E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod connection problem w/ 6Fl option

05-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

iPod connection problem w/ 6Fl option

I just picked up my ordered 335i coupe this afternoon, which has the 6Fl USB/iPod option. In case you're keeping score, mine did have the leather iPod holder in the center console, and there was a USB/USB cable in the car from BMW, but not the iPod multi-pin to the USB-miniplug cable, but the parts dept. had it in stock and gave me one at no charge. When I connect my iPod (4th gen. video) it simply says "Okay to Disconnect", and I get no iPod choice on the radio menu, just "USB". When I push "USB" on the radio, it displays "Empty.". Pushing the "Aux" button on the radio does nothing. I tried my Apple iPod to USB cable, and it does the same thing. I've tried putting the iPod in disc mode, and still nothing with either cable. It does briefly flash "Load" under the USB button on the radio, when the iPod's in disc mode using the Apple iPod/USB cable, but then goes to "Empty" almost immediately. I can hear the iPod "Click" through the stereo when I push the menu buttons with the volume turned up high, but still no music loading.

I've searched the archives and pretty much tried everything I came across, so any help would be appreciated. The car is great but I'm a little disappointed that I can't get this iPod thing sorted out, and my Samsung Blackjack doesn't seem to pair with the radio's bluetooth. I didn't buy a 335i for the gadgets, but they at least helped me rationalize getting it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Do you have mass storage mode enabled for the iPod?? Just a guess. Seems like it is being seen as mass storage.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

so you're saying you have the cable that has the usb and the aux connection? because the audio comes through the aux and not the usb. if the aux isn't connected your not going to get audio because it's expecting to see it there, the usb is for communication with the device. also, like LedZep said, make sure the ipod is in it's regular mode like when you disconnect it, does it go back to regular menus and stuff.\?
      05-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

If you had mp3 files on your ipod, and not just itunes music, then those would show up... but to make your itunes songs work, like others have said, make sure you use the cable that hooks to both the audio aux input and the usb, it uses the aux for sound, and the usb port for serial control and display commands.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
so you're saying you have the cable that has the usb and the aux connection? because the audio comes through the aux and not the usb. if the aux isn't connected your not going to get audio because it's expecting to see it there, the usb is for communication with the device. also, like LedZep said, make sure the ipod is in it's regular mode like when you disconnect it, does it go back to regular menus and stuff.\?
I've got the proper iPod cable with the miniplug and USB jack on one end, and iPod multi-pin on the other. If I only connect the miniplug end to the car, I can get sound from the iPod, but no iPod control, and can control my iPod manually. As soon as I plug the USB cable in, my iPod shows "Okay to Disconnect" and nothing from there. When I push the USB button on the radio, it shows "Empty". When the iPod is configured as a mass storage device, it still does nothing. I tired my iPod Nano, and it does exactly the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep

No- i get the 'Ok to Disconnect' in my screen when its connected and it works fine. I'm thinking it may lie with the IDrive and maybe a software revision is required to work with the Usb connection.
      05-08-2007, 02:16 AM   #7
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe 6MT

One other possibility...it might take some time before the iPod is usable. I could be wrong...that may only be for MP3 files...but I thought it took some time for the iPod to "index". My point being...have you tried pluggin the iPod in and leaving it for 15 minutes or so before trying to use it?

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 04:11 AM   #8
petros15978
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d & E90 318i

You should try formatting your ipod for use with a PC (Windows) and not MAC. I believe this is the cause for your problems. Don't kill me if I am wrong, but I think I 've read somewhere in the forum, that an ipod (post 3rd version) has to be Windows formatted, if it is to work with the 6FL option. On the other hand, if you don't own a Windows based PC, you are in trouble.
Hope I am wrong though and it's a car software problem, for which it is your dealer's problem and responsibility to rectify at no cost.
Hope I have been of some help.
Petros
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I think petros could be correct on this one. If you're not formatted PC that is likely the problem.

Another thought is to borrow one that is formatted PC to be sure it works.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My iPod is Windows format. I just cleaned everything off my iPod and I'm going to manually manage my playlists and only have one playlist with my music, and no videos and see what happens. It might just be that I've got way too much stuff on the iPod, and the videos and playlists (several seasons of "Lost" and "The Office" and about 20 playlists) might be the problem. I've got a few iPods so I'll probably end up dedicating one to the car once this gets sorted. One thing I don't understand is the need for the Aux cable along with the USB when connecting the iPod to the car with the BMW cable. I was able to connect the iPod and get sound into the car using the Apple cable (abeit with garbled playlist text), which just has a USB connector, so analog audio must come through the USB.

One thing I've noticed is that the standard radio in the E90 I just traded kills the system in the 335i coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #11
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post

One thing I've noticed is that the standard radio in the E90 I just traded kills the system in the 335i coupe.
Do you mean the standard 10-speaker Hi-Fi system in an E90 versus the Logic 7 in the E92?

Many have complained that the sound in the E92 is nowhere near as good and this seems to have to do with the acoustical properties of the coupé.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I think petros could be correct on this one. If you're not formatted PC that is likely the problem.

Another thought is to borrow one that is formatted PC to be sure it works.
So a connection designed for use with an Apple product, won't work if that product is formatted for a Mac? That will really piss me off. Yes, I have access to a PC, but I really don't want to have to manage my music on two computers.

I had the same problem, but thought it was because I had a third-gen iPod. My wife's Mini and second-gen Nano work fine, but they're PC-formatted. I guess I'll try formatting one of hers for the Mac and trying it before I go buy a new one.

