E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Theory on how to reduce the Oil Temp by 10 degree

04-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
luckyguyinla
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335I SEDAN

Theory on how to reduce the Oil Temp by 10 degree

i have 335i sedan e90. I have notice the oil gauge temp when up on accerl and on the hot day. I looking down the under body of the car at the exhaust system. They have 2 pre cat with o2 sensor. 2 after burner cat n resonatorplus 2.25 pipping. I do understand turbo does not like or need back pressure to breath. When you have those config on a stock vehicle. You have major restriction on the exhaust. It will cause heatting up. they have alumium shield around the exhaust pipping prevent heatting or melt the plastic or part of the car. If you have small pipping n alot of restriction with 2 twin turbo. wat is going to happen? u will have heat and some back pressure build up. My theory is because the exhaust was setting up like that the exhaust slowly creeping out from the muffer. Heatting build up. it will cause the oil guage running hot.( EPA Regulation n law) Otherwise you have 335i car polluting the air. n db noise is getting too loud. PLus not Pass ATC. NoT Pass = NO MONEY = NO 335i get the big picture BWM Dealer said its normal. If you have 3 inches X piping from the pre cat to the muffer, you have just make it breath easy n creating the smooth flow. ( NO Resonator NO After Burner Cat )Problem with that settup, You get less miles n Fixing ticket. The benefit of this is 10 degree less on the oil temp. Engine last longer. ANy genius out there.. please respond.

Last edited by luckyguyinla; 04-03-2007 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguyinla View Post
i have 335i sedan e90. I have notice alot of thing about the oil gauge temp when up. I looking down the under body of the car at the exhaust system. They have 2 pre cat with o2 sensor. 2 after burner cat n resoantor plus 2.25 pipping. I do understand turbo does not like or need back pressure to breath. When you have those config on a stock vehicle. You have major restriction on the exhaust. It will cause heatting up. they have alumium shield around the exhaust pipping prevent heatting. If you have small pipping n alot of restriction with 2 twin turbo. wat is going to happen? u will have heat and some back pressure build up. My theory is because the exhaust was setting up like that the exhaust slowly creeping out from the muffer. Heatting build up. it will cause the oil guage running hot.( EPA Regulation n law) Otherwise you have 335i car polluting the air. n db noise is getting too loud. PLus not Pass ATC. NoT Pass = NO MONEY = NO 335i get the big picture BWM Dealer said its normal. If you have 3 inches X piping from the pre cat to the muffer, you have just make it breath easy n creating the smooth flow. ( NO Resonator NO After Burner Cat )Problem with that settup, You get less miles n Fixing ticket. The benefit of this is 10 degree less on the oil temp. Engine last longer. ANy genius out there.. please respond.
I felt like I was reading a foreign language...You could have just said getting an aftermarket exhaust would be your theory.
      04-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Darkkilla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 135i

thanks straz 335 cause he lost me at like 1/4 way through
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz 335 View Post
I felt like I was reading a foreign language...You could have just said getting an aftermarket exhaust would be your theory.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
335iNut
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
i have 335i sedan e90. I have notice alot of thing about the oil gauge temp when up. I looking down the under body of the car at the exhaust system. They have 2 pre cat with o2 sensor. 2 after burner cat n resoantor plus 2.25 pipping. I do understand turbo does not like or need back pressure to breath. When you have those config on a stock vehicle. You have major restriction on the exhaust. It will cause heatting up. they have alumium shield around the exhaust pipping prevent heatting. If you have small pipping n alot of restriction with 2 twin turbo. wat is going to happen? u will have heat and some back pressure build up. My theory is because the exhaust was setting up like that the exhaust slowly creeping out from the muffer. Heatting build up. it will cause the oil guage running hot.( EPA Regulation n law) Otherwise you have 335i car polluting the air. n db noise is getting too loud. PLus not Pass ATC. NoT Pass = NO MONEY = NO 335i get the big picture BWM Dealer said its normal. If you have 3 inches X piping from the pre cat to the muffer, you have just make it breath easy n creating the smooth flow. ( NO Resonator NO After Burner Cat )Problem with that settup, You get less miles n Fixing ticket. The benefit of this is 10 degree less on the oil temp. Engine last longer. ANy genius out there.. please respond.
I hope my old 12th grade english teacher isn't an e90post member. If so, he just had a heart attack.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
luckyguyinla
Private
Rep

