E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Problem with sound from HiFi (aftermarket upgrade)

09-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Problem with sound from HiFi (aftermarket upgrade)

Well, I have searched and searched, but I can't seem to find out where this problem might be.
I have an E91 which had the base stereo (being in Australia, it didn't even have tweeters in the doors).
I personally upgraded it by installing a set of DLS speakers with crossovers in the doors and a DLS digital Amp in the boot.
All was working fine for a couple of years, but recently when driving the sound varies, it sounds like the volume varies.
I am not sure if the volume actually varies, or it seems to sound like the tweeters aren't working anymore. Then after a few minutes, it all comes back OK.
Seems to be very random; I thought that it might a loose connection, but why both front channels?

I have reset the speed dependant volume.
It definitely is more noticeable with FM radio rather than the USB source. I have tried both with RDS on and off, but the problem still persists.

I have checked the power connection to the amp, and that seems fine.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
Well, I have searched and searched, but I can't seem to find out where this problem might be.
I have an E91 which had the base stereo (being in Australia, it didn't even have tweeters in the doors).
I personally upgraded it by installing a set of DLS speakers with crossovers in the doors and a DLS digital Amp in the boot.
All was working fine for a couple of years, but recently when driving the sound varies, it sounds like the volume varies.
I am not sure if the volume actually varies, or it seems to sound like the tweeters aren't working anymore. Then after a few minutes, it all comes back OK.
Seems to be very random; I thought that it might a loose connection, but why both front channels?

I have reset the speed dependant volume.
It definitely is more noticeable with FM radio rather than the USB source. I have tried both with RDS on and off, but the problem still persists.

I have checked the power connection to the amp, and that seems fine.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks.
Try it with a source other than FM (iPod, USB etc)
FM sometimes does that when a channel switches from stereo when the signal is strong, to mono whe the signal gets weaker
And the difference is immediately noticeable
I'd also double check all the wires going into the crossover
      09-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Thanks,
I ran a signal generator into the AUX input at a steady 4000hz and went for a drive.
It worked OK, so it must be something to do with the Radio.
I am going to try without RDS for a while.
Appreciate 0