BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
marshyrob
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2017 M Sport

Budget Tyre Concerns

Hi All

New to the X3 forum i drive a 330d coupe.

Just got the missus a 2005 2.5 X3 with 40000 on the clock. Nice car.

Its the sport model but it has those rubbish black plastic bumpers on which i would like to change eventually. Do M Sport bumpers go straight on? It has PDC on front and back.

One concern is that the dealer i got it from was a little indy and they have put 4 new tires on, but they are budget "rockstone" tyres. Ive read a few articles that the X3 has an issue with budget tyres causing the knocking etc. Can anyone confirm if this is for the Sport model or is this just the M-Sport? Dont really want to have issues caused by wrong tryes.

BTW it has 18" BMW 143 sytle wheels on.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F07 535i GT

Hi. The best advice is never as in NEVER EVER driive any BMW without high quality, high performance rubber. The car is better than most drivers and if you push it anywhere to its limits its usually the poor quality components that give way first. Especially from a safety perspective. Unless you have increased the wife's life insurance any are rubbing your hands in anticpation of her hitting that nice icy road one morning, (which I am sure your'e not), then get a decent set of Pirellis or Continentals. Ingore any advice which says "Oh but I used these Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese copies which are greaaaat".

But once you have good rubber on then take it to an advanced driving course and see how far and fast the bloody thing will go.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
marshyrob
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2017 M Sport

thanks for the comment dude. I sorta think that already as i have a E92 coupe and i would never have budget tyres on. Its just that the wife is literally poodling about in the x3 and will never drive it in snow/ice as she hates it. I was more concerned about the damage reports that people are talking about, but im not sure if thats just for the newer M Sport models.
Appreciate 0