E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > KL Racing FMIC (aka Big Tom) - Datalog Review

01-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Blaizon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe & 335i Sedan

KL Racing FMIC (aka Big Tom) - Datalog Review

Taken from from another site, good info nonetheless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
First off, this thread is about this particular intercooler option. It is sold by KL Racing in Sweden and not sold on eBay. Where it is built isn't known so, yes, it could be China but my latest MacBook Pro is built there as well and its the best laptop on the planet at the moment Please refrain from hateful posts such as those in this thread as they'll be politely ignored and let's concentrate on data.

Also, I will not compare to any other N54 option directly as that would insinuate fmic wars of all sorts. This data is to show the community that there's another option out there for their N54 FMIC and that it does the job just as well if not better in certain cases than a few other N54 FMICs, more expensive, than this one. I WILL not name them and please don't PM me about it LOL

Now that the mandatory disclaimer is out of the way let's dig in.

Installation is already covered in another thread here and yes, it involves CUTTINGGGGG lol if your car is under warranty/lease then this isn't an option for you unless you like explaining it to your service advisor at your fav dealer. See that thread for details on installation or one of Big Tom's great DIYs.

NOTE: If you'll be comparing these datalogs of IATs to other logs online or your own please take note of the following things:

1) Starting temps for the pulls were about 33F. Given that, if you see other logs but in different ambient conditions the results will most likely be different and not directly comparable down to a Fahrenheit (or Celsius).
2) These are on RB turbos (so more air, but also a bit more efficient than stockers)
3) These were done at 16psi down to 14psi. ALL OTHER FMIC datalogs posted that I have seen where IATs and FMIC IAT control have been discussed, especially those posted by vendors, were done on lower boost, mostly peak 12psi, so keep that in mind! (Less boost, less heat, lower/slower IAT rise)

I was thinking what would be the best way of doing this datalogging and I've decided to post a 2-3 pull, a 3-4 pull and a 2-3-4 pull and show IAT rise, as well as, show the IAT decline after doing a long 2-3-4 pull.

Now the logs, these are almost back to back pulls, all completed and datalogged within a couple mins total:

2-3 pull (33F start, 60F end = 27F rise):
http://www.***********.com/images/im...01/log23-1.jpg

1st 3-4 pull (33F start, 64F end = 31F rise):
http://www.***********.com/images/im.../01/log1-1.jpg

2nd 3-4 pull (33F start, 64F end = 31F rise):
http://www.***********.com/images/im.../01/log2-1.jpg

Long 2-3-4 pull (33F start, 75F end = 42F rise):
http://www.***********.com/images/im.../234pull-1.jpg

IAT decay after the above 2-3-4 pull, 1st part:
http://www.***********.com/images/im...fterpull-1.jpg

IAT decay after the above 2-3-4 pull, 2nd part:
http://www.***********.com/images/im...terpull2-1.jpg

IAT decay after the above 2-3-4 pull, 3rd part (down to starting temp):
http://www.***********.com/images/im...terpull3-1.jpg

Total time to come down to starting temp: 30secs after a full 2-3-4 pull above.

Now, once you've had the time to go through the logs carefully don't hesitate on feedback but please read the disclaimer There was NO meth used here on any runs and I didn't cherry pick these logs in ANY way.

My feedback is as follows:

- There's no additional lag over a smaller core volume intercooler i used to run
- IAT rise/suppression is very similar to some popular FMIC options out there in 50F temps, with those at "lower" boost levels.
- IAT decay after a long pull drops amazingly fast. It comes down from 75F down to starting temp of 33F in less than 30secs, that's a really impressively fast 42F drop after doing a pull to me. This will no doubt be different in MUCH hotter conditions but by how much it remains to be seen.
- Pressure drop didn't significantly change as seen from the logs. There is no added WGDC to hit the same boost targets. Logs of WGDC on my previous helix can also be posted but wgdc logs aren't really pretty to look at or analyze. I can post them if anyone feels it'd be worthwhile...

This intercooler costs $300 shipped from KL Racing in Sweden. You need to buy silicone couplers, reducers, joiners and clamps for it so plan another $80 for that from siliconeintakes.com, total if you DIY is $380. IMHO, this FMIC does the job well and is definitely a huge upgrade from the stock FMIC. It does require cutting so its not for everyone. I'm off warranty and am keeping this car and I have no reason to worry about cutting some plastic behind the bumper to fit it This is NOT the CX Racing FMIC, that one is thinner (3.5") and its inlet/outlet are smaller (2.5"). KL Racing FMIC has 3" inlet/outlet and is 4" deep.

Big Tom, thanks for this great find. I'm really happy with it!
      01-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

One thing to keep in mind is the IC in OP is now under evaluation in the worlds fastest 335i w/o N20. It will be interesting to see how it performs with full engine power from the RB turbos and during warm conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Members are bound to hate when this IC costs 1/2 of what they paid. Great results.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
tjockochgammal
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Not bad results, nice!
Bring on the flamers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
mave198
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

If u don't mind all the cutting and slight hassle of mounting that beast, this works. Period

On the other hand the more expensive options have as good cooling abilities in a much smaller neater install, which no doubt adds to r and d cost which makes a $800 fmic cost that much.

Pick your poison.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Its nice when people take the time to get real / accurate results.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post
If u don't mind all the cutting and slight hassle of mounting that beast, this works. Period

On the other hand the more expensive options have as good cooling abilities in a much smaller neater install, which no doubt adds to r and d cost which makes a $800 fmic cost that much.

Pick your poison.
this is the best summary i've seen. DIY is cheaper where the N54 specific kits are designed with minimal cutting/headache. Both seem to perform very similar, so it's just simply a matter of personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

When installed, this IC actually looks really good too....

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50
      01-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
When installed, this IC actually looks really good too....
Looks angry
Appreciate 0