E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > sound upgrade: from standard to Logic7

10-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep
Drives: E90

sound upgrade: from standard to Logic7

Hello

My music system is standard and i want to upgrade to Logic7. I want to know if it's worth it and in what this upgrade consists of? I mean do i have to code/programme the car after ? I know Logic7 runs on fiber optic cable , so i need to switch all cables with fiber optic cable.

What else needs to be done?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ins1dez View Post
Hello

My music system is standard and i want to upgrade to Logic7. I want to know if it's worth it and in what this upgrade consists of? I mean do i have to code/programme the car after ? I know Logic7 runs on fiber optic cable , so i need to switch all cables with fiber optic cable.

What else needs to be done?
What do you mean upgrade to logic7? If you mean you want the Logic7/HK sound system option (677) its going to be an expensive upgrade... Give you an idea the amp on its own is about $1,200, and after all that you'll have a mediocre sound.

If you mean you want the Logic7, multi-channel surrond sound processing. Then all you want is a JBL MS-8, which has Logic7 built-in (which you can turn off as some people dont like it), along side a world-class DSP and a perky 8 channel amp (all-in-one small box which fits in the trunk). Its about a 1/3 of the price of the 677 amp, change the front stage inc underseat midbass and hey presto you'll have a high-end car system for less then $1000...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You can have better than logic 7 for the same price

You can have better than logic 7 for the same price or less at least here in the US.

You need to know which BMW system you are starting out with though.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407085

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1266451970

For the standard system you need
a processor and amp or processor/amp
typicaly JL cleansweep(only flattens head output) or JBL ms-8 (if you want surround sound)
aftermarket amp
and speaker upgrades

do a search on ms-8 here to see the system examples

there are many examples of systems here.
such as

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954

Last edited by ctuna; 10-11-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep

I am not from USA and i will not be buying NEW. I will get secondparts.. and its like 700-800 Euros. If i want to make my own music it will cost more then 1000 euros.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not from USA and i will not be buying NEW. I will get secondparts.. and its like 700-800 Euros. If i want to make my own music it will cost more then 1000 euros.
Because these are all original BMW parts they are very expensive, and if you are looking to get them used/scrapped it will be rare to find a complete system.

Not sure of your set-up but from a guess, if you've got the base system, then you prob don’t have tweeters or a center/dashboard speaker, as an example for your could do this:

1 x JBL MS-8 - €350
3 x Slick4 (inc tweeters) - €60 (Left, Right and Center)
2 x Earthquake SWS8 - €190 (underseat)
1 x Vibe LiteBox 4 - €150 (to power L & R mids, and L & R midbass (underseat). The new center speaker and OEM rears are powered from the MS-8)
A few extra bits and pieces (harness, cables, spacers, adapters etc..) - €80

Grand total of €830 of Brand New! High Quality equipment!

This would be a Night and Day sound system compared with the Logic7 (677) IMO..

If you want to change rear L & R (don’t make huge difference) and/or go with high-end front stage component speakers and HQ amp then you could have a State-Of-The-Art sound system for around €1000.

Check this DIY to get an understanding of what can be achieved.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlo View Post
Because these are all original BMW parts they are very expensive, and if you are looking to get them used/scrapped it will be rare to find a complete system.

Not sure of your set-up but from a guess, if you've got the base system, then you prob don’t have tweeters or a center/dashboard speaker, as an example for your could do this:

1 x JBL MS-8 - €350
3 x Slick4 (inc tweeters) - €60 (Left, Right and Center)
2 x Earthquake SWS8 - €190 (underseat)
1 x Vibe LiteBox 4 - €150 (to power L & R mids, and L & R midbass (underseat). The new center speaker and OEM rears are powered from the MS-8)
A few extra bits and pieces (harness, cables, spacers, adapters etc..) - €80

Grand total of €830 of Brand New! High Quality equipment!

This would be a Night and Day sound system compared with the Logic7 (677) IMO..

If you want to change rear L & R (don’t make huge difference) and/or go with high-end front stage component speakers and HQ amp then you could have a State-Of-The-Art sound system for around €1000.

Check this DIY to get an understanding of what can be achieved.
+1, what about component speakers?
      10-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep

Where did you get those prices? I can't find Earthquake sws8 in Europe. Only usa and it costs a lost + transport + custom fees

Also JBL MS-8 is 599$ on amazon... + transport + custom fees... will be enough.

I need to get them from inside UE I see you are from England, maybe you can tell me where you find those prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Where did you get those prices? I can't find Earthquake sws8 in Europe. Only usa and it costs a lost + transport + custom fees

Also JBL MS-8 is 599$ on Amazon... + transport + custom fees... will be enough.

