E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need to get pressure test

08-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Need to get pressure test

Dealer is pressure testing the car tomorrow. After PWM install, ive had nothing but troubles hitting target boost and even building boost properly. What a bummer. Every clamp is tight as could be and fastened on the hosing fine etc. Car ran okay for one night with the stock bypass valves and i was spiking 18lb through the gears with start boost set to 75 (17.5) psi and auto tuning off, but then i couldnt spike over 15 the next day and car feels slower than before the PWM install at this point. i suppose i have a leak somewhere. Uninstalled dv's and reinstalled. double checked all connections and no issues there. Install forge DV's and it then acts even worse, boost building slow, and not hitting targets. Anyone else have these sort of problems with their forge diverter valves at any point? Im obviously having issues either way which makes me thing maybe it is not a problem with the dv's but then again, the problem is pronounced with the forge dv's in car..

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

I am guessing your wastegate solenoids are failing or your stock charge pipe is leaking at the dv connectors.
      08-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Check the vacuum lines going to your bypass valves. I suspect one of them popped off either at the bypass valve or at one of the Ts. Without pressure on the top side of the bypass valve, they will lift under boost and create a nasty boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Check the vacuum lines going to your bypass valves. I suspect one of them popped off either at the bypass valve or at one of the Ts. Without pressure on the top side of the bypass valve, they will lift under boost and create a nasty boost leak.
will do shiv. and myst, im using vishnu charge pipe, not the stock. and the thing fits very very snug with the upper intercooler elbow supplied and mounts into hosing that connect to throttle bottle very well. and is clamped very well. ive eliminated any leak from the elbow or chargepipe. i think its
vaccuum line or something.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Did you install the forge DVs correctly? Some have installed them incorrectly.....ie. the nipples of the vacuum lines should NOT be on top, but instead, they should be facing each other....

Just a thought since you said the problem got worse after installing the forge DVs.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Did you install the forge DVs correctly? Some have installed them incorrectly.....ie. the nipples of the vacuum lines should NOT be on top, but instead, they should be facing each other....

Just a thought since you said the problem got worse after installing the forge DVs.
Different dv's models need to be installed differently...
Also as far as my understanding the dv's are operated by vacuum...
      08-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

He said he had Forge DVs, AFAIK, there's only one way of installing them, with an options for diff color springs and optional shims....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLu II View Post
Quote:

Different dv's models need to be installed differently...
Also as far as my understanding the dv's are operated by vacuum...

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
plague
Captain
Rep

i was on the phone with forge confirming how the fit. and it is with the TOPS (where u read forge) facing eachother. nipples arent facing eachother. according to them at least

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Quote:
He said he had Forge DVs, AFAIK, there's only one way of installing them, with an options for diff color springs and optional shims....
I kno what he has...
One way to install them..(actually the nipples will interfear with dci if equipped)

And this model is self explanatory....
      08-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Well, vacuum lines are reasonably easy to diagnose. If you tug and it comes out, time to trim the line and ensure a tight fit.

My money's on something else though.
      08-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
plague
Captain
Rep

those valve is that pic are NOT the ones i have ... but i suppose thats ok

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Well, vacuum lines are reasonably easy to diagnose. If you tug and it comes out, time to trim the line and ensure a tight fit.

My money's on something else though.
What you think it could be?
      08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

IIRC, don't you have the Vishnu CP? So wouldn't the Forge DVs look like the ones in the Stett pic? Because the first pic is with the stock CP......

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I kno what he has...
One way to install them..(actually the nipples will interfear with dci if equipped)

And this model is self explanatory....
^^That's not really self explanatory....The way those DVs are displayed on the Stett CP isn't the correct position.....

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
IIRC, don't you have the Vishnu CP? So wouldn't the Forge DVs look like the ones in the Stett pic? Because the first pic is with the stock CP......
i have the vishnu charge pipe yes sir. and here is a direct link to my diverter valves which i purchased from ar design..

http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw-1...4-ddv-kit.html

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

OIC, I was under the impression that there's only two different types of DVs (as far as the look and placement of the nipple goes). One that fits on the stock CPs, and one for the after market CPs. I guess there's three types....lol. My bad!

Anyway, GL with finding the problem, keep us posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
i have the vishnu charge pipe yes sir. and here is a direct link to my diverter valves which i purchased from ar design..

http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw-1...4-ddv-kit.html

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #17
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
What you think it could be?
See my first post in this thread. BTW it is goddamn painful running tuneless Thinking about throwing the leftover tune back in just to satiate my lack of power!
      08-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am guessing your wastegate solenoids are failing or your stock charge pipe is leaking at the dv connectors.
no leak from charge pipe or dv connections. theyre tight and snug as hell with good fitment

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
no leak from charge pipe or dv connections. theyre tight and snug as hell with good fitment
I really believe it's the wastegate solenoids. A smoke test would find this pretty quickly though.

Once you eliminate that as a problem, along with the vacuum lines and any potential leaks, then I would explore the possibility of the tune being at fault.
      08-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #20
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I really believe it's the wastegate solenoids. A smoke test would find this pretty quickly though.

Once you eliminate that as a problem, along with the vacuum lines and any potential leaks, then I would explore the possibility of the tune being at fault.
explain this 'smoke test' please. you mean literally just looking for smoke out of the tailpipes? i am sure that i am not smoking at all, and plenty of people running the 7-11 maps without this issue and the firmware was installed 0-100% successfully so im banking on some sort of boost leak probably vaccuum line but i really dont know. checked vaccuum lines early, everything looked A okay. :/ hopefully the dealer wont try raping me for pressure testing the system..

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #21
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
explain this 'smoke test' please. you mean literally just looking for smoke out of the tailpipes? i am sure that i am not smoking at all, and plenty of people running the 7-11 maps without this issue and the firmware was installed 0-100% successfully so im banking on some sort of boost leak probably vaccuum line but i really dont know. checked vaccuum lines early, everything looked A okay. :/ hopefully the dealer wont try raping me for pressure testing the system..
LOL no, they smoke (pressure) test the whole system starting at the FMIC inlet and check for smoke at all the connecting joints. A fully leak-free system won't show any smoke.
      08-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

the wastegate solenoids crapped out on me on my old N54, the car would build boost slowly, inconsistent response, and eventually it failed outright, which would trigger an underboost code any time I tried to go WOT. Took the dealer a week to fix it; they replaced the vacuum canisters, when that didn't work, they smoke tested it and found one of the wastegate solenoids failed. All covered under warranty.