devils Own, AEM, etc,.) our proprietary pump has some key differences:

Motorsport grade 2-piece compression fittings & bushings-- A nice upgrade from the usual, somewhat annoying push-in fittings which tend to leak over time. These compression fittings are the same design as the other compression fittings used in the PWM meth kit... just much bigger (for the 1/4" meth tubing) and complete with rubber o-ringed bushing fitting. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap (they cost us nearly as much as the pump itself!). But it also means that they will NEVER leak. Which is a good thing

Higher Flow Rate-- Our pump spins at 1625RPM compared to the standard pump at 1400rpm. As such, it is rated at 1.3GPM (gallons per min) versus the standard pump's 1.0GPM. What this means is that it is able to maintain system pressure better when running multiple nozzles/high meth flow applications. The higher pump RPM also means less pressure pulsations for a smoother operation. This is immediately noticeable (they sound different) when running both pumps side-by-side.

The price of the new pump (with compression fittings/bushings) is $245. To order, please email us at sales@vishnutuning.com. By no means is this a mandatory upgrade. It's just an improvement to an already well-functioning component. Perhaps something to consider into when it comes time to replace your pump. Older pumps with push-in fittings cannot be retrofitted with compression fittings.

Cheers.
shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Motorsport grade 2-piece compression fittings & bushings-- A nice upgrade from the usual, somewhat annoying push-in fittings which tend to leak over time. These compression fittings are the same design as the other compression fittings used in the PWM meth kit... just much bigger (for the 1/4" meth tubing) and complete with rubber o-ringed bushing fitting.
Cheers.
shiv
Is the rubber o-ring already installed behind the protruding nipple....or does it install inside the tightening compression nut?

Can't see it in the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Is the rubber o-ring already installed behind the protruding nipple....or does it install inside the tightening compression nut?

Can't see it in the pictures.
It provides the seal between the pump head and the tightening nut I'll take some close up pics of the fittings themselves tomorrow and post them up here. They are pretty.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

The orings are at the top of the compression fitting which screws into pump threads and once fully screwed, you can't see it as it is completely sealed
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

This is a pretty awesome pump! These rapid fittings are the best compression fittings for nylon tubing. These suckers are so hard to come by and I have been searching for a week to find them. You have to buy quantity from the Manufacturers in China to have them even send you some. Only place that has them in the USA is out of stock for 4-5 weeks! When my pump ever fails I am buying this pump. Good job Shiv

Last edited by cn555ic; 01-18-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

those look identical to the compression fittings that aquamist uses on the hfs6 (pretty sure), thats a good thing.
      01-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
those look identical to the compression fittings that aquamist uses on the hfs6 (pretty sure), thats a good thing.
That's because they are sourced directly from Aquamist These aren't the inexpensive Camozzi fittings that people have used with varying levels of success. We aren't looking to save a few bucks when the alternative is a pressurized methanol leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Wanna sell me just the tubing? My push fittings on the T are leaking, they suck if you don't cut them perfectly clean and flush.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Wanna sell me just the tubing? My push fittings on the T are leaking, they suck if you don't cut them perfectly clean and flush.
Push-in fittings generally aren't the greatest because, as you see, they are very sensitive to tubing integrity and cut. We have a few thousand feet of meth line here so just call us if you need some
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And here is a close-up of our fittings (they are specifically built for Aquamist):

By comparison, here is a $5 push-in fitting from Camozzi:
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yup beautiful pieces for sure, mine have worked great for over a year. zero leaks. using 90% meth.
      01-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
And here is a close-up of our fittings (they are specifically built for Aquamist):
Good comparison.

Terry is just being his usual cheapskate self on the other forum and having a hoot thinking all procede customers are born suckers. .

Maybe he's right in some regards......meh. But I think it's more a case of

His story made no sense about this being a new "prototype" pump that was recently sent to all vendors for evaluation.

I asked him why the Vishnu version would have a different bypass pressure and he indicated that spring rates can be changed when vendors order the pumps.

Hmmmmm.....so if this is a newly released prototype then how has Vishnu been using it for a couple of months now with custom spring rates?

Honestly if people want to spend a little more for better quality that is their choice.

The burger team always quickly points out that there is no difference between the kits at 100% duty cycle.

Maybe so.....but I don't drive at WOT 100% of the time.

Got it yet guys!

Nice to also see the upcoming programming change to the Procede which manages meth flow more accurately at part-throttle settings.

I was fearful of venturing into meth territory, but have to say that the Vishnu kit is truly plug and play and has excellent driveability.

No regrets.

Last edited by Ilma; 01-19-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

You do understand short term fuel trims have a fairly robust adjustment scale, right? Other than saving some meth at part throttle, the ECU will make the proper adjustments if methanol is introduced at full flow under part throttle conditions. Plenty of logs showing this example in action. If the fuel system wasn't fully closed loop I would be first in line to get a setup like this; but the only benefit in the real world is saving some meth under part throttle and the overall reliability of Aquamist components over their lower-cost PPS competition.
      01-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Good comparison.

