E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Refunding a used item?

11-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Refunding a used item?

Hi everyone,

I know this could go under the wheels and tires section but I wanted to get a more general conclusion.

I sold my wheels to a board member about a month or so ago without any knowledge of wheel damage or whatever. I had new tires installed about 2 weeks before I sold the set and my tire shop did not mention anything along the lines of damage.

So a month later I get a call from the buyer saying one of the wheels has a slight bend in it. I think to myself, wow, ok, I will pay for part of the repair job. I don't want to be a douche and I like my reputation to be good so I obliged.

Today, he calls me and says two more of the wheels have slight wobble in them and can't be road-force balanced. Here is the video...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/*****dn54ftw/6307686041/

He wants his money back ($1,750) and will give me back the wheels. I am in a pickle because I already spent most of the money on the widebody conversion and I "currently" do not have that kind of cash laying around at the moment.

My question to all of you is...

1) Should it be my responsibility even though I didn't have any knowledge about the "wobble" and did not feel it driving around
2) Should I tell him that he bought a "used set" of wheels and that they come "as-is?"
3) Should I offer to fix the wheels and keep the original money?
4) If I do disagree to give them back will that tarnish my e90 rep?
5) Is the wobble even that much of a difference?
6) Don't all wheels have some wobble after a time of use? I don't remember any big ditches for I carefully drive my car and don't even DD it...

Thanks in advance guys. I want to be fair, but just giving all that money back is really hard and I need your opinions. I also am calling my tire shop to see if they remember any "wobble" in the wheels when I had them mounted a month ago.

Thanks again.

Mike

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

What I want to know is why you have an E90 with a rear seat delete

Seriously though - it's tough but shit happens. Depends on the other member, too - how long he's been on the forums, his feedback and so on. I sold something once to another senior member, and when stuff didn't work out for him, I took it back because I felt I could trust him that something was wrong. But if it's been over a month... that's tricky too, as you can't be sure he didn't mount the wheels, run them into a pothole and then claim against you.

I'd maybe give him some money back ($100? $200?) and consider the matter closed. That should cover the repair of one wheel - the "wobble" is somewhat of an arbitrary complaint I think.
      11-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

I'm in a bad mood so:

1) No, unless you knew about the wobble, which would make it morally wrong. But you already addressed this.
2) Yes.
3) They may not be repairable.
4) No/Who cares..It's an internet car forum.
5) If you can notice the wobble barely spinning, imagine it at 80MPH.
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
What I want to know is why you have an E90 with a rear seat delete

Seriously though - it's tough but shit happens. Depends on the other member, too - how long he's been on the forums, his feedback and so on. I sold something once to another senior member, and when stuff didn't work out for him, I took it back because I felt I could trust him that something was wrong. But if it's been over a month... that's tricky too, as you can't be sure he didn't mount the wheels, run them into a pothole and then claim against you.

I'd maybe give him some money back ($100? $200?) and consider the matter closed. That should cover the repair of one wheel - the "wobble" is somewhat of an arbitrary complaint I think.
Even senior member could not be trusted!!

After i experienced this:
i bought a set of wheel from a senior member here, which he say is flawless, no curb rash and rear tire 50%.
It took 2 months to arrive with tons of BS story to cover his ass.
the wheel got 2 beat up completely bald tire and 2 mixed tire on. the wheel themself have cracked paint and tons of curb rash.
he promised 200 refund which will not cover even for the bald tire and only receive like $100is and he is completely gone in the forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
PennyLane
Registered
Rep
Drives: Really Sexy

Fuck em'

wobble sschwabblle.... give him $200 max and never respond to his texts again. love you babe
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Lemonjello
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is

Too much time has passed, I wouldn't do anything.
How can you know he didn't drive them for a month and hit a few potholes?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Unless he brought up the issue immediately, there is no way to prove that he did not damage the wheels.

I say this as a buyer too, I purchased 16" stars for my 2008 Mini where one rim was listed as having "slight rim damage". I'm thinking curb rash.

