E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth bung location

08-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
longliven54
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

Meth bung location

So what is the best meth bung location????
There are ones that are close to dv/bov... Then there\'s meth elbows... And now cx racing IC has them on lower charge pipe..
I really wouldn\'t prefer upgrading my stock charge pipe,,too many horror stories of after market charge pipes blowing off. It\'s almost likebuying those $200 down-pipes, where there would be one person happy with them, and the rest crying about this or that.
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

A quality charge pipe installed correctly should never blow off, keyword here is installed correctly and quality. Meth bungs post intercooler are common practice.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Putting meth as far upstream from the throttle body (but post FMIC) is ideal. So the upper IC pipe is a good choice if it weren't for the logistics of putting a nozzle in a place that can't be easily inspected.

Generally speaking, there is a "sweet spot" for nozzle size. This depends largely on nozzle design. Once you start spraying over a certain rate, two smaller nozzles will atomize better than one and won't necessitate such a drastic (FMIC pipe) placement. For those guys running PPS kits with a giant m14 nozzle, it's a good idea to mount that nozzle immediately downstream of the FMIC. On the other end of the spectrum, for those running two smaller nozzles in a PWM system, you'll be fine with positioning them in the chargepipe just upstream of the bypass valves. Preferably close the elbow as possible. However, no harm in putting them in the FMIC pipe if you want to. It's just not as necessary.

And yes, a properly designed chargepipe simply will not blow off if installed even halfway competently.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
. . . halfway competently.
Is it bad that this is the quality level i strive for when I am working on my car.

Last edited by mithiral67; 08-03-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Putting meth as far upstream from the throttle body (but post FMIC) is ideal. So the upper IC pipe is a good choice if it weren't for the logistics of putting a nozzle in a place that can't be easily inspected.

This is what the Aquamist reps will tell you as well. My x2 bungs are located just after the intercooler outlet, prior to the "elbow". The theory behind this is it will give the methanol more time to atomize and cool the charge down more. Some will argue against this and say it's best to locate the bung just prior to the TB, letting the meth vaporize in the cylinders. Others will even tell you the "Elbow" is the best, since it's halfway between these 2 locations, and this should suffice for your average methanol kits. I highly recommend my location, immedately after the FMIC outlet, if you are spraying x2 jets or large nozzels to give the fluid time to atomize properly. I can post a pic of my custom FMIC outlet pipe if you want, I had it done by ER by request.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /

Last edited by Syndicategt; 08-03-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

^^ Please post a pic of that!

So did you get the 09 version CP from ER, where it comes in a longer piece than the pre-09 versions?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
^^ Please post a pic of that!

So did you get the 09 version CP from ER, where it comes in a longer piece than the pre-09 versions?

TIA
I have some pics on my home compter, will post it later this evening. I bought the competition FMIC that came with the CP, the bung was located right at the BOV if that helps (I'm not sure on the year it was built). I think it's the longer version becuase I have a 2nd ER CP with DV's and it's stubby. Since then, I ordered that custom up-pipe with x2 bungs and plugged my original chargepipe, maybe leave that for nitrous down the road.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Right at the BOV? So is your BOV down by the FMIC (literally RIGHT after the FMIC)? Because I've seen people with their BOV on the side of the FMIC, right before the up-pipe that connects to the CP.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
I have some pics on my home compter, will post it later this evening. I bought the competition FMIC that came with the CP, the bung was located right at the BOV if that helps (I'm not sure on the year it was built). I think it's the longer version becuase I have a 2nd ER CP with DV's and it's stubby. Since then, I ordered that custom up-pipe with x2 bungs and plugged my original chargepipe, maybe leave that for nitrous down the road.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ My BOV is at the normal location on the chargepipe with the original bung near it. The pipe that connects the FIMC to the CP has is my new custom pipe with the x2 bungs.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Gotcha! So your original bung location is similar to my Stett CP setup.....

I thought you bought the CP for the 09 n54s, as I believe they come in one(longer) piece with the bungs located close to the elbow of the CP.....

I'm still interested to see the actual pic though!

TIA

Quote:
^ My BOV is at the normal location on the chargepipe with the original bung near it. The pipe that connects the FIMC to the CP has is my new custom pipe with the x2 bungs.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
longliven54
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

So cx racing intercooler will provide me with an upgraded IC and also optimum placed meth bung.
I thank everyone for their inputs.
@ syndicategt: pics would be awesome bro, thanks for your time and sharing your custom work
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's a picture of my custom ER up-pipe as promised. My hand is where the FMIC connects, other end is where the CP connects, and the bungs are prior to the elbow. I would have had them down 3 inches lower but the space in the car is tight coolant pump is right there. Enjoy the flowers

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the pic!

But wait.....somehow that second bend (the one pointing towards the flowers) looks weird? Because if the position that you're holding is the approximate position that sits when installed, that second bend is pointing towards the snorkel of the intake box......Does that make sense?

I would think that the up-pipe would stop right before that second bend (90 deg. to the left), and that's where the silicone hose would connect the up-pipe and the CP, no?

TIA

Quote:
Here's a picture of my custom ER up-pipe as promised. My hand is where the FMIC connects, other end is where the CP connects, and the bungs are prior to the elbow. I would have had them down 3 inches lower but the space in the car is tight coolant pump is right there. Enjoy the flowers

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

How much for that pipe Syndicategt?
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0