E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help me choose...Space Navigator or Kinect for CarPC

10-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Help me choose...Space Navigator or Kinect for CarPC

Hey guys I'm in the process of building a carPC and am debating between 2 input devices.

My 2 options are 3D******ion's Space Navigator for Notebooks or Microsoft's Xbox 360 Kinect.

http://www.3d******ion.com/products/...notebooks.html

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect

The space nav would be mounted in the hazard/lock/dtc button area. That whole cluster will be moved to the ashtray area.

The kinect will be hidden...maybe in a vent.

The only problem with the kinect is that it may pick up unwanted movements and take them as inputs but the carPC would be controlled through hand gestures and the sensor would be mostly hidden, maintaining oem appearance.

The space nav would look aftermarket but it would be more precise.

These will be used to control Centrafuse. I'll have a bluetooth touchpad and keyboard for Windows XP use.

Another option that I kinda scrapped is using an old iTouch or iPhone and use an app like MobileMouse to control cursor and keyboard input. My plan was to put it in place of the iDrive knob, but mold the tirm to the screen. I feel as though this would more annoying to use while driving than the space nav or kinect.

As of now, kinect is my choice. Anyone have any opinions? Preferable the cons of having either device so I can gauge which will be easier to use.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
TheDonClark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

How would you control the Kinect?
I have a Kinect and you need to be standing at least 8 feet or so away from it for it to register your movements properly. You can get lenses for it from a 3rd party that make it better for smaller rooms, but you still have to e like 5 feet away. It's not precise AT ALL and is convoluted to navigate menus using your hands in midair as it does not map them well. Even if you could program everything custom to make it usable for the menu system, there's no way the kinect would work when you're 2 feet away from it.

I use a space navigator at work for 3D cad modeling and it is very precise and quality stuff. I would think it would look better mounted where the i-drive knob is supposed to be, much more ergonomic too.

Have you considered just using a touch screen? Kinect or ipod touch are just an accident waiting to happen, it would be very unintuitive and you would have to look away from the road for long periods of time. If you programmed it right, the space navigator would be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Hmm I didn't think about the distance issue. I'll have to look into that. I haven't done much research on it yet but this is what I was planning to use thus far:

http://www.kinemote.net/

As far as placement of the space nav, I want to maintain the oem iDrive for now.

Also I'm using a TVandNAV2Go to tap into the oem screen. I was thinking touchscreen at first but that means I can't use the iDrive at all (if I place it where the iDrive screen is now).
Appreciate 0