I need to get them from inside UE I see you are from England, maybe you can tell me where you find those prices.
Earthquake SWS8
  • The SWS8 are best to get from flebay US, they are currently doing a pair of 8XI (2ohms) for €180 and have a send-best-offer, so they will prob accept €160 (but I would of course offer less first )
  • €50 for Priority Mail International shipping (6-10 days)
  • 24% VAT = about €40 (make sure they stat the value is less than $150 or there is a duty charge of 2.2%)
= about €250 total Landed cost

JBL MS-8
  • The reason is JBL only sells their kit to authorised retailers, other shops struggle to get hold of it. Hence they all sell it close to the RRP. What you want to do is wait until it appears on Amazon or eBay, used or a one-off new unit, they normal sell at about 1/2 the price, so about €350.
  • Same applies to a pair of used SWS8, about $150 the pair.

What I do is take my time and over a period of 3-4 months buy kit online, I wait and always buy at the lowest possible point (plus money comes in each month so always got good cash-flow ) and remember premium stuff does not mean you need to pay a premium price.

And here in the UK some sound equipment is really well priced like for example those Slick 4s are €36 for the pair!! (As vibe is a British company), and top-of-the-range 4"s like the Focal 100KRS are €230 (from an official dealer) compared with the normal $600/$700 price tag on them in the US (even on ebay!!) (They are made in France, so cheap import to the UK)

So shop around, research, and look at all your options... Remember!! There is a reason of why all of us go down this route, and it’s not because we have money to waste (we are still in recession hehe), or dun care about quality, to the contra, we want the best for our buck!!

Welcome to the rest of your life researching, planning and purchasing and chasing the never ending goal of perfection. There is no cure, once you’re hooked its over… Welcome...

Last edited by Pavlo; 10-12-2011 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
rG-tom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY2021 M550i

Are the slik4s a straight swap out for the OEM speakers, and will the tweeters fit in the standard tweeter mount?

Also, how do they compare to the Alpine speakers?

Considering just doing the front LR speakers first, then adding an amp, then getting some SWS8s, rather than going down the alpine route?

Cheers

Tom.
Previous: 2002 E46 330i M-Sport (m54b30 LCI), 2007 E92 335D M-Sport Coupe (m57), 2003 z4 3.0i (m54b30), 2010 E92 325D M-Sport Coupe (n57 LCI), 2019 F36 430i M-Sport Pro Gran Coupe, 2018 F36 440i M-Sport Pro Gran Coupe MPPSK
Current: MY2021 M550i, Aventurin Red, Ivory Nappa, Comfort Pack, Tech+
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rG-tom View Post
Are the slik4s a straight swap out for the OEM speakers, and will the tweeters fit in the standard tweeter mount?

Also, how do they compare to the Alpine speakers?

Considering just doing the front LR speakers first, then adding an amp, then getting some SWS8s, rather than going down the alpine route?

Cheers

Tom.
Yes this sounds like a good route to go down,

Slick4s are very shallow same sort of depth as the original (see below links, 1st one), but have a 4 hole mount and the original ones have 3 hole mounting, so you would need a speaker adapter. But if you choose to mount them into the center channel you would need to cut of 2 of the mounting lips, and screw it down with a large washer.

Check this guide on installing the Slick4s and another link how they are used in conjunction with an install.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477443

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...13&postcount=1

The tweeters are attached on the Slick4s as they are coaxial speaker with the x-over built-in, this is the main reason why people mostly mount them as rears or center (and they are cheap ). Normally you would have a set of component 4” for the front L/R with a bigger, better separate x-over and separately mounted tweeter in the door seal for better sound ambience. The Slick4s are 50w RMS but peak at 150w, so should be good to be hit at 100w, as alot of people have here… The reason I suggested them above as L/R front and center, is too keep the costs down, as he may not have the tweeter mounts as it’s a base system so he would need to order new pillars, and that’s a extra cost.

The problem with the alpine kit is not speakers they are actually quite good, it’s the amp and the way you need to wire it, it leaves no options for the future (i.e cant power the SWS8) its quite weak and its very pricey! Just ordering the MS-8 and adding some used Hifi tweets for the price of that Alpine kit, Would give you a better sound on your OEM system, IMO…
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep

so if you will get all new it will be more then 1000 Euro's like i was saying.. Any answer to my questions ? I can find a Logic7 system from dismantled cars, so it will be ok
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so if you will get all new it will be more then 1000 Euro's like i was saying.. Any answer to my questions ? I can find a Logic7 system from dismantled cars, so it will be ok
Grand total of €830 of Brand New!!!!

