ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
dantm
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Careing for the soft top?

Hi, so I'm about to go into a carwash tomorrow to detail my car coming out of the winter (since the weather is constantly nice around here now ;-)...

One issue is over the winter the top has gotten some little stains (some from salt, some from rain or bird drops that washed away, etc.) and I want to get them out...

Would you guys recommend just manually washing the top with a soap solution and then using a soft brush on it to clean it, after which I could rinse it out? I know that BMW has brought to market a soft top care solution but I don't have that so in the meantime what do you guys recommend?

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

dantm; goodness hon....sorry no one has posted a response to you yet. I use Ragg Topp. It comes with a cleaner and then when your top is dry, you layer with the sealent. I bought a very, very soft brush (that is used for softtops), and gently scrub with that. I do not use it for anything else. Be careful that your soap and brush is gentle. I have not used the BMW stuff, but I have heard it is just as good as the Ragg Topp brand.

Also, be sure you get the proper treatment for the kind of top you have. I'm pretty sure all BMW's use fabric. But just check to be sure, unless you already know. Vinyl is treated and sealed differently from fabric.

Oh, and I would be careful of car washes. Don't use the ones with the little bristles - I wouldn't wash my mower with those lol!

Good luck - gotta take care of that top
Appreciate 0