BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

New tires available for 1M

I just noticed some news about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I was interested since some months: According to tirerack they are available in 265/35 19s, the front sizes were already in stock. The estimated arrival date is noted as 9th of December 2011. I am already in contact with them to see if I can put an order now or wait till December.

For people who will go and check the tirerack web site you have to choose 2012 as the model year, 1M is a 2012 model car there.

Since most of the 1M owners, unlike me, live in the Northern hemisphere you should also be pleased to see that there is another new tire which is available for 1M with the factory fit sizes: The promosing new high performance winter tire; Pirelli Winter 270 Sottozero Serie ii. Winter is approaching "up there" and I would be interested to have a set of those so I thought I should notify fellow forum members There is already a few user reviews you can read which are mostly positive.

I am having the delivery of my VO 1M here in Santiago de Chile in a few days, the car is at the port/customs since last Tuesday and has just 1 km. on it. I know because like some other 1M owners I made the dealer take a photo of the odometer for me after they said I just can't go to the port and have a look at the car! I am looking forward to put a comparison of the feeling of the car with PS2s and SSs on it when it will be possible. By the way, I assume both new M5 and coming M3 will have them as OEM unlike our 1M. I am saying this because they were available at the time of production and even before in Europe and it is official news that BMW M Division had contributed to the development process of this tire together with Porsche. 1M should be the first new M car to have them but I guess BMW management did not have that much faith on 1M at that time and it was all about "using the existing parts" from the stocks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I have the SS already in my basement
The Sottozero S2 are mounted
I had not yet the change to drive the car with the Pilot SS, really curious how they perform compared the PS2.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I'm also interested to hear how the new SS will compare to the PS2 on the 1M.

I recently made a similar swap on my daily driver, going from the PS2 to the SS. It was a huge leap in performance- the PS2 wasn't may favorite summer tire, though it did have impressive turn-in and decent dry grip. The PSS is on a whole different level; turn in isn't as good, but everything else about the tire is much better.

That said, I wasn't running BMW M3 spec PS2s, and those are significantly better than standard PS2s. For example a friend who works for one of the big 3 tested the 285 PS2s from the M5 vs the 265 PS2s from the M3 and found the M3 tires gripped better despite the smaller size. Thus I would expect the change from PS2s to SSs to be smaller on the 1M, though still noticeable. The only risk is that either the 245 was designed for rear fitment or the 265 was designed for front. If that is the case then it's possible the SS won't be a good choice- not sure the tire rack guys would know this, but someone at Michelin would.

I'm hoping they will eventually make a BMW spec SS for the E90 M3/ 1M- the best of all worlds.