If it has to be Windows formatted, I second your sig.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjames View Post
So a connection designed for use with an Apple product, won't work if that product is formatted for a Mac? That will really piss me off. Yes, I have access to a PC, but I really don't want to have to manage my music on two computers.

I had the same problem, but thought it was because I had a third-gen iPod. My wife's Mini and second-gen Nano work fine, but they're PC-formatted. I guess I'll try formatting one of hers for the Mac and trying it before I go buy a new one.

If it has to be Windows formatted, I second your sig.

Richard
I admit that's pretty lame, but it might be the case. My ipod replacement was already formatted for windows but shows up fine with my mac and Itunes. The only reason I knew it was Windows format is because the get info window told me that, otherwise operation is as normal. hopefully thats the problem.
      05-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

As I understand it, if you are using the official cable then you are okay with ipods formatted on Macs, as well as DRM protected music!

All that however is not an issue here, as it is Windows formatted?

Have you tried resetting your ipod. When they are used for a long time they do tend to lock up a little. I hammer my ipod generally, and every now and again need to do a reset. This was an issue using the Dension link on my past car.

You know, where you slide the lock on and off, then hold down the centre buttong and the pause key (I think, or is it the play key) until the apple logo appears?

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #15
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I still can't get my iPod to work with this radio, and now I'm fairly pissed! These are the facts of the problem. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think so...

1. Windows iPod, and I have several iPods and tried them all, and they all do the same thing.

2. BMW 6FL option, and proper BMW iPod cable w/ Aux plus and USB to Apple multipin.

3. If I only plus the miniplug part of the BMW cable into the AUX jack, I get audio through the system's AUX input, and can use the iPod for control (just like the standard AUX input would give if you didn't have the 6FL option. This at least means that the cable appears to be working (unless the USB part of the cable is somehow defective).

4. When connected as above, as soon as I plug the USB part of the BMW cable in the the USB jack, my iPod displays "Okay to Disconnect" and nothing else happens. When I choose the "USB" button on the radio, it displays "EMPTY". I've tried waiting for an hour with it connected like this, and nothing happens.

5. I've tried all of the above with the iPod in "hard disk" mode as well as normal mode, and it doesn't work either way. I've tried hard-booting the iPod immediately before connecting it, and while connected, with and without the radio on, and still nothing.

6. This is where it gets good! If I put my iPod in "hard disk" mode, and just plug my Apple multipin-to-USB into the jack, it connects and recognizes the iPod. The artist and album names come up as strange gibberish like "F00" and "swby", but the song titles will show up if you can work through the gibberish menus. This will only work when the connect the iPod in "hard disk" mode.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, you can force your iPod into "hard disk" mode without connecting it to iTunes. You do a hard boot (hold down the menu and select button until you get the Apple logo, then immediately hold down the Play/Pause and select button.

I'm thinking there must be some sort of software update that this radio needs, but maybe someone else here has run into this and has an answer. I've searched the archives here and at Bimmerfest to death and haven't come across one yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 12:55 AM   #16
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

Here's another quick item to check, is your ipod updated to the latest firmware?

Somewhere in all the threads I saw that they were saying that ipods worked when updated after a certain firmware? Not sure this is the case with yours, but its potentially another point to check?

If you have the latest I think the next stop would be the dealer!

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #17
petros15978
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d & E90 318i

What I can see here is that the usb port of your car is connected to 12v battery (normal) but it is not connected to the radio cd itself. Taken into account, however, that the battery connection and the serial connection is the same (i.e. the usb port carries the small amount of current that is produced by the serial connection to the radio cd) I am forced to assume that your 6FL cable is faulty!!!
I cannot imagine why a brand new car would have any software problems with a factory-installed option. It would not have passed the final quality control tests. I have a test I call upon myself as far as usb periferals is concerned. Take the usb 6FL cable and connect it to any usb port of your pc. Should the message "new hardware found" appear on the lower right hand corner of your screen, you can safely assume that the cable is in perfect condition. In any other case (i.e. nothing happens when you connect the cable to the pc) take the car and the cable, together with your ipod to the dealer straight away.
Forgive me if what I suggest here is only time consuming and rather inconvenient to you, but I am only trying to save you some time. Re-installing the new progman version to your car will definitely take a lot longer than trying a few more things yourself, before taking your car to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #18
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good idea to check the 6FL cable with my pc. I'm pretty sure my iPod's software is current, but I'll double-check that as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
derek0480
DROPPIN' LOADS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Question major issues as well

when I plug mine into the 6FL jack, I get about 80% of my songs and about 80% of those that I do get have jumbled names like:

aset
rjrr
jhtb
wogr
hijb
yuhh
gmro

or whatever...all 4 letter codes...can't figure this out but it is pissing me off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8GB nano (brand new) and a brand new 335i coupe
      05-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #20
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek0480 View Post
when I plug mine into the 6FL jack, I get about 80% of my songs and about 80% of those that I do get have jumbled names like:

aset
rjrr
jhtb
wogr
hijb
yuhh
gmro

or whatever...all 4 letter codes...can't figure this out but it is pissing me off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8GB nano (brand new) and a brand new 335i coupe
Make sure you have the correct ipod cable, not just the usb to usb cable.
      05-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #21
derek0480
DROPPIN' LOADS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
I am just using the white cable that I got with my nano. I didn't get a Y cable from the dealer. I am tracking my CA down right now to get me one....but could that really be the problem...the cable?
      05-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #22
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek0480 View Post
I am just using the white cable that I got with my nano. I didn't get a Y cable from the dealer. I am tracking my CA down right now to get me one....but could that really be the problem...the cable?
Ja, indeed.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired