E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWM Meth, FBO - Procede 7-29 - Rev 2 - Procede questions - and what settings to run?

08-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
PWM Meth, FBO - Procede 7-29 - Rev 2 - Procede questions - and what settings to run?

EDIT: I put the answers I felt were relevant in the OP.

I just wanted to start a thread on this. Creaminz and I were discussing this the other day and I thought I would post my settings and create a discussion on custom settings and create a forum on what each setting does.

Lets start with my settings - which I believe are stock.

I welcome Vishnu input here please -and the core Vishnu custom tuners who know a crap load about this stuff.

Check my sig, I have FBOs.

Questions:

1) Map 1 - when I run out of meth - I will have Sunoco Gold/Petro Canada Ultra 94 in the tank. What is the max settings I should run on Map 1 with FBOs - and no meth? What should I set this to so AUTOTUNING controls the settings safely?

2) Map 2 - I thought this was for NO METH? When I go to Map 2 and have PWM installed - I still get the indicator lights come on.... I was not expecting this. What is the difference between map 2 and Map 4?

3) Map 4 - METH: AUTOTUNING ON (2) -check my settings in the pic. I want autotuning to set my max. What should I set this thing too?

SHIV: A good way to think of Map4 is actually a "mode" rather than a map. When running in mode 4, all the procede is doing is transitioning between map1 and map2 values as a function of meth flow.

With PWM meth, you really will never need to run Map2. Running it would result in running the aggressive boost/timing values with no regards to meth flow. Perhaps the only time you would run it is if you were running meth AND race gas. Or any condition where running out of meth would result in no safety issue.

Settings:

A) Over boost limit - mine set to 18.5 - this is the max boost allowed before a limp mode is triggered - I believe - EXCEPT for blow off valve in shift...

B) Start Boost %: This is incorrectly labeled as far as I can understand. From what I am told in this forum, the max setting is 100% this equals 20 PSI. This setting is the % of 20 PSI that you want the Procede to run to. The OVERBOOST limit must be .5 PSI higher than this setting. Is this correct? If so, the description on these 2 settings is just wrong.

JPSIMPSON: A/B: Max Boost is the MAX ALLOWABLE BOOST before an overboost fault is triggered. This has to be higher than your start boost. Start boost is the target boost if you have autotuning turned OFF. If autotuning is ON, this is the boost it will target at first until autotuning changes things up. Once you know how it works, the labels make sense.

C) Ignition Control (IC) - I had this to 20 % and I wasn't hitting boost of 18 PSI. I changed to 0% and I hit 18 PSI - what does this do and what should I set this to for max Auto tuning? AND - When do I want to set my IC when I DON'T use AUTOTUNING?
What does lowering the ignition correction do?
What does lowering the boost response do?

JPSIMPSON: IC is Ignition Correction. 0% is no ignition correction (close to stock timing curve). You'd set it to 0% on your race/meth map when you're running race gas and/or meth. For the non-meth map I'd leave it at 100% unless you do a bunch of datalogs and understand what it does. Since you aren't sure how it works, just let autotuning deal with that.

SHIV: In short, ignition correction % is the amount of ignition retard applied as a function of boost and rpm. The lower the number, the more aggressive the tune. With insufficient octane, a low IC% will result in excessive knock retard which will actually degrade performance. The only time you should lower IC% to 0 (from the default value of 100%) is when running race gas or meth injection. Other than that, it's best to leave it at 100%. Since we enabled DIC, there is less merit and dropping this value to a lower % value (ie, 70, 60, 50) since DIC does this automatically in effect. Think of it as a short-term autotune function.

D) Traction Control - 100% is factory traction control. 30 % allows some slippage. I find 30 % pretty good... but I haven't played around too much. When I want to really go hard with defaults on, I find in 1st gear, the power builds so quickly that the BWM cuts power and hits brakes so hard if feels like I broke something. It just overwhelms BMW DTC, and Vishnu TC can't keep up either. If I want to launch in 1st, I hit DTC once and the Vishnu TC can intervene and control the retardation of timing to get the power down - then it works well. BMW DSC will intervene if you go too sideways so that is good. In Second and third and more... keeping on all defaults - Vishnu TC will intervene first and it works before BMW DTC.

E) Boost response - 100% - WTF does this do?
JPSIMPSON: Boost response is the correlation between the throttle and boost onset. 100% = very linear and responsive, follows your foot perfectly. 0% gives you a more on/off feel.

SHIV: Boost Response is just that, boost response with respect to throttle. The default value of 100% results in a perfectly linear boost-to-throttle relationship. 1/2 throttle results in 1/2 boost. Full throttle, full boost. And so on. If this relationship is too "touchy" (which it really shouldn't be, IMHO), it can be reduced so that boost doesn't start to ramp up until later (deeper) in the throttle pedal travel.

F) OL Fueling... new feature I need to pay for I guess coming.

G) Agression level
- what does it do on 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 - should any other settings be adjusted if I go to 5 say?
- Where is the documentation on this?
- When I play with this, what should I be looking for?
- WTF does it do?

JPSIMPSON: G: Leave aggression alone for now, it's good at 2. This is your target aggression level for autotuning. If conditions get shitty, and the tune is too aggressive the current aggression level raises... when aggression level goes higher than the target autotuning makes things less aggressive until the target is hit. Same thing goes the other way around, if conditions are favorable the current aggression level will be low and the tune will get more aggressive until the target is met.

H) Injection Mode: Mislabeled again. This is Methanol Injection RATE (I guess). I have this set to 20 %.
- Will I use more or less METH if I increase this amount?
- If I set this to 5% what settings should change above?
- If I set this to 90% what settings should I change above?
- WTF does it do?

I) Boost gain control - I think this changes how fast the boost comes on.
- WTF does this does this do if I set this to 10% VS 90%
- if I set this to 90% will driving in 1st gear be negatively affected in slow traffic? IE: will boost build too quickly to drive smoothly?

JPSIMPSON: I: This was added because everyone's wastegates have a different stiffness (that's what she said). If you set it the wrong way you'll either overshoot your boost target or hit it VERY slowly. Unless you have upgraded turbos with very stiff wastegates and you know you have to adjust this... leave it be unless you diagnose the issue yourself and know what you're doing. Don't just arbitrarily set it to 10 or 90%...

I would welcome anybody else to add a bunch of settings I haven't even considered yet. Please do - but lets answer and clarify these first - they are core and I don't see them explained clearly in the manual.

Shiv/Vishnu - you need to get one or more of the core users to do the manual for your product. The one you have is NOT clear enough and it needs work.... sorry, but it needs to be done by people not as close to your product it so that it can be described for people that know nothing about the product. My questions above are WIDELY asked. Answer these, and your posts and emails WILL drop - I can promise you that.
Attached Images

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S

Last edited by DaFish; 09-01-2011 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Moderators

Can u pls move this to N54 turbo forum

Thanks

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks now it is in the right spot

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

For starters u have your map 1 overboost and start boost wrong. U cant have it starting boost at 16.5 when your overboost is set to 16..change over boost to at least 17 or lower start boost to at least 55 which is 15.5!
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip

Last edited by chrisw335i; 08-17-2011 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

A/B: Max Boost is the MAX ALLOWABLE BOOST before an overboost fault is triggered. This has to be higher than your start boost. Start boost is the target boost if you have autotuning turned OFF. If autotuning is ON, this is the boost it will target at first until autotuning changes things up. Once you know how it works, the labels make sense.

C: IC is Ignition Correction. 0% is no ignition correction (close to stock timing curve). You'd set it to 0% on your race/meth map when you're running race gas and/or meth. For the non-meth map I'd leave it at 100% unless you do a bunch of datalogs and understand what it does. Since you aren't sure how it works, just let autotuning deal with that.

E: Boost response is the correlation between the throttle and boost onset. 100% = very linear and responsive, follows your foot perfectly. 0% gives you a more on/off feel.

G: Leave aggression alone for now, it's good at 2. This is your target aggression level for autotuning. If conditions get shitty, and the tune is too aggressive the current aggression level raises... when aggression level goes higher than the target autotuning makes things less aggressive until the target is hit. Same thing goes the other way around, if conditions are favorable the current aggression level will be low and the tune will get more aggressive until the target is met.

I: This was added because everyone's wastegates have a different stiffness (that's what she said). If you set it the wrong way you'll either overshoot your boost target or hit it VERY slowly. Unless you have upgraded turbos with very stiff wastegates and you know you have to adjust this... leave it be unless you diagnose the issue yourself and know what you're doing. Don't just arbitrarily set it to 10 or 90%....

