BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

08-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Re-paint APracing Calipers and disc hats - suggestions?

Hey fella's,

Well, It looks like my only option other than purchasing new brakes is to re-paint the disc hats and calipers since off the shelf wheel cleaners pretty much destroyed the paint finish. Refer to my pictures.

I will be ordering new hardware which is required for removing the disc hats.

The plan is to remove the hats (front/rear disc hubs) and repaint them with high-temp caliper/exhaust/engine paint. Satin Black.

Calipers will be removed, cleaned and most hardware & pads removed, some parts taped off (bleed valves, bottom transfer tube, etc)

Re-paint the calipers black with same type of high-temp paint.

The only problem is how to not paint over the yellow APracing logo? Or what to use to repaint the logo so it looks the same?

Should I try to tape the logo off and touch it up, or re-paint th logo with a small brush using yellow hi-temp paint after the calipers are painted and dried? Would i need to scuff up the yellow logo paint or remove it?

What methods, suggestions to you all have? I'v reviewed some online links but most are re-painting their calipers in a very "Ghetto" half-ass way.

I want to make this look as good as possible without sending my brakes off tor a month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Too bad about the finish being wrecked!

I noticed that Sonax wheel cleaner was starting to get hard on my brakes as well so I am no longer going to use it, P21S is the best wheel cleaner there is when it comes to being gentle on brakes.

As for your questions on repainting, I would look into having the hats re-anodized since paint may be susceptible to damage/peeling due to wheel changes. Painting the yellow by hand is an option or you could use an x-acto knife and mask it up...... your choice.

If you can be without the car for a while I strongly recommend contacting IND, they paint lots of brakes and can do them in any color you want. If you explain that you need a quick turnaround I am sure they can expedite the process too!
      08-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Awesome man! Thanks for the advice. I did not know IND will repaint calipers. I just talked to them and that's the way I'm gonna go. Probebly will go with a gray for the calipers and just re-paint the hats myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Awesome man! Thanks for the advice. I did not know IND will repaint calipers. I just talked to them and that's the way I'm gonna go. Probebly will go with a gray for the calipers and just re-paint the hats myself.
Send them the hats too...... They may be able to have them plated by a vendor local to them.

I don't recommend you painting the hats, I don't think the finish will be durable enough...... Send them the whole works and have it done properly, you will be much happier and it won't cost much extra.
      08-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Good idea bud, I'd rather have it all re-done professionally. I'll have to ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

IND will do a great job for you. Much better than oem AP paint work.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
IND will do a great job for you. Much better than oem AP paint work.

+1, worth the money then and time it'll take. Thanks,
Appreciate 0