E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > ED and Trading in a Car

04-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Doccommando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Evo IX

ED and Trading in a Car

So, I test drove a 335 sedan MT over the weekend and loved it. Much more refined than my Evo.

Here's my issue:

I'd like to do an ED and I'd also like to trade one of my cars when I purchase the BMW. However, I'll be without a car for 6-8 weeks while the car rides the boat over. Anyone else have this issue? Are the dealerships flexible with working around the trade in?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Since your ED car needs to be paid for 2 weeks prior to picking it up in Munich, I don't see how the dealer would allow you to drive around in what technically is their car once you complete the purchase with the trade-in. That's one of the quirks of an ED...pay for your car, drive it in Europe and then wait until it gets shipped back to the states. Have you considered a private sale for your current car?

You also said you would be trading in one of your cars....can't you drive the other while you're waiting?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
beestroh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doccommando View Post
So, I test drove a 335 sedan MT over the weekend and loved it. Much more refined than my Evo.

Here's my issue:

I'd like to do an ED and I'd also like to trade one of my cars when I purchase the BMW. However, I'll be without a car for 6-8 weeks while the car rides the boat over. Anyone else have this issue? Are the dealerships flexible with working around the trade in?

Thanks for the help.
My dealer gave me an estimate of my trade value at the time I signed the contract for ED. He told me that if I continued to drive the same 1000 miles a month that I had been driving and if it was unchanged in cosmetics/functionality, that it would be still be worth within a few hundred bucks of his estimate when I took delivery. Since it wasn't part of the contract, I was free to sell it myself in the meantime if I chose. I didn't (it was my only car), and it turns out he gave me the exact amount he earlier quoted.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doccommando View Post
I'd like to do an ED and I'd also like to trade one of my cars when I purchase the BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beestroh View Post
My dealer gave me an estimate of my trade value at the time I signed the contract for ED. He told me that if I continued to drive the same 1000 miles a month that I had been driving and if it was unchanged in cosmetics/functionality, that it would be still be worth within a few hundred bucks of his estimate when I took delivery. Since it wasn't part of the contract, I was free to sell it myself in the meantime if I chose. I didn't (it was my only car), and it turns out he gave me the exact amount he earlier quoted.
So beestroh, your experience was that you really didn't trade in your car at the time of purchase, you sold your car to the dealer after you returned from ED. You still needed to pay the full purchase price of your new car before ED. I don't know if this is what the OP had in mind...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
bailey544
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi sport wagon

I too made the same sort of deal as beestroh. Paid in full in Nov and sold my old car to dealer at redelivery in late Jan. The sales tax was only on the difference, however, so it worked about the same as the trade.

I did feel vulnerable that the dealer could low ball me at redelivery compared to their earlier estimate and I had no bargaining power. However, my dealer treated me well not wanting to sour the whole thing right at the end for a few hundred bucks.
      04-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
beestroh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
So beestroh, your experience was that you really didn't trade in your car at the time of purchase, you sold your car to the dealer after you returned from ED. You still needed to pay the full purchase price of your new car before ED. I don't know if this is what the OP had in mind...
Yeah. Dealers have no incentive to buy a car from you and continue to let you drive it. Your out is what I described.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

Traded in my car at time of placing order for ED. Got a fairly good price (better than Carmaxx), but I was fortunate to have another car to drive while I wait for redelivery of my ED. The real advantage of trading in when you pay for your car, is that you don't pay sales tax on the amount of your trade-in when you pay the tax on your ED vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajag View Post
The real advantage of trading in when you pay for your car, is that you don't pay sales tax on the amount of your trade-in when you pay the tax on your ED vehicle.
I just want to point out that this depends on the state. MD for example still taxes the full MSRP with or without a trade.

To the OP, I feel your pain. We only have two cars in my household so if I do Euro delivery that means my wife & I will have to share a car which will be a hassle since we don't work at the same place.