If your looking to get eveything used, which is what you are doing!! You CAN'T compare brand new, and used from a scrapped car. If you want used/old stuff then that whole package, including shipping and all taxes will cost no more then €700... USED!! So your calulations are incorrect. Your confusing chalk and cheese!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
rG-tom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlo View Post
Yes this sounds like a good route to go down,

Slick4s are very shallow same sort of depth as the original (see below links, 1st one), but have a 4 hole mount and the original ones have 3 hole mounting, so you would need a speaker adapter. But if you choose to mount them into the center channel you would need to cut of 2 of the mounting lips, and screw it down with a large washer.

Check this guide on installing the Slick4s and another link how they are used in conjunction with an install.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477443

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...13&postcount=1

The tweeters are attached on the Slick4s as they are coaxial speaker with the x-over built-in, this is the main reason why people mostly mount them as rears or center (and they are cheap ). Normally you would have a set of component 4” for the front L/R with a bigger, better separate x-over and separately mounted tweeter in the door seal for better sound ambience. The Slick4s are 50w RMS but peak at 150w, so should be good to be hit at 100w, as alot of people have here… The reason I suggested them above as L/R front and center, is too keep the costs down, as he may not have the tweeter mounts as it’s a base system so he would need to order new pillars, and that’s a extra cost.

The problem with the alpine kit is not speakers they are actually quite good, it’s the amp and the way you need to wire it, it leaves no options for the future (i.e cant power the SWS8) its quite weak and its very pricey! Just ordering the MS-8 and adding some used Hifi tweets for the price of that Alpine kit, Would give you a better sound on your OEM system, IMO…
Ah thanks. If I wanted to keep the tweeters seperate ( I have a coupe so only need the mounts) what's the best aftermarket tweeters and mids? I dont want tweets by my knees I've heard the hifi tweeters aren't the best?

cheers,

Tom.
Previous: 2002 E46 330i M-Sport (m54b30 LCI), 2007 E92 335D M-Sport Coupe (m57), 2003 z4 3.0i (m54b30), 2010 E92 325D M-Sport Coupe (n57 LCI), 2019 F36 430i M-Sport Pro Gran Coupe, 2018 F36 440i M-Sport Pro Gran Coupe MPPSK
Current: MY2021 M550i, Aventurin Red, Ivory Nappa, Comfort Pack, Tech+
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep

why do you need a sound processor like jbl ms-8 for ?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
why do you need a sound processor like jbl ms-8 for ?
Well that's a good question and I am sure a lot of people here can better explain this but just to give you a brief/basic idea..

Your current Base stereo has an in-built factory EQ to make up for the crap sounds and lack of tweeters in the car. To enable your new speakers to function, you will need to either get your car recoded by the BMW dealers to HiFi OR, better yet, buy yourself a JBL MS-8 or an Audison Bit.One. This will not only flatten that in-built factory EQ, it will process the sound to a much higher quality so when you have installed your new speakers/components/subs, you will have an excellent SQ.

Getting a processor is not an absolutely necessity as you could look at line out converters (LOC) but these will just not deliver the SQ you'd want and if you're going to upgrade your sounds, do it right.

You should really consider one or the other if you want to stick with the OE HU, as I have also very recently got my Audison Bit One installed and it is such an improvement from the stock speaker set up! These processors flatten the signal / EQ so well, that when you install your new speakers, you can set it just how you want, to make it sound the best for you - completely tailoring it to your liking.

JBL MS-8 might be easier as once installed, it tunes and calibrates itself, whereas the Bit One will need professional tuning.. what are you thinking..??

The flexibility in them is phenomenal.. it has to be included.. you won't be disappointed.
      10-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Why you need a processor with the base system upgrades

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=graph
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #17
Pavlo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rG-tom View Post
Ah thanks. If I wanted to keep the tweeters seperate ( I have a coupe so only need the mounts) what's the best aftermarket tweeters and mids? I dont want tweets by my knees I've heard the hifi tweeters aren't the best?

cheers,

Tom.
Here is a list of fantastic list that kaigoss69 put together showing which 4", 5.25", and 8" speakers fit bimmers. You can just go through the list to research them, based on price, quality, design ect..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...echnic+upgrade

To get you started the most popular brand for HQ 4" speakers are Morel, Focal and Rainbow.

Also here is a link which shows what people think about the Alpine kit and how it compares...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531268

If buying a 4" component speaker set, then you don’t need to buy a set of tweeters as they come with component speakers separately, so you can just mount them into the tweeter housing, and with high-end component speakers, the tweeters are normally 25mm HQ ones so no need to look elsewhere (some do come with 20mm so not so easy to fit).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep

So if i code my car to Hi-Fi Speakers, i don't need to get the MS-8 ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
So if i code my car to Hi-Fi Speakers, i don't need to get the MS-8 ?
If your OEM HU is Business I do not think that you can code it to HiFi. For sure the OEM Professional HU can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep

I have navi professional. So it will work?
Appreciate 0