E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help understanding Cobb logs

08-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Help understanding Cobb logs

I've recently installed my Cobb AP and want to make sure I'm understanding my logs correctly. I'm running a stock 335i on 91 octane gas in CA with the ACN91 Cobb maps. These first two logs are 3rd gear pulls in ~70*F ambient temps.

If I understand what's happening correctly, there is a throttle closure on both logs between 3000-3500rpm, which is a known issue with Cobb stage 1. I believe my AFR looks good as it slowly targets 12, which is what I read to be about expected. My timing seems low, especially in the first log, but doesn't appear to have any sharp drop outs. I don't know how to interpret the WGDC value - it is way lower than most logs I've seen posted with other tunes, but it seems about normal compared to other Cobb logs. I think it's weird how it climbs up as opposed to staying flat, is that normal? My IAT's as logged in the 2nd log climb quite high but I am getting an FMIC installed soon which should fix that issue. Is there anything else I'm missing or wrong thinking?

Secondly, I've been having a low rpm low load jerking during cold starts in the morning. This has happened both tuned and untuned, but now that I have Cobb I decided to make a log out of it.

It appears that there is a throttle closure and widely varying AFR. If I were to naively guess, I'd suggest there might be an issue with my injectors that's spiking the AFR to be so lean. Could anyone offer an opinion on this log?

Thanks!
Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Some throttle closure is normal so as long as your not feeling it. This is how the Cobb and the stock DME control overboosting conditions.

Your timing looks good and your AFR appear to be normal as well.

As long as your intake air temps are not exceed 150 I would presumably say your OK.

The lower the WGDC the better.

All in all everything seems to be in check.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

i'm no expert and i'm still learhing but the first thing i looked for was TPS and Boost.

i did see closure @ 15.6psi, much like my car did.

one thing i did notice, and maybe someone can explain, is that the first pull shows 15psi all the way across the board.

the second pull appears to show boost in the 13's all the way across the board.

shouldn't it have climbed to 15.5 and dropped to @ 12 or 13 by redline?

those 2 pulls are not very consistent to me......
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Am I the only one who sees boost at 11-12 psi on those logs? Unless the ACN91 octane maps have a lower load target than the 93 octane maps?
      08-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
tom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Both logs should show boost settling between 11-12 psi after the throttle closure is over. I think this is what ACN91 is targeting since I have not seen a higher sustained boost while driving and using the AP to show me boost real time. I'm also in rather cool low humidity weather, which may allow my car to boost lower to hit the load targets.

I was planning on moving up to the regular 91 octane map if everything looked good, should I try this and log again?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

oops, i'm a tard - i was looking at the blue numbers on the right when looking at the pink lines......

....learning curve lol....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
tom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Me too, don't worry about it.

Does anyone have any theories about the third log I posted with the throttle closure at low rpm / low load? There's a noticeable jerk when the car dips rpms and it is a tad disconcerting.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Secondly, I've been having a low rpm low load jerking during cold starts in the morning. This has happened both tuned and untuned, but now that I have Cobb I decided to make a log out of it.

It appears that there is a throttle closure and widely varying AFR. If I were to naively guess, I'd suggest there might be an issue with my injectors that's spiking the AFR to be so lean. Could anyone offer an opinion on this log?

Thanks!
Tom
every monring your car will be groggy and drive like shit when it's cold.

happens to me all the time - by the time i get out on the highway my car is seeing @ 130 degrees.

after about 4 or 5 minutes of driving in the hot humidty, it reaches 180.

never wide open throttle your car if it has not reached @ 180 dgrees because it will jerk and shake like crazy.

i don't think it's tune related though
Appreciate 0