Terry is just being his usual cheapskate self on the other forum and having a hoot thinking all procede customers are born suckers. .

Maybe he's right in some regards......meh. But I think it's more a case of

His story made no sense about this being a new "prototype" pump that was recently sent to all vendors for evaluation.

I asked him why the Vishnu version would have a different bypass pressure and he indicated that spring rates can be changed when vendors order the pumps.

Hmmmmm.....so if this is a newly released prototype then how has Vishnu been using it for a couple of months now with custom spring rates?

Honestly if people want to spend a little more for better quality that is their choice.

The burger team always quickly points out that there is no difference between the kits at 100% duty cycle.

Maybe so.....but I don't drive at WOT 100% of the time.

Got it yet guys!

Nice to also see the upcoming programming change to the Procede which manages meth flow more accurately at part-throttle settings.

I was fearful of venturing into meth territory, but have to say that the Vishnu kit is truly plug and play and has excellent driveability.

No regrets.

typical, totally typical.

and lol at the 100% claim, duh!! 100% on a pump is 100% assuming they can both flow the same at 100%, its what they do the other 99% of the time that matters. all comes down to control and programming, both of which Terry has always been bounds behind Vishnu since Terry started playing with resistors......coached along by Shiv until he smelled a rat.
      01-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
so if u are ordering a complete kit it will come with this new pump right? the 245 is only for people looking to upgrade their existing pwm kit?

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
so if u are ordering a complete kit it will come with this new pump right? the 245 is only for people looking to upgrade their existing pwm kit?
comes with the new pump
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
rezN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Austin Yellow

you said that for the last several wks all kits have been sent out with the new pump, but I just picked up my kit from you guys last monday and got the old pump with it

Last edited by rezN; 01-19-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
You do understand short term fuel trims have a fairly robust adjustment scale, right? Other than saving some meth at part throttle, the ECU will make the proper adjustments if methanol is introduced at full flow under part throttle conditions. Plenty of logs showing this example in action. If the fuel system wasn't fully closed loop I would be first in line to get a setup like this; but the only benefit in the real world is saving some meth under part throttle and the overall reliability of Aquamist components over their lower-cost PPS competition.
Ever ask yourself why a pwm meth system that "only" injects a max of 750-850cc/min of meth offers, all other things equal, better knock resistance (smoother timing logs) than a PPS kit that injects 50-100% more? I know some folks prefer to keep their heads in the proverbial sand and ignore this observation. But even that aside, at least you do admit to the pwm kit having lower meth consumption and higher quality components which, believe it or not, is enough for many users who actually track their cars. Being able to get though half a day at Buttonwillow without worrying about leaks, overheating pumps, running dry, etc is a good thing. Something that you, terry, Dzenno and clap may learn if they ever took their cars to a track that involved more than running WOT for 11-13 seconds at a time. There is always a cheaper alternative to anything. But more often than not, it is more compromised on more than one level. And judging be the vehemence of some reactions, I think everyone knows this deep down inside.

And to reiterate, the release of this pump does not imply that something was wrong with the previous pump. It performed great and is still in both our shop 135 and 335. But when the time comes to replace pumps (or run additional nozzles), I'll making the switch. The fittings just just add a bit more peace of mind.

Regards
shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-19-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezN View Post
you said that for the last several wks all kits have been sent out with the new pump, but I just picked up my kit from you guys last monday and got the old pump with it
We had a very limited stock of compression fittings, all of which were shipped out back in early December. In your situation, we had the option to wait for another shipment (which still won't be here for another week) or use the previous pump which we still had in stock. Even for the pictures I posted, I got those fittings from Jeff Howerton.

Since you fall in during the transition period and are local, we can swap your pump out when we get more stock next week. But again, there is nothing wrong with your pump. There are several hundred other PWM users using it quite successfully

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
rezN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
We had a very limited stock of compression fittings, all of which were shipped out back in early December. In your situation, we had the option to wait for another shipment (which still won't be here for another week) or use the previous pump which we still had in stock. Even for the pictures I posted, I got those fittings from Jeff Howerton.

Since you fall in during the transition period and are local, we can swap your pump out when we get more stock next week. But again, there is nothing wrong with your pump. There are several hundred other PWM users using it quite successfully

Shiv
Cool shiv thanks.
other than that the system is amazing and I love it. the install was very easy.
tahnks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I have the older pump and see no need for me to upgrade unless there is a failure or persistent leak, or if you need the extra flow for larger nozzles. When I trimmed the hoses, I used a sharp hose cutter to ensure a clean, perpendicular cut. Or you can use a new, single edge sharp razor blade.

It's been flawless since early November 2011. Since I do intend to track this car, I am glad I went with the PWM setup to ensure smooth delivery at part throttle. Very happy with it, and it was a breeze to install.

Last edited by JamesM3M5; 01-19-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #22
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Terry = Major Fail. Lol!!!!!!!!! He just does not get it.
Appreciate 0