E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Big problems with making Jet Black color at the dealership !

05-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 320d

Big problems with making Jet Black color at the dealership !

Hello,

I have bought M Sport package and now the bumpers are painted and the color does not match with my old color. My dealer told me that BMW has only one non metallic black, Schwarz 2 - BMW 668. And now I see that my car has some greenish tone in black and this new color is deeper black than original and it has some red tone. I am really pissed off ! Both are black but mine is like little grey in comparision with this new one. On one place on the web I have found that BMW has 2 versions of the 668 color, one is pure black and the other is with 5% green ? Is it really possible that Jet Black has 5% green and that it is not 100% black when you want to make it in shop ? Please if anyone can give me info what are the parts for BMW 668 color so I can show it to my dealer and tell him that this is the color that I need and I dont care if BMW has only one black color because it does not match with my car. Please take note that I am from Croatia and I need some infos that I can print or use , not answers like, change the dealer because I will do that but I want have something to show him in case that he also says me that it is 100% black and I will get the same problem again.

Thank you very much and I hope that someone will help me.

Cheers
      05-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Jet Black has been a one-formula color since 1989. Code is 668, also known as Schwarz II.

Here's the composition:

M4 727.1g
A926 236.7g
A503 32.0g
A032 3.0g

I think there are 2 possibilities: either your car's color has changed due to exposure to light/some sort of chemical, or more likely, the body shop made a simple mistake when mixing the color. Could also be that one of their mixing colors was installed incorrectly, so even if they think they're mixing the correct color, it's different.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Regardless of whatever colors there are on the market, it is the body shops job to determine the color of the car, not customers job, not to mention having the proper quality control to demand a 100% color match before the customer arrives to pick up the car.

My shop would have never let me show up to pick up my car with a mismatched paint job. They would have stripped it back off and repainted it until it matched!

I would not have pulled the vehicle off the lot until it was repainted to my satisfaction!
      05-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks alot for quick response. I dont think that my color is faded because it is in the garage and the color is abnormaly different, I almost lost it when I saw how different it is on the sunlight. So you are 100% secure that this is the right composition for Jet Black color ? Also can you please explain me better those codes:

M4 727.1g
A926 236.7g
A503 32.0g
A032 3.0g

Is it the same for all color manufacturers ? I dont know what manufacturer they use.

@SpmnE9zero: I know and this dealer repainted it twice and I was mad because I waited for those bumpers 5 weeks and I have noticed it when rear bumper was on the car because I thought that pure black is impossible to mismatch, boy was I wrong.

Thanks A LOT !
      05-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busha View Post
Thanks alot for quick response. I dont think that my color is faded because it is in the garage and the color is abnormaly different, I almost lost it when I saw how different it is on the sunlight. So you are 100% secure that this is the right composition for Jet Black color ? Also can you please explain me better those codes:

M4 727.1g
A926 236.7g
A503 32.0g
A032 3.0g

Is it the same for all color manufacturers ? I dont know what manufacturer they use.

Thanks A LOT !
I am not 100% sure about paint codes in Croatia, if you guys have more then one shade of Black with green or whatever the case is, but it is besides the point, they should have matched what you had based off the vin number of the car.

All they have to do or you for that matter is call the dealership with your vin and they will give you or them the paint code.
      05-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Paint code is not the problem, all paint codes for BMWs are the same, mine is Schwarz 2 - UNI 668, it is the same in USA also, you call it Jet Black. But this Schwarz 2 in my paint shop system does not match my paint on old bumpers and on the whole car. So I want to see what are ingredients of Schwarz 2 color and show them that they see that dont make it good because if I understood them correctly, they use only black pigment color and base and thats it, and I thought also that Jet Black is pure black and now it seems that it has some green parts in it and maybe some other. Also, I will go in other paint shop but I want to ask them right away if they use those codes for Jel Black, if they say that they use only black like those in first paint shop then I will warn them that this is not correct color for my car.
      05-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

M4 727.1g
A926 236.7g
A503 32.0g
A032 3.0g

@SpmnE9zero: I know and this dealer repainted it twice and I was mad because I waited for those bumpers 5 weeks and I have noticed it when rear bumper was on the car because I thought that pure black is impossible to mismatch, boy was I wrong.

