E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dealership saying I need a program update to support new phones for bluetooth

10-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
wootang_clan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i & E46 M3 Vert

Dealership saying I need a program update to support new phones for bluetooth

I took my car in for service to have them look at my air conditioning. While I had it in the dealership, I had them take a look at my bluetooth since it was cutting out when I turned my car off (my old phone used to stay on until I removed my FOB). They are telling me that I need a programming update and it's not covered under my CPO warranty. Further more, they are telling me that if I don't do the update and keep using my phone, it'll mess up other parts on my car. Has this happened to anyone else? It sound like BS to me.

I have a 2006 330i.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
cole92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: too much

Sounds like bs. Tell them if it's that unsafe then why is it not covered under warranty?

Normally software updates aren't covered but i don't see in this case why it's your fault the car doesn't work correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Sounds like BS. I'd ask them why specifically the car needs a software update in order for the bluetooth, which is a function that your car is supposed to have, does not work properly. If they tell you it's your phone, you might have to try a different phone or two but that shouldn't be the case.

Of course, have them put it down in writing exactly what they say the problem is and how they intend to fix it. Should make you feel a little more secure if the issue is real, and gives you something to show to management if they are trying to jerk you around.

Bluetooth should probably be covered under CPO, but I'm not sure. BMW NA says that "accessories" are not covered.
"Accessories:
Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories."
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Warranty2.aspx

Last edited by zivyn; 10-25-2011 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Incomplete
Appreciate 0