E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rough idle and intake valve carbon build-up. How is this possible?

08-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Rough idle and intake valve carbon build-up. How is this possible?

OK, so I need some assistance here from the experts...or at least someone who knows more than I do about this:

While my car was at the dealer I mentioned that I have noticed that it has developed a rough idle and just some diminished performance in general. They said they would check for any codes and get back to me.

When I got my car back, they said that no codes were indicating a problem that could cause what I described, but they did say I have carbon build-up on the intake valves. I am not sure how they determined this. The SA asked what kind of gas I had been using, and I told her that I have put nothing in the car except Chevron or Shell since it was brand new (2007, 42k miles). This struck me as a ridiculous question as I will explain below. Then they said it would be $700+ to clean them. I said "thanks but no thanks" until I could do my own research.

So here is my dilemma:
  • The N54 engine is direct injection, which means that the intake valve sees no gas, only filtered air and recirculated crankcase gases. I have a hard time seeing how recirc gases could cause significant carbon. Maybe it can over time, but I'm not sold on that. I'd appreciate being educated here...
  • Even if the above were true, the carbon build-up would be on the BACK, NON-COMBUSTION SIDE of the valves, correct? How is it possible that this can cause rough idle or poor combustion? The build-up can't be so bad that it somehow disrupts the airflow into the combustion chamber...so what's the deal?
Am I getting a bunch of horseshit from the dealer? I know people have actually observed and cleaned carbon build-up from their valves, and claim that it improves the issue, only to say that the rough idle returns again within just a few hundred or so miles...so was it really the cause, or were they just imagining the improvement?

Finally, I hear that Seafoam may help here, but I'm not so sure that a few seconds of exposure to seafoam would be enough to dislodge these deposits that people claim take metal brushes to remove...

Anybody?

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Its because its a direct injection engine that you will see carbon deposits on the intake valves as a result of the combustion process. When you have port injection the fuel passes over the valves and the detergents in the fuel clean or minimize carbon build up..

Do the intake valve cleaning, as this is the only way to remove the carbon buildup..no amount of fuel cleaners will help w this. My suggestion is to try and find and indy mechanic who has done it...it will be alot cheaper than what the stealership charges you

I personally do not like using seafoam..as any pieces of carbon that break lose will get sucked right into your engine
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK, but I still want to understand:
1. How it gets there in the first place
2, How it can possibly affect combustion

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Carbon deposits are left behind during combustion.
It doesnt effect combustion itself it effects the air flow to the combustion chamber.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

These cars burn a lot of oil, so there is a lot of crankcase gases. Build up can cause valves to not move as freely as they should.

I would've asked the dealer to explain why the type of gas you used affects carbon buildup. IMO, they love to make false claims to charge you. Always a good idea to test their knowledge.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
How does it get there?..The combustion of gas is an inefficient combustion process which leaves behind soot and carbon..

The build up of carbon will cause improper air flow through the valves..and will rob you of power, cause rough idle, detonation etc etc.

This is a well documented issue with the n54 around the 50K miles mark..

Last edited by tibra1; 08-22-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi

Quote:
Oil from your positive crankcase ventilation system is recirculated into the intake manifold from the valve cover and is sucked into the engine via the intake stream. Any roughness on the intake side of the cylinder heads will create turbulence in the air and ruin the venturi affect that the engine relies on to be efficient.

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Any chance this issue is being taken care of through a TSB and they're just not telling me?

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpensiveTaste View Post
Oil from your positive crankcase ventilation system is recirculated into the intake manifold from the valve cover and is sucked into the engine via the intake stream. Any roughness on the intake side of the cylinder heads will create turbulence in the air and ruin the venturi affect that the engine relies on to be efficient.
This makes sense to me, thanks. Seems there should be a way to scrub the oil from the gases before they get sucked into the intake stream. Is this what the oil catch can is used for?

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Any chance this issue is being taken care of through a TSB and they're just not telling me?
No
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
This makes sense to me, thanks. Seems there should be a way to scrub the oil from the gases before they get sucked into the intake stream. Is this what the oil catch can is used for?
Sorta, but a catch can alone won't cure the problem, (certainly doesn't hurt) the majority of the carbon is a just bi-product of the fuel burn in the combustion process
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
Sorta, but a catch can alone won't cure the problem, (certainly doesn't hurt) the majority of the carbon is a just bi-product of the fuel burn in the combustion process
I didn't realize there was so much gas recirculation so as to cause this issue...maybe they shoulda teflon-coated the back side of the valves! LOL

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
No
Of course not...silly me

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
As Tibra said, no. Nasty valves is not a defect. Its just a bad characteristic of DI engines in general (at least high performance Euro engines). Other manufacturers are beginning to use DI engines (toyota/lexus and ford). I'm pretty sure there owners wont be as understanding about sludge issues as luxury Euro owners, so I would expect them to have a solution pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
As Tibra said, no. Nasty valves is not a defect. Its just a bad characteristic of DI engines in general (at least high performance Euro engines). Other manufacturers are beginning to use DI engines (toyota/lexus and ford). I'm pretty sure there owners wont be as understanding about sludge issues as luxury Euro owners, so I would expect them to have a solution pretty quickly.
Add Nissan to that list. A friend of mine has a Nissan with a DI engine/turbo and guess what failed...the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
Add Nissan to that list. A friend of mine has a Nissan with a DI engine/turbo and guess what failed...the HPFP.
Which Nissan has a DI engine, GTR?

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Which Nissan has a DI engine, GTR?
My friend isn't that high end...she has a Juke.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
My friend isn't that high end...she has a Juke.
Knew it was turbo...didn't know it was DI...

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
search the forums, 2-3 decent write up on how to clean them at home.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
Ozzie Goat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

OR
Reading stumbling/jerky acceleration threads, pottypants (I think) suggested an olde school solution to this new age DI problem.
Took my car out on the open highway. 80mph 4th gear 30 minutes at about 4k.
Never visually inspected carbon on my valves, but the stumbling is gone.
It's free, try it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
old school italian tune job?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #22
Ozzie Goat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

Yea. I know not everyone is as ancient as I am, but..
"Back on the day" Dads would take the Country Squire out on the weekends, hit the highway to blow the carbon out.
Always thought it was a wives tale, but it worked for me.
Appreciate 0