Thanks A LOT !
This is taken directly from the Glasurit color selector (http://color-online.glasurit.com/) This is the paint BMW uses at their factory. There are 4 parts to jet black, as I listed, with each of the 4 standard mixing colors all body shops should have access to.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, there are 3 variants of Jet Black ! Darker, Darker and Darker and Dirtier and Red and a lot more without name. How the hell do they know which one they need for my car !? As I can see I need Glasurit Line 90 but I dont know what type.
      05-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

There is only one for BMW Cars listed under 668 and called Schwarzs
BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE SCHWARZ 2 668

1989-2012 95/00 and consists of:
Glasurit Line 22 Glasurit Line 90 Glasurit Line 55
If your original paint is not faded or discolored, then they used an incorrectly mixed paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Those are lines of Glasurit paints, not ingredients for how to make Schwarz 2 color. Or I am wrong ? But I dont think so, yakev724 has posted ingredients for Standard Schwarz 2 color. But I dont understand why there are other than Standard there...
      05-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Those are lines of Glasurit paints, not ingredients for how to make Schwarz 2 color. Or I am wrong ? But I dont think so, yakev724 has posted ingredients for Standard Schwarz 2 color. But I dont understand why there are other than Standard there...
There are 3 different lines of paint from Glasurit, but they are all the same color. I believe BMW uses 90 Line in the factory, though you may double check.

There is only ONE version of 668/Schwarz II/Jet Black.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, thanks, I see that you know about colors. And what are those Darker etc ? I find Schwarz 2 and when I click on it I get in lower right corner that Standard and below are Darker etc.

I will print this and take it to some paint shop and tell them to make me spray with that color and I will just paint some plastic piece to see if the color matches with my car.

Tnx a lot !
      05-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I stand corrected.

All 3 paint lines show the same mix for "standard" which is what BMW would use to maintain quality control and consistency across their production lines and model years.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks, I see that you know about colors. And what are those Darker etc ? I find Schwarz 2 and when I click on it I get in lower right corner that Standard and below are Darker etc.

I will print this and take it to some paint shop and tell them to make me spray with that color and I will just paint some plastic piece to see if the color matches with my car.

Tnx a lot !
Hmmm....can't help you there.

I'm 99% sure BMW uses only the 'standard' in the factory, so the 'standard' mix should match up to your car.

As mentioned before, the body shop should be able to match paint almost perfectly without any codes/formulas.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well that may be tha case in US because your paint shops have expensive equipment for that but that is not the case here. I will try to show them this from Glasurit.

Tnx
      05-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Its not an expensive device thats used to match colors. Home supply stores use it to match wall paint. Car places use it to match auto paint. I dont know how it is over there but I wouldn't trust a body shop who cant paint match and be certain.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Today I went to other paint shop and acording to Glasurit the Schwarz 2 color contains black, bright brown ( ocker ) and liiitle bit of red ! Maybe thats why I have redish black ?
      06-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, here is the photo, upper side is OEM Schwarz 2 - 668 - Jet Black, from the factory, other is also Jet Black according to PPG but it is not even close to OEM color. So, my car, according to Glasurit Line 55 has 20% green in it, talk about pure black Ok, here is the photo, upper side is OEM Schwarz 2 - 668 - Jet Black, from the factory, other is also Jet Black according to PPG but it is not even close to OEM color. So, my car, according to Glasurit Line 55 has 20% green in it, talk about pure black And that is only with Glasurit Line 55, Line 90 is obviously not used in factory since it has only black and grey in it, Line 55 has around 20% of dark green, maybe someone would need this info later.

Also, this site is MUCH better, it shows all color that go in the mixture:

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/
Attached Images

04-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #19
yjhwang02
Registered
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

Now, I also have the exactly same issue with matching the color.

Ordered the paint from the local body shop which have a fancy paint matching system.

Painted in my garage today, however, it won't match. looks like more brownish.

Local bodyshop told me that they mixed the paint as per the recipe saved in their system.

Left: existing paint
Right: new paint that I sprayed today
Attached Images

Appreciate 0