Last edited by jpsimon; 08-17-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

There is already a manual posted in the sticky. Just needs to be updated For the new software 5.2 and pwm
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
There is already a manual posted in the sticky. Just needs to be updated For the new software 5.2 and pwm
that too
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
When I go to Map 2 and have PWM installed - I still get the indicator lights come on.... I was not expecting this. What is the difference between map 2 and Map 4?
I believe when you have meth active then the map 2 settings are actually the map 4 settings.

With 94 octane you may be able to go less than 100 for initial IC, but auto tuning will adjust it anyway. I've logged mine and found I can have my map1 starting IC at 60 when running Shell 93 octane.

I set my initial boost on map 1 at 14.5 (45) and map 2 at 16 (60). This is pretty conservative to many other people's settings. i see map2/map4 go up to 16.5 - 16.8 after auto tuning and my map2/4 max boost is set at 17.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Subscribed. Good thread. Need answers.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

This is great. I know there's PROceed manual as STICKY but when I said "PROceed for dummies." I meant real dummies!! So instead of full description of what each parameter does, let's share your perfectly working PROceed settings with your mod lists, which PROceed you have. Rev.1,2,2.5 or 3. Dyno numbers if you have one. Do not post your settings if you have any problems whatsoever. This is not the thread where you post what kind of code you are throwing. This needs to be posted by those with PROceed that is working perfectly fine for their car.
that way dummies like me can just plug in numbers and just start driving. It will help a lot of international PROceed users as well, since not everyone can read/understand English perfectly. They can just look at setting numbers and plug it in. Done.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
A good way to think of Map4 is actually a "mode" rather than a map. When running in mode 4, all the procede is doing is transitioning between map1 and map2 values as a function of meth flow.

With PWM meth, you really will never need to run Map2. Running it would result in running the aggressive boost/timing values with no regards to meth flow. Perhaps the only time you would run it is if you were running meth AND race gas. Or any condition where running out of meth would result in no safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

+1 on answers and sticky update. My Rev 2.5 and meth is on the way and I'd like to have some idea what settings to run.
      08-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellfish View Post
+1 on answers and sticky update. My Rev 2.5 and meth is on the way and I'd like to have some idea what settings to run.
The recommended settings are listed in the install instructions.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

subscribed! I own 2 proceed V5s and am really looking forward to what this thread will bring. Maybe there is better info in the sticky that I havn't been able to find, but most of my searches to understand exactly what each usere parameter does and the logic behind setting each one high vs low was never really that clear from the PDF manual I was able to find.

Would also like to see recomendend sequences for resetting adaptions documented as well

Even with these minor complaints, the V5 is a great product
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
mikeith
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
This is great. I know there's PROceed manual as STICKY but when I said "PROceed for dummies." I meant real dummies!! So instead of full description of what each parameter does, let's share your perfectly working PROceed settings with your mod lists, which PROceed you have. Rev.1,2,2.5 or 3. Dyno numbers if you have one. Do not post your settings if you have any problems whatsoever. This is not the thread where you post what kind of code you are throwing. This needs to be posted by those with PROceed that is working perfectly fine for their car.
that way dummies like me can just plug in numbers and just start driving. It will help a lot of international PROceed users as well, since not everyone can read/understand English perfectly. They can just look at setting numbers and plug it in. Done.
couldnt agree more! i'm getting my V5/PWM setup at the 1st of the month and would like a "procede for dummies" sticky thread built JUST like that!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
A good way to think of Map4 is actually a "mode" rather than a map. When running in mode 4, all the procede is doing is transitioning between map1 and map2 values as a function of meth flow.

Thanks. That matches how I thought it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
Would also like to see recomendend sequences for resetting adaptions documented as well
I believe this is in the readmefirst.txt file sent out in the zipped map and firmware file. After you load the map you reset the adaptions:

The general update process:

Update Process:
(Many of these steps are redundant but always better to be safe and sorry)
Step 1: Update the firmware as usual (laptop plugged in to a AC socket) using the Procede v5 user software.
Step 2: After firmware update is complete (0-100%) and Procede resets, turn ignition power fully OFF and wait 2 seconds
Step 3: Turn ignition power fully ON
Step 4: Upload the appropriate map
Step 5: Once uploaded, go to Mode 3 on the Command Center and do commands 12 thru 1 (12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 in that order).
Step 6: Go to COMMS menu in user software and select "Reset Procede". This will take a few seconds. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP!
Step 7: Turn ignition power fully OFF and wait 5 seconds
Step 8: Start car and begin driving!

