E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Have questions about ordering the 335IX

03-31-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

Have questions about ordering the 335IX

I suppose to pick up a 335i Coupe in July from Munich but I really want the 335 IX. Does anyone on this board certainly knows if the 335IX coupe will be for sale in the USA this year.

I rather have the AWD coupe than the RWD. I was going to ordered a LSD to compensate the lack of AWD but as I said before, I would be much more interested in turning around and wait for the IX but the problem is that mine coupe is about to start being built so that is why either I cancel my order or hold my purchased and reserve the upcoming car.

So far I read some topics from people from Canada and what not but I need confirmation fast. Your help would be appreciated ! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI, all BMW's

it will be in the fall... a little birdie told me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Well, the big dilema/challenge would be trying to make the salesman to change my current order.
I am incline to say that he wouldn't for the simple fact that it would delay his comission (profit from selling me the car).
If there is any way that I can reserve a 335IX I would. Anyone knows how to? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
They are already being built and coming out. Do a search on it but there are some on the docks here already. Also if your CA won't let you out of it you should cancel it. That also isn't out of the question and you can do a little research here and see others that have changed their order for far less. Upgraded iDrive, etc. It really shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Oh, forgot to mention. One of the downsides of canceling your order right now is that there is quite a demand for the 335 engine and that might significantly delay your order. But you really should get what you want. You are paying enough for it...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

The 335XI sedan should start arriving in showrooms in April, the XI coupe and cnvt will be out as '08's starting in October and after 10/16 for pickup in the Welt ( the new delivery center in Munich ) for ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
JoeS
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: '06 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
The 335XI sedan should start arriving in showrooms in April, the XI coupe and cnvt will be out as '08's starting in October and after 10/16 for pickup in the Welt ( the new delivery center in Munich ) for ED.
Irv,
Correct me if I am wrong but unless something has changed in the last week, there will be no AWD convertibles offered.

I wish there were, we could sell the heck out of them here.

Best Regards,
JoeS
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post

Thank you soo much, I will attemp to change that at the dealership. My biggest battle would be convencing the salesman to change my order.

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
First thing you'll want to do is quit saying "IX" and start saying "XI". At least then the CA will think you know something about the car.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Well, I talked to 2 BMW dealers and also with BMW of North America and I got some updates.

The original dealer in which I originally placed an order is willing to hold on and wait for the possible upcoming of the 335XI coupe, therefore allowing me to change my order.
Secondly, a salesman from a BMW dealer in Phoenix(can't recall right now) is telling me that they can take an order on the sedan 335XI.
Last but not least BMW of North America told me that they can't confirm the launch of the Coupe 335XI.

I really want an AWD but I have the dilema of the weight. While the AWD might be better to launch it, it is also much heavier and will be slower than the RWD on the HWY roll acceleration.

On the other note, I was originally thinking of putting a LSD on a regular Coupe but then it could cost me as much as the difference between the XI and the regular.

I am estimating that the XI will cost an additional $2000, what do you guys think?

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

it's not "official" yet, but the coupe xi will be out in the fall... they won't tell you that yet, but believe me when I tell you it's coming out.

the xi sedan is here now... I have 2 sitting on the lot. if you want that, you may be able to just order one right now and have it in 8 weeks. If I lived in AZ I'd just get the 335i coupe and add LSD... the AWD will take a bit of power and you don't have the problems with snow that we do.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Thank you soo much, I think you are thinking along the same lines as I do.
I owned 7 AWD cars so far(2 Stealths R/T TT,2 Evos,1 WRX,3 DSM eclipses GSXs and a Porsche Carrera 4), I do appreciate the AWD a lot and I prefer to have AWD over anything else but I am aware of the drivetrain loss and extra weight which also translates on worse gas mileage.

I am soo splitted right now.. I know that eventually I would put a LSD if I decide to get the regular coupe but having the AWD out from the box is just a peace of mind.

My Evo was traded in and I fortunately have other means of transportation while I wait but I think that having a BMW that you would enjoy a lot for the next few years is worth the wait. My original Munich pick-up date was July 3rd, I told the dealer to undefintely post the dates.

I guess I can wait a few more weeks and see what is going to happen. Does anyone knows how this AWD system would be? with active center differential like the Evos/STIs, or permanent AWD like the Subaru WRX or with rear LSD like the VR4's?

Thanks guys!

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
theroyalwe
BMW CA
United_States
Rep

x-drive is designed that it runs 60/40 rear/front bias... the center diff is active as well as the front/rear diffs that will allow them to transfer power to just one wheel if only that wheel has traction. to me, though, it just doesn't feel quite as quick as the regular 335i. I specifically drove one of each back to back tonight. I still say that it is very nice, and I'll probably get one for myself as a winter driver... but if I were looking for a performance car and lived somewhere that it doesn't snow all the time I would get RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #14
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

I just read in a motor and trend forum that this AWD doesn't even have a rear LSD plus the AWD is not always on but in harsh road conditions.

