E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > A budget 5.2 surround system

09-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

A budget 5.2 surround system

Thought that title might get some attention! OK maybe not a true 5.2 surround system but I have modified a hifi system to provide a center channel, surround sound, and right and left front channels and underseat subs all from a 4 channel amp. And it sounds really good, at least better than when I had just the fronts/underseats powered from the same amp. I get nice ambient effects in the music that makes the interior of the car sound bigger without detracting from the front stage, it actually lifts the front stage. It probably doesn't sound as good as an ms-8, but I have never heard one of those systems. There is no time alignment in this sytem. I've attached some pictures below

The system is hifi system feeding an alpine 4 channel, 75WX4, via a technic harness. Channels 1 and 2 from the amp feed a Dynaco QD-1 which is a fully analog surround sound processor from the '70's! It is basically the ancestor of modern Dolby surround sound. It is an amazing device that takes standard 2 channel stereo and outputs the stereo L/R for the fronts, an attenuated (in both volume and frequency) difference signal (L minus R) surround sound for the rear speakers and a common (where L=R information) signal for the center channel. I got it for $10! It is made up of standard electrical components, doesn't need any power and does not add any artificial digital effects. It also adds zero noise to the system, at least as far as I can detect. Channels 3 and 4 from the amp feed the underseat woofers in a conventional manner. The 75 watts X 2 for the fronts/center and surround are plenty for me, as the center/surround channels don't play as loud as the front L/R.

Here's a summary of the system:

Amp: alpine mrp 300
SP: Dynaco QD-1
Front speakers: BSW mids, Polk DB tweeters
Center: Polk DB 401 coax
Rears: BSW mids and tweeters
Underseats: stock hifi 8"

The amp is too big to lay flat in the stock amp location, so I mounted vertically and had to cut out some of the trim, so it is exposed, not happy about that and will look into seeing if the cd changer trim can conceal this for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Cool! Looking at the pics, I have my doubts whether the CD trim panel will be tall enough to conceal that amp. You may want to look into getting another amp. I am getting close to selling my Kenwood XR-4s, let me know if you are interested. I'll probably let it go for around $160.
      09-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
my amp was also too wide to mount
but it did fit when its installed diagonally beneath the CD trim panel
like this
so the bottom of the amp is closer to the center of the trunk
and the top is touching the side of the car
      09-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Cool! Looking at the pics, I have my doubts whether the CD trim panel will be tall enough to conceal that amp. You may want to look into getting another amp. I am getting close to selling my Kenwood XR-4s, let me know if you are interested. I'll probably let it go for around $160.
Thanks, I may be interested in that amp is it narrow enough to mount flat? I would then have to come up with a method to mount the surround processor on top of it also flat. What kind of specs does the kenwood have?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Here's a good explaination of the analog surround processor.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...99/decoder.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Thanks, I may be interested in that amp is it narrow enough to mount flat? I would then have to come up with a method to mount the surround processor on top of it also flat. What kind of specs does the kenwood have?
Here you go: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113XR4S...4S.html?tp=115

This amp is tiny. It is one of the smallest you will find. You shouldn't have any problems fitting it under the CD trim panel. BTW, I had the Kenwood mounted under the trunk floor!