BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

09-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Help w/ Lux install and lost screwdriver in bay

Ok guys I'm having the worst time trying to install these LUX bulbs. I swear you need midget hands to do this task. I have the oem bulbs out but can't get the new ones in. I'm looking at the instruction and watching the video tutorial and it says you can look straight into the headlight and you'll see the 'T' pattern to line up the bulb but all I see is another bulb that's blocking my view. I'm guessing its the DRL?

The worst part is I just dropped one of those skinny flathead screwdrivers into the engine bay (to the right of the headlight compartment). Would taking off the bumper even help me locate it?

This just killed my day...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
mC.NaMMeR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Finally got those lights in and even fished out the screwdriver
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mC.NaMMeR View Post
Ok guys I'm having the worst time trying to install these LUX bulbs. I swear you need midget hands to do this task. I have the oem bulbs out but can't get the new ones in. I'm looking at the instruction and watching the video tutorial and it says you can look straight into the headlight and you'll see the 'T' pattern to line up the bulb but all I see is another bulb that's blocking my view. I'm guessing its the DRL?

The worst part is I just dropped one of those skinny flathead screwdrivers into the engine bay (to the right of the headlight compartment). Would taking off the bumper even help me locate it?

This just killed my day...
Yeah, I just installed the Lux last night in my E90. Took over an hour. I know what you mean about the midget hands. How tight did you get the new bulbs to screw in? The ones I removed turned about 30 degrees but I could only get the Lux turn 10-15 degrees. I couldn't get any leverage on the bulb.

Thanks.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

I found if you drop the ballast in first then slowly push the bulb down further than the hole it's intended for you get it in pretty easy, the longest part was getting the teeth to match up in the hole. Remember when you're doing it most of us aren't giving the LUX even pushing power so it's going in at a slant and that's why it takes longer, I worked this out in the past so install only took me all of 15 minutes. At least you guys got it done!

To other poster ^ - I don't think it turns anymore than that TBH, I tried and tried for fun but nothing so I'm guessing that's as far as it goes..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I dropped the back end of the Lux in first so it faced upwards. Then fished it into the hole using the tip.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I dropped the back end of the Lux in first so it faced upwards. Then fished it into the hole using the tip.
Yup, that's what I did as well. I also marked a line on the top of the grooves so I know what tooth to match it up with.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Just installed mine. I gave up and had my GF do it. She was able to fit two hands in there and could line up the bulbs really quickly. Just needed me to do the final turn to get them locked in place. Looks a ton nicer than the stock yellows.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
bblefas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 COUPE ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Yup, that's what I did as well. I also marked a line on the top of the grooves so I know what tooth to match it up with.
wow i just finished putting them in...What a pita!!..Midget hands is right hopefully i turned them all the way but can't get any leverage its dso tight. About the line up is there a certain way those go in in the slots .IF u look at it there $ led's if u twist them there 3 ways for them to be installed meaning that the led are in DIFFERENT POSITION !!..Example like 2 of less are facing one way etc...instaed of being screwed in the slots with 2 less on left and 2 others on right position Do ui follow? Is there any difference in lighting if that happens ...HELP !!! I NOTICED THAT THE INNER RINGS ARE WAY BRIGHTER THAN THE OUTTER RINGS BIG DIFFERENCE...!!!:thumb down:thumb down and color is on blue side!! but much brighter!.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

If you look at the 3 tabs, 1 of them is shorter than the other 2.

The lights are a little on the blue side. lux has a thread with a special run of the white ones. I prefer the blue, however.

The lack of uniformity is normal from Lux. I think the aes lights are supposed to be more uniform. Each light has its strengths and weaknesses.
Appreciate 0