Here is a quote:

"I do know that BMW's all wheel drive system is not available 100% of the time, meaning it only works in harsh weather conditions compared to Audi's Quattro system being full time AWD. There is also a lack of a Limited Slip Differential on the 335xi making it less of a track vehicle"

and.. this is the link:

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/1098...di-tt-coupe-a/

I personally think that I am going to pass on the XI model. It is a AWD but it lacks on many other aspects(too much weight, worse gas mileage, not a true sport AWD system, extra cost, extra wait)

I think I am going to go ahead and continue with my original regular RWD 335i and maybe consider putting a LSD. I have seen people cutting 1.90 flat on the 60' with an auto and stock tires, that is really really good for a car that doesn't even have a LSD.

Basicly it boils down to the fact that for one time in a million perhaps the 335i RWD is not in such disavantage compare to the XI. A LSD will bring the acceleration equal or even better than having a AWD and from a roll the RWD will win. Chapter close, I am getting the RWD.

Thanks indeed for all your incredible support!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #15
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
Irv,
Correct me if I am wrong but unless something has changed in the last week, there will be no AWD convertibles offered.

I wish there were, we could sell the heck out of them here.

Best Regards,
JoeS
We're speculating on the vert but expect to see the coupes by the fall or sooner,but probably as an '08 in the fall..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Gotta Believe

I have already transferred my deposit from the 335XI sedan to 335XI Coupe....for September / October. It's going to happen, you can't order the specific options yet, the pricing is not out so put in a pre-order based on the 2007 335i Coupe.

Unlikely there will be a sports-suspension since it is an XI.

Relax, go talk to your salesguy and ask him to transfer your deposit to the 2008 335xi coupe and give him a list of options that you would want. Once the BMW computer systems allow the dealer to place an order you will be on the top of the pile and shouldn't have a problem with allocation.

Also once the system has opened up to order the xi coupe, your dealer should call you to confirm the options you really want since the option list will be available at that time.

Just remember dealers will try to sell what they have like any store. Just have a little faith and change your order to what you want.
      04-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
Thank you soo much, I think you are thinking along the same lines as I do.
I owned 7 AWD cars so far(2 Stealths R/T TT,2 Evos,1 WRX,3 DSM eclipses GSXs and a Porsche Carrera 4), I do appreciate the AWD a lot and I prefer to have AWD over anything else but I am aware of the drivetrain loss and extra weight which also translates on worse gas mileage.

I am soo splitted right now.. I know that eventually I would put a LSD if I decide to get the regular coupe but having the AWD out from the box is just a peace of mind.

My Evo was traded in and I fortunately have other means of transportation while I wait but I think that having a BMW that you would enjoy a lot for the next few years is worth the wait. My original Munich pick-up date was July 3rd, I told the dealer to undefintely post the dates.

I guess I can wait a few more weeks and see what is going to happen. Does anyone knows how this AWD system would be? with active center differential like the Evos/STIs, or permanent AWD like the Subaru WRX or with rear LSD like the VR4's?

Thanks guys!

Carlos

The X drive is superior in many ways mate..... Go look at the RS4 vs. E39 M5 videos....Quattro sucks the living life out the engine at high speeds.

The X Drive system can shift torque completely (i.e. 100%) to the rear or front. While the system will start off with some torque to the front, it transfers all torque to the rear at high speeds so you in many ways, X Drive is like a mullet, AWD for slippery times and RWD for party times.

BMW is also saying the XI is faster than the RWD for 0-60 and the fuel economy is not too different at all....see this:
Attached Images

04-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #18
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

T-bone, by no means I am trying to discredit the AWD, in fact I am happy for you that you are getting one and I encourage anyone to get one, I am just considering other options.

I have been closely following other aspects of the 335i (RWD), the traction control, the good weight distribution and other minors things makes the even RWD car a respectable car on acceleration. Like I mentioned before, somone cut a 1.90 sec 60' on an auto on street tires, that is phenomenal.

Adding a LSD would make the AWD over the RWD advantage marginal on 0-60 acceleration. I know it is a tough call but I guess that in this case you have to roll the dices and wait. Boths models are too new and there is not comparisson data except the individual above (irvrobinson) which he said that he drove both.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #19
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

T-bone,

Do you know for a fact if the XI would be able to have paddle shifters?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #20
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Thank you soo much, I will attemp to change that at the dealership. My biggest battle would be convencing the salesman to change my order.

Carlos
Carlos,

It shouldn't be a battle between you and the salesman. Just be corteous with him and tell him that his commission will be even bigger with the more expensive AWD model. I'd say screw his commission, this is about what YOU want and what makes you happy.

You're doing the right thing, my man, AWD is the way to go if you plan to "Procede" your 335.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
T-bone,

Do you know for a fact if the XI would be able to have paddle shifters?

Thanks!
There will not be paddle shifters for the XI. This is from my salesguy, who I do trust.

There are a couple of BMW salespeople on this thread and they are saying the same thing.

What do you even want paddle shifters, they are part of the Steptronic.....