E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Weird noise after Quaife install

05-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Weird noise after Quaife install

Well, I've been dealing with this for over a year, but I figured I'll post a thread as someone might eventually be able to help

So, ever since I got my Quaife put in (6AT, bolted diff) I have a strange noise upon accelerating from low to medium speed in a high gear. For example lightly accelerating from 25mph in 5th gear. It's especially notable when the car is cold but won't go away totally when the car is warmed up.

The noise is a bit hard to describe. It's a deep frequency grumbling kind of noise, which sounds like some vibrating frequency is being amplified through the drivetrain. Or like the driveshaft is out of balance. It's no mechanical gear grinding, and it's not backlash noise either (I get a very very slight backlash related humming from 90 - 95 mph).

The shop has double-checked the install. They've got no idea where it comes from. It doesn't sound harmful, just an annoyance.

Here's a video: you can hear it at 0:41 and at 0:49.

http://youtu.be/IR0pKf_PHbA

Sorry, don't know how to embed vids.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune

Last edited by TurboBimmer; 05-18-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
f00dstamps
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Why would you accelerate from a low speed in a high gear? I wouldn't recommend accelerating in 5th gear if you're at 25mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00dstamps View Post
Why would you accelerate from a low speed in a high gear? I wouldn't recommend accelerating in 5th gear if you're at 25mph.
Exactly, I wouldn't worry about it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00dstamps View Post
Well in D mode the auto tranny is always in a high gear. And with a cold engine you shouldn't rev high.

Point is, the noise isn't normal and it's 100% related to the diff install.

I'm not really worried but it's an annoyance I would like to get rid off.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
C4sF80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Well High gear at 25mph would make a noise in my MT if I ever decided to do that. It would probably sound very angry if I tried to do that. The engine isn't really designed to handle that much torque at such a low rpm.

At that low of speed driveshaft balance would not come into play.

Where is the noise coming from exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Well in D mode the auto tranny is always in a high gear. And with a cold engine you shouldn't rev high.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Thing to realize is that LSDs are noiser than open diffs we get in our cars by design...they're way less noisy on automatics though due to the torque converter that muffles a ton of noise in the driveline...manuals will have a bit more noises but in all honesty these noises, if the car came with them, would've just been taken for stock car operating noises and ignored...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Well I've driven in another Quaife equipped 335i and the noise is definitely not normal.

Problem is, it doesn't seem to come from one precise area, but more like some resonance or vibration of some part of the drivetrain which is picked up and amplified. A more or less pronounced grumble, that's the best I can do to describe it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Could you make a video to show the noise? This might help members help you!
      05-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Added a link to a video to the first post.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

damn, I'm glad I went with the OEM m3 diff....

m3 paddles are sick, do you mind telling how much they costed you?
      05-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Sounds like diff grinding.

Did you break the differential in properly after installed through lock to lock figure eights?

Have you double checked your fluid levels in the diff.?

If you did both of the above then the shop may not have shimmed/installed the diff properly. Usually this happens when one of the wheels on either side of the car is rotating at a higher speed than another, like on a low speed right turn or around a roundabout.

You could speak to Quaife about this as well. They could probably offer some insight.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie335 View Post
damn, I'm glad I went with the OEM m3 diff....

m3 paddles are sick, do you mind telling how much they costed you?
I got the from a board member for $380. Brand new they're around $450. I also have an M3 DCT steering wheel so they fit properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Sounds like diff grinding.

Did you break the differential in properly after installed through lock to lock figure eights?

Have you double checked your fluid levels in the diff.?

If you did both of the above then the shop may not have shimmed/installed the diff properly. Usually this happens when one of the wheels on either side of the car is rotating at a higher speed than another, like on a low speed right turn or around a roundabout.

You could speak to Quaife about this as well. They could probably offer some insight.
Hmm, I didn't break the diff in. Never heard that needs to be done
And I suppose the shop checked the fluid level. But I may have them recheck this, although I won't be able to drop off the car soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the from a board member for $380. Brand new they're around $450. I also have an M3 DCT steering wheel so they fit properly.

Hmm, I didn't break the diff in. Never heard that needs to be done
And I suppose the shop checked the fluid level. But I may have them recheck this, although I won't be able to drop off the car soon.
You can try still to do it. I've always been told to do this.

