E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 08 335XI Tran Malfunction, deal says no biggie!

08-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
cyph00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

08 335XI Tran Malfunction, deal says no biggie!

I have a 2008 335XI, 28k miles. Auto Tran. Under warranty until June 2012. The other day I am driving on the highway and decide to have some fun as there is no traffic. I gun it and get up to some high speeds 120-135 when traffic is super light and slow down as needed.

It was about a 20-30mile drive. I slow down to about 80-90 and when i accelerate back up to about 100mph, I feel what is a hard shift. I had noticed this happen once before at around 100mph mark. It is usually a very smooth shift except for those two times I noticed it.

Anyways I keep driving, go to accelerate again and as I'm climbing I get a error on the idrive screen, "Tran Malfunction". The car at that point starts to sound funny,and feels like it is running at reduced power though nothing on the Idrive screen indicates that. I have had a "engine malfunction" with the same car some time ago and it informed me it would run at "reduced power". I take it home turn it off and back on later it runs fine.

I leave for a business trip the next day, and drop the car off at the dealer to have them look at it. The dealership leaves me a message, saying they had a "An error code show up that was one time gear shift fault". And that they did not find anything wrong.

I really don't think this is an acceptable response. Why is a vehicle that is suppose to be high performance having a "gear shift fault"? Am I crazy or is that b.s.? I have a Cadillac CTS as well and from time to time like to take it out for a drive down the same highway, never had any issues.
I'm really frustrated with this car as I expected far more from BMW and my Cadi has sustained with many less visits for a repaid than the BMW.

Anyone had this issue? What would you guys suggest I say to the dealer? Am I wrong in thinking a "gear shift fault" should be fixed or something should be replaced?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cyph00; 08-17-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0