Command center overview video:

Last edited by scottp999; 08-17-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Sub'd because i want more info on the tuning parameters too!

Info like:

Last edited by Spoolin335; 08-18-2011 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Thanks. That matches how I thought it worked.

I believe this is in the readmefirst.txt file sent out in the zipped map and firmware file. After you load the map you reset the adaptions:

The general update process:

Update Process:
(Many of these steps are redundant but always better to be safe and sorry)
Step 1: Update the firmware as usual (laptop plugged in to a AC socket) using the Procede v5 user software.
Step 2: After firmware update is complete (0-100%) and Procede resets, turn ignition power fully OFF and wait 2 seconds
Step 3: Turn ignition power fully ON
Step 4: Upload the appropriate map
Step 5: Once uploaded, go to Mode 3 on the Command Center and do commands 12 thru 1 (12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 in that order).
Step 6: Go to COMMS menu in user software and select "Reset Procede". This will take a few seconds. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP!
Step 7: Turn ignition power fully OFF and wait 5 seconds
Step 8: Start car and begin driving!
Thanks, I eventually found this info. My main mistake was going to the Vishnu forum and using the firmware update info there (seems to be from a few years back). Would be nice for this info to be centralized with the manual...

Am patiently waiting to be able to run V5 Mode 4
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
Sub'd because i want more info on the tuning parameters too!

Info like:

Click on my sig to take you to the user resource page. The download the Procede user guide as it explains this.

In short, ignition correction % is the amount of ignition retard applied as a function of boost and rpm. The lower the number, the more aggressive the tune. With insufficient octane, a low IC% will result in excessive knock retard which will actually degrade performance. The only time you should lower IC% to 0 (from the default value of 100%) is when running race gas or meth injection. Other than that, it's best to leave it at 100%. Since we enabled DIC, there is less merit and dropping this value to a lower % value (ie, 70, 60, 50) since DIC does this automatically in effect. Think of it as a short-term autotune function.

Boost Response is just that, boost response with respect to throttle. The default value of 100% results in a perfectly linear boost-to-throttle relationship. 1/2 throttle results in 1/2 boost. Full throttle, full boost. And so on. If this relationship is too "touchy" (which it really shouldn't be, IMHO), it can be reduced so that boost doesn't start to ramp up until later (deeper) in the throttle pedal travel.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #20
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

what if autotune is adjusting ignition correction to 1 and only running 93 octane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Click on my sig to take you to the user resource page. The download the Procede user guide as it explains this.

In short, ignition correction % is the amount of ignition retard applied as a function of boost and rpm. The lower the number, the more aggressive the tune. With insufficient octane, a low IC% will result in excessive knock retard which will actually degrade performance. The only time you should lower IC% to 0 (from the default value of 100%) is when running race gas or meth injection. Other than that, it's best to leave it at 100%. Since we enabled DIC, there is less merit and dropping this value to a lower % value (ie, 70, 60, 50) since DIC does this automatically in effect. Think of it as a short-term autotune function.

Boost Response is just that, boost response with respect to throttle. The default value of 100% results in a perfectly linear boost-to-throttle relationship. 1/2 throttle results in 1/2 boost. Full throttle, full boost. And so on. If this relationship is too "touchy" (which it really shouldn't be, IMHO), it can be reduced so that boost doesn't start to ramp up until later (deeper) in the throttle pedal travel.

Shiv
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw335i View Post
what if autotune is adjusting ignition correction to 1 and only running 93 octane?
Then you'll be in trouble lol
      08-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw335i View Post
Entirely possible. Especially when running on 93oct and with the new beta autotuning enabled (7-29). It's quite a bit more aggressive than the old autotuning. So feel free to drop aggression target to 1 instead of what you used to run with old autotuning logic. In the next update, we will scale aggression targets down a bit.
Appreciate 0