I had leaking half shaft seals on my e46M. They only leaked while the car was moving and consequently didn't leave any spots in the garage. I noticed a N/V/H from the diff at lower rpms at high speed because the fluid was really low.

You could also try a new diff fluid, sometimes it helps.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

According to the bill, the shop used 2 litres of Castrol SAF XJ "Sperröl". Looks like a dedicated oil for LSDs. Could that have any incidence?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
dyezak
General of the Armies
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Quaif diff's are a torsen style LSD...and do not have a break in process. Clutch pack LSD's have the break in process you are describing.

And in case the OP was wondering...the LSD break in process for a clutch style LSD is to drive in figure eights for 20min getting dizzy and making yourself puke. Then letting the car sit for a day, then changing the diff fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyezak View Post
Quaif diff's are a torsen style LSD...and do not have a break in process. Clutch pack LSD's have the break in process you are describing.
Good to know, didn't realize they were Torsen style diffs. Well since obviously break in is out, where do you think the noise is coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyezak View Post
And in case the OP was wondering...the LSD break in process for a clutch style LSD is to drive in figure eights for 20min getting dizzy and making yourself puke. Then letting the car sit for a day, then changing the diff fluid.
Lol, isn't that the truth.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
dyezak
General of the Armies
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

OP, there are different oils for different types of LSD's. Clutch style LSD's need oils with friction modifiers in them to allow the clutch packs to work properly. But torsen LSD's usually don't have that requirement. From the Quaife installs I've been googling they usually recomend a 75w-90 non LSD style oil (think standard Redline). And as M3THOD said, incorrect fluid can give you wierd vibrations/noises. Best bet is to call Quaife and ask them. Remember though, they are a UK company so their timezone is way ahead of us and they talk about fish and chips...

Cheerio!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Very strange noise indeed and actually never associated to a diff only.
Regarding break in Birds suggest that the only thing required is having a gentle 15 km first with lots of left-right turns and that's it and this is to achieve a full lubrication in the group.
The gear lube shall not have friction modifiers.
I would suggest you change first the valvolines with for instance redline 75w140ns and see what comes.
If the noise persists then check the housings bolts are fully tightened and also the propshaft nut.
It's hard to speculate this noise coming from the internals of the pumpkin.
Any vibrations you experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I can't say that's normal. On my Quaife there are no noises like that - 3.46 auto diff installed on a 6MT. From your video it sounds like a weird pulsating noise, right?.

I'd start by checking to make sure your exhaust isn't loose and resonating against the chassis at a certain frequency. Resonating / pulsating noises often come from the exhaust system touching the car, and the exhaust would have to be dismantled to install the pumpkin so it's a good possibility. If that's not it, I'd check all the mounts for the diff, subframe, and even transmission (they shouldn't have to even loosen that for install though). Might not hurt to go over the U-joints on the driveshaft one more time and the bolts holding the axles on - but I'd imagine a if these items were loose you'd have a real racket going on at any speed.
      05-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Noise is typical of clutch type diffs..like OS Giken..but Quaife are gear driven mechanical LSDs they shouldnt make noises..I can tell you 9/10 times LSD noises are related to the type of gear oil being used..

My suggestion PM Harold at HP autowerks..he really knows Quaifes..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

I had my Quaife installed this past week and have this same grumbling noise as well. It does not occur in low gears at a moderate throttle but when riding down the highway and application of part throttle it is very pronounced. Like the OP it occurs at various speeds when throttle is applied at low RPMs.

No apparent whining from improper backlash.

Car is a 1/2007 build AT. Unlike the newer pumpkins which are smaller, the shop said it went in w/o requiring any material being removed. Redline N/S Fluid.

I taking it to the shop on Monday morning to get their thoughts. No one else have this issue?

Last edited by 335iSSA; 01-07-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

I'm keen to hear of any solutions to grumbling.

Got my quaife a month or so ago and instantly noticed very mild vibration from about 45mph up. I seem to notice it more when cold. Its so slight that pasengers can't work out what I'm talking about but I can def feel and hear it. Like a slight imbalance.

Spoke to the guy that fitted it and he drove it and only noticed it because I specifically pointed it out but agreed there is a slight noise/vibration. He had a look over but said there was nothing obvious. Even balanced the wheels just to be sure it wasnt that.

Sometimes it doesn't bother me but other times it drives me mad and I would like to find out what it could be.
Appreciate 0