E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > KWv1 Freshly Refreshed... What To Do...

View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Spare the coil-overs a NYC winter 3 50.00%
Install 'em and enjoy them through the winter 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

09-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

KWv1 Freshly Refreshed... What To Do...

Hey guys/gals,
I just got my KW v1s back from KW's workshop out of California (after an agonizing wait for months) . My problem is that now the summer is over and all the fun summer days are gone. I dont know if I should wait until the spring (after winter) to drop them into my new '11 or if I should just jump in and install them just for the handling/looks. I've got my non-RFTs sitting in my shed too just waiting to be installed when the temps drop. . I'm torn as to whether I should put these through an extra winter.

Just to give credit where credit is due . KW did an awesome job on my coils. They gave me new strut rods, rebuilt the entire internal structure of the strut, bump stops, seals and freshly lubricated. Essentially new front struts! They also gave me 2 new rear dampers. I essentially have a brand new set of coil-overs sitting in my basement. Awesome worksmanship on their part. They took a bit long and it required many phone calls on my part to get it done but they came through. Just a little too late. Bimmerfest on the East Coast is coming up now too in a few weeks.

So what would you do? Spare the coils an unnecessary winter or give the xi a little drop?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

sell them to me for $500?

oh wait that wasn't one of the choices...

i would wait and have the extra ground clearance for the snow
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
sell them to me for $500?

oh wait that wasn't one of the choices...

i would wait and have the extra ground clearance for the snow
I should have figured I would have seen that response coming. Even if I did sell, can't do it for $500

I made it through last winter sitting like this...

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Drop it! Winter with ground clearance is just boring!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
were you making your child support payment in that pic? read that sign behind your car haha!

oh god that pic brings back memories of all of the crappy we weather we got last year. our 90 yr old grandma told us she has never seen a winter like that. hopefully we get a much milder winter this year
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

With xDrive and winter tires, you're fine on coilovers. They're adjustable for a reason, and stainless steel so they won't corrode. I ran mine through 2 New England winters.

KW was HORRIBLE to deal with when I got mine refurbished. Took ~8 months turnaround then I was missing parts, so it was another 1-2 months. Literally pathetic dealing with a young kid in customer service.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcemkr View Post
With xDrive and winter tires, you're fine on coilovers. They're adjustable for a reason, and stainless steel so they won't corrode. I ran mine through 2 New England winters.

KW was HORRIBLE to deal with when I got mine refurbished. Took ~8 months turnaround then I was missing parts, so it was another 1-2 months. Literally pathetic dealing with a young kid in customer service.
It took me over 5 months to get my coils back (various out of stock parts, etc.). It wasn't too much of an issue for me because I had to return my other car anyway, but I can imagine if you had to actually wait that amount of time for a car sitting in your driveway.

I ran mine through two NYC winters where the roads get absolutely plastered with salt. Neither the fronts or rears showed any signs of corrosion.

I think I may re-install them. Stock xi ride feels a little "muffled" with the newer 2011 suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
were you making your child support payment in that pic? read that sign behind your car haha!

oh god that pic brings back memories of all of the crappy we weather we got last year. our 90 yr old grandma told us she has never seen a winter like that. hopefully we get a much milder winter this year
Yeah, that sign was hilarious. Welcome to NYC!!! That pic was taken in Brooklyn during one of the huge Northeastern blizzards. No kids though...
Appreciate 0