E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > What should I do? Please help!

06-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

What should I do? Please help!

So here's what happened, you be the judge:

I had called Shane Stock, the guy who was referred to me by someone who worked at a dealership, to tint my windows. At first, he wanted to charge me $200 for the job, then I haggled with him and agreed at $150. I thought that wasn't a bad deal, considering he mobile too, so I went with it. He met me at my house to do the tint. I had first used him to strip my tint a couple years ago, so I thought why not use him agin to tint my windows, especially when he does/did work for Rasmussen BMW's cars, right? WRONG!! Anyway, on with the story.......

So after the tint was done, I had waited a couple of day before examining the tint. I found a few scratches on the passenger side tint, one on my driver side tint. So I called him to have him come over to look at it. Well, a week or so later, he shows up to look at the tint. He then admittedly told me that the 'scratches' that I thought were in the tints, were actually creases/wrinkles from him moving the windows up and down a little when applying the film. At this point, I pointed out what I thought were air bubbles in the back window tint. He took one look at it and said it was dust particles trapped in the tint. This is the size of a dime, bunch of little bubbles close together....

I asked him if he was going to redo the two front windows and the back. He started saying how he was getting paid less than usual "what did I expect with that low of a price" and how he can't be perfect at everything, blah blah blah.....At this point, he seem even reluctant to redo the windows for me. I told him all I want is for him to honor his craftsmanship/installation, and just redo the windows since it's an install error. Finally, after much going back and forth he agreed to redo the windows, but at a friend's shop, in order to do a better job with the dust. So we made an arrangement to meet at his friend's shop Friday, June 10 @ 8:30am.

Friday comes around, I go to the shop. He was there already and I just made sure with him that the redo is still going to happen. He didn't answer me at all the first time I asked him, so I asked him again and by this time, he replied with an attitude saying "I'm just going to strip the tint and refund you the money". I was kinda caught off guard, because if he had wanted to do that in the first place, he should have just told me that last week when we made the arrangement to meet again. Or he could have called during that week to tell me that he's going to refund me my money. I know I'm still getting my money back, but I just don't like surprises.

On with the story.... So I left the car there, went across the street to Mickey D's to get some coffee. Came back 1.5 hours later and the car's already done, sitting outside in their parking lot. I thought, strange, the first time he stripped my tint at the house, it took him well over 2 hours. Why so fast this time? Anyway, went and 'quickly' inspected the windows looks okay, so got the refund and left.

Went to a different shop to get my windows done. When the shop was prepping the windows, they brought to my attention that there were some scratches and wanted me to look at them before moving ahead. Just so I know that it wasn't from them working on my car. Long story short, there were multiple scores/scratches in the rear passenger glass. There's one fine line going vertically towards the top, and the rest are all at the bottom of the glass towards the door seal. When they showed me, I was livid but knew I had to be calm somehow......

So I called Shane Stock right away and told him what the guys had found on the glass. I had told Shane that I thought those scratches are from him stripping the glue off the glass. He obviously denied did as I expected, and basically said "you're no longer my customer" and hung up on me. Next, I tried calling the guy at the dealership who referred me to Shane, and left him a voicemail regarding what I can/should do. Haven't heard back yet....

At this point, I'm not sure what I can do. I had the shop price out the rear glass, and they said they can get the OEM piece, and install it for $122. I really don't want to have to pay out of my own pocket. As I truly believe that it should be Shane's responsibility.

Please chime in.....

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Well first I would talk to the guy at the dealership in person. Expalin to him what happened. Then ask him how much would it cost to either repair (which I don't think it's possible) or replace the window. Then tell him that he should talk to his buddy and have him cover the damages or else you will lawyer up.

or do it the NJ way
I don't how big you are or if you got any decent sized friends. Walk in there with the cost of repairs and tell him he better cover that shit. Get as loud as possible and intimidate the living shit out of this mother fucker. It also helps if he has other clients around because this way he will try and save face in order not to loose clients.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ya, I think I'll stop by in person to try and get a hold of that guy at the dealership......At this point, the only way to get a hold of 'Shane' is by phone, he doesn't have a shop, so it's hard to make him responsible in that way. All his services are mobile, and I guess that's where he makes his money at, not really any overhead. But that's exactly the reason why I'm worried. With a guy like that, he could deny EVERYTHING if I'm lucky enough to get him to court, and even that, I think is too far of a stretch for some piece of glass, no? I think if I lawyer up for real, I can buy more than one piece of glass for my car for the money......LOL.

I like the NJ way, funny that's the OR way as well. It would be no doubt to do that IF he had a shop.........

I just basically want to either make 'Shane' responsible and foot the bill, or in some way, give him a bad review so he loses customers......Basically teach him a lesson about business ethics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Well first I would talk to the guy at the dealership in person. Expalin to him what happened. Then ask him how much would it cost to either repair (which I don't think it's possible) or replace the window. Then tell him that he should talk to his buddy and have him cover the damages or else you will lawyer up.

or do it the NJ way
I don't how big you are or if you got any decent sized friends. Walk in there with the cost of repairs and tell him he better cover that shit. Get as loud as possible and intimidate the living shit out of this mother fucker. It also helps if he has other clients around because this way he will try and save face in order not to loose clients.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Ya, I think I'll stop by in person to try and get a hold of that guy at the dealership......At this point, the only way to get a hold of 'Shane' is by phone, he doesn't have a shop, so it's hard to make him responsible in that way. All his services are mobile, and I guess that's where he makes his money at, not really any overhead. But that's exactly the reason why I'm worried. With a guy like that, he could deny EVERYTHING if I'm lucky enough to get him to court, and even that, I think is too far of a stretch for some piece of glass, no? I think if I lawyer up for real, I can buy more than one piece of glass for my car for the money......LOL.

I like the NJ way, funny that's the OR way as well. It would be no doubt to do that IF he had a shop.........

I just basically want to either make 'Shane' responsible and foot the bill, or in some way, give him a bad review so he loses customers......Basically teach him a lesson about business ethics.
To me this Shane character is a real dick. Your best bet is to work his friend at the dealership since he recommened him. Although it's not his fault but I would lay the guilt trip down and have him talk to Shane. And when I say talk to Shane, I mean right there in your presence. Have him call Shane and put him on speaker phone this way you can state your case.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ya I think that's the route I'm gonna take.....

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
E92ML
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
To me this Shane character is a real dick. Your best bet is to work his friend at the dealership since he recommened him. Although it's not his fault but I would lay the guilt trip down and have him talk to Shane. And when I say talk to Shane, I mean right there in your presence. Have him call Shane and put him on speaker phone this way you can state your case.
+1

Performance: JB4 ECU, CP-E DP's, WW BMS Meth Kit, AR meth elbow, BMS DCI, AFE Intake Scoops,
Exterior: Enkruez 19" H8R, H&R Spacers, Aero Lip, Tint, ACS Roof Spoiler, HID AE's, HID Fogs, Black Grills, Sport Pedals
Appreciate 0