E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > X drive 335 on the track

07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
DashboardDave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i X-Drive

X drive 335 on the track

I'm thinking of taking my 335i xDrive to the track for a driver's education event. Anyone care to share their track stories and tips?

Specifically, any thoughts on how the car will handle compared to a RWD 335?

PS: I have a Dinan stage 3 suspension upgrade. You can read about my experience here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=Dinan
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Go for it. It won't be the same as the rwd but it's still super fun. The car has a under steers so this takes some getting used to if you have tracked other rwd bimmers. If this is your first track experience you won't have anything to compare it to so just have fun!

My xi is all stock.

Cheers and post back after the event. Take pics too!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

it will understeer quite a bit. You don't notice it too much on sweepers, but if the track has an s or some slow sharp turns you will notice. go in a bit slower, otherwise you will just scrub off speed with the corners of the front tires. If it binds up, ease up on the throttle. You can even get the car to pivot by dumping the throttle after it binds up, then bring it back on. You will find you can accelerate out of the turns more aggressively than with the RWD car, as the fronts pull you out. If you drive it right, you are just as fast as the i.

Any additional negative camber you can dial in up front will help. My guess is you have the dinan plates, so it is set. Play with the tire pressure, you may want to run a bit extra in the rear.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
PDS
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

Oh what fun! The rhythm I settled on at the last HPDE was jump on the brakes, release, neutral throttle, turn, just before apex mash throttle, hang on . ( and don't forget to steer )

The strength of AWD is the mid corner and (hence) exit speed because you can start putting the power down earlier than RWD. This gives you a higher terminal speed at the next brake marker.

Enjoy
Appreciate 0