I get the rims and don't check them and put them in my garage until it comes time to mount my winter tires, then low and behold I find a 3 inch hole in the rim. Not repairable. By the time I got back to the guy he was long gone.

Check when you buy, buyer beware.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

1) Should it be my responsibility even though I didn't have any knowledge about the "wobble" and did not feel it driving around
No. You state your tire shop didn't mention anything along the lines of damage. I'm assuming you have somewhat of a good relationship with your tire shop(Since you're heavily modded)? Even if you didn't, I'm sure any reputable and well-run tire shop will tell you if any damage was noticed while putting on new tires.

2) Should I tell him that he bought a "used set" of wheels and that they come "as-is?"
Yes. It's the buyer's responsibility to check, double-check, even triple-check for damage and that they're 100% sure about the purchase. A month or more is a lot of time not to notice something wrong with wheels.

3) Should I offer to fix the wheels and keep the original money?
How much will it be to "fix" the wheels? Do you "currently" have cash around to pay for it? You could always do this just to be a cool dude if it won't hurt you financially at the moment.

But....

No. You said he called you a month later saying there's a slight bend in it. Did you pay for it (I wasn't certain in your post)? Then you state he called you today, saying two more of the wheels have a slight wobble in them and can't be road-forced balanced. How much time was in between from when he reported the bend and the wobble? How did the buyer not know of the slight wobble on two wheels, when he reported the slight bend?

4) If I do disagree to give them back will that tarnish my e90 rep?
I don't think so. The only situation where I think it would tarnish your reputation is if you sold him the wheels, he put them on the same or day after, he reported problems to you immediately, and you denied anything or didn't try to help him out.

Even in that situation, it's 100% quite possible he could've inflicted the damage himself within that short time frame. After-all, you said your tire shop didn't relay anything to you about damage when putting on new tires.

5) Is the wobble even that much of a difference?
I don't have any personal experience with it.

6) Don't all wheels have some wobble after a time of use? I don't remember any big ditches for I carefully drive my car and don't even DD it...
I don't have any personal experience with it.

Last edited by Royal Flush; 11-03-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Can you post the tracking number so we can see the date the buyer received the wheels? Assuming a "month or so" would mean that the buyer received them Oct 3.

What was the first date the buyer attempted to contacted you about the wheel damage?

How about the particulars of your sale advert (link to post)? What condition did you use to describe the wheels?

These are key details that you left out above.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
It's fine, I agreed to pay for the repair of the wheels. I didn't want to tarnish my rep here or leave the customer hanging. As is well.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
It's fine, I agreed to pay for the repair of the wheels. I didn't want to tarnish my rep here or leave the customer hanging. As is well.
That's very kind of you. Now let's see that body kit you've got on your car.
      11-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I think the fact that you were willing to pay for part of a repair says something about you. So in the end, I don't think you should have to take the wheels back. it's a shame when deals don't go down right, but you can only do so much.

I guess I'm weird--to avoid what you're going through, I've never sold off my rims for my Nissan. I have 3 sets of 18's, each set with 3 rims--that's 9 perfectly good rims, one bent. Take up a lot of space...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Hey it's buyer beware...You sold them as used and stated you had no knowledge of any of these rims being bent so "Maybe" offer 150 bucks with no refund after all you are not Tire Rak. Take care man and don't sweat it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well played sir.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Hey it's buyer beware...You sold them as used and stated you had no knowledge of any of these rims being bent so "Maybe" offer 150 bucks with no refund after all you are not Tire Rak. Take care man and don't sweat it.
I agree, on a small transaction there is no ability to spread out the risk. And if the buyer comes back with 3 or 4 rims need repair, I'd say you get a refund minus shipping both ways. For all anybody knows, there's nothing wrong with any of the rims (OP had no knowledge) and the buyer is just reducing the amount he paid for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just felt it was the right thing to do. It just pushes back my schedule for front wide body.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #18
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
30 days provide more than an ample amount of time for the buyer to inspect for any problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #19
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 View Post
30 days provide more than an ample amount of time for the buyer to inspect for any problems.
Yes, but when did the 30 days begin?

Appreciate 0