I said if u custom your exhaust system.. it should reduce the oil temp. 2nd.. the way bmw exhaust system set up on 335i caused to oil temp to get really high.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
carl_lazlo
Doctor of Journalism
United_States
Rep
Drives: E 92 335i Sapphire Black

Quote:
i have 335i sedan e90. I have notice the oil gauge temp when up on accerl and on the hot day. I looking down the under body of the car at the exhaust system. They have 2 pre cat with o2 sensor. 2 after burner cat n resonatorplus 2.25 pipping. I do understand turbo does not like or need back pressure to breath. When you have those config on a stock vehicle. You have major restriction on the exhaust. It will cause heatting up. they have alumium shield around the exhaust pipping prevent heatting. If you have small pipping n alot of restriction with 2 twin turbo. wat is going to happen? u will have heat and some back pressure build up. My theory is because the exhaust was setting up like that the exhaust slowly creeping out from the muffer. Heatting build up. it will cause the oil guage running hot.( EPA Regulation n law) Otherwise you have 335i car polluting the air. n db noise is getting too loud. PLus not Pass ATC. NoT Pass = NO MONEY = NO 335i get the big picture BWM Dealer said its normal. If you have 3 inches X piping from the pre cat to the muffer, you have just make it breath easy n creating the smooth flow. ( NO Resonator NO After Burner Cat )Problem with that settup, You get less miles n Fixing ticket. The benefit of this is 10 degree less on the oil temp. Engine last longer. ANy genius out there.. please respond.

MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!!!!

I feel like I've just been mugged.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
luckyguyinla
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_lazlo View Post
MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!!!!

I feel like I've just been mugged.
wat do you mean? MY EYES ARE [I]BLEEDING!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
Chi-town330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Can we assume that English isn't your native language? That might explain why...uh.....we don't know what the heck this says.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #10
luckyguyinla
Private
Rep

Yes English was not my native language!..by the way. i have computer science degree .. english was not my strong point. lol

Let me put in normal people to understand.

Underneath of the 335i, you can see how factory setup right?
Factory have 2.25 in pipping from the down pip.
335i have 4 cats for their exhaust system.
2 pre-cat with o2 sensor.
2 after burner cat without senor
1 x style Resonator?
2 dual muffer

For BMW to sale in United Stated on the 335icar . they need to get epa and other agency (Clean air act) to proved for mass production right? that is why they have 4 cat and resonator to ren pass it.

Turbo 101:

Turbo does not need back pressure. Majority of the Hot Rod. You can see huge exhaust pipping to let the mass flow to come out of the exhaust. Turbo work on air induction. n come out thru the muffer.

Problem:
if u have twin turbo, you need large piping n less restrict on the flow right? because u need to get the flow out as fast you can right?
They way BMW Setup(engeirring ) for the exhaust system have too much restriction. If you have too much restriction on the exhaust system, flow cant get out to the muffer asap right? It will cause Flow to backup a little during High accerl or hard stoping or amienbian temp. ( spell check plz) lol. When you have back up flow, it will get hot and much hotter. Therefore, on the OIL TEMP GUAGE Indicator show you get about 225 to 275 degree right? too high temp people complain or concern to the dealer about it. BWM Dealer said it is normal. am i right? That is why people have an issue with the OIL COOLER. The oil Cooler over working to cool down the over heating engine to prevent pre mature manufunction.

Solution.
If you remove 2 after burner cat, Resonator, and increase the piping size from the pre-cat to the dual muffer. You just ease the flow and less restriction on the flow.. I suggest to do 3 inch pipping for max preformance. You can also setup 2.5 inch pipping.

Result:
10-20 Degree Less . what do i mean by that?
Each of the Line on the OIL Gauge INdicator is about 10 degree.
PRevent premature engine failure.

Class is over. YOu may dismiss. lol jk
Appreciate 0