E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede and too much torque

05-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Procede and too much torque

So I am still wrestling with how to get the most power efficiently to the ground with my procede and helix turbos. I have full bolt ons and an LSD.

I started on Map 2 with boost Control and traction control at 100 percent. I had dtc off. I found that even with dtc off BMW traction control just freaked when I applied anything but the slightest throttle. I then tried reducing boost control to 60 percent and things got much better. I finally switched to map 1 and got the best traction. In short - too much torque at a standstill / low rpms is too much of s good thing. Any suggestions on how to continue to fiddle to get better traction? I did try the procede traction control but i didn't like how the procede seemed to be fighting BMW traction control so i turned it off.

Second question - I find that when I change suspension settings (mostly adjusting rebound) the BMW traction control adapts it's power delivery and wheel braking to optimize traction to each wheel. I find that the car will really hunker down after s few days of driving / adaptation. I am finding that things aren't adapting as finely with the procede. Now that said, I've been fiddling about a lot with procede maps and settings. Does anyone know if the procede interferes with the stock traction adaptation?

As a side note. The helix turbos are awesome. I will do a full review soon. Also the procede has had great linear power delivery. I love the adjustability. Finally even with new turbos I still had waste gate rattle. The procede waste gate fix worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I had a lot of problem with traction until I got the proper tires...go for ultra high performance summer or extreme summer performance. The Advan AD08's are the stickiest street tires I have ever driven on. Once they get nice and warm you shouldnt have problems. If that doesnt help you should look at getting m3 rear subframe bushings and m3 chassis bits.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention. My suspension Is full m3 suspension with full m3 kw clubsports and rd sport sways I'm running non rft Yokohama advans.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcusick View Post
Forgot to mention. My suspension Is full m3 suspension with full m3 kw clubsports and rd sport sways I'm running non rft Yokohama advans.
nice setup! You just gotta milk it man...get on it and then ride her out.
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
FORCED AIR
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, Msport

Wait...your traction control is kicking in with it turned off? Are you hitting it once so that the DTC symbol lights on the dash or holding it down till the round arrow symbol comes on...traction control shouldn't be interfering at all if it is off.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Typo. I meant to say dsc off dtc on. Fing BMW naming conventions.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
FORCED AIR
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, Msport

hmmmm...what size tire advans are you on? We can fit a 10" wheel w/o rubbing in back, allows quite a wide tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Last step is to fit 255s / 275s font / rear. However my issue is more with fine tuning traction. I don't know how to explain it but my dinan tune and stock map definitely adapted more finely to traction to all four corners. Car felt completely balanced to all four corners. The procede seems less refined in balancing traction individually to each wheel. Again this could be because car has not fully adapted.

In short stock / ecu tune seems to better deliver power relative to grip and at the same time balance to all four wheels. I am just wondering if the procede is interfering / confusing traction control.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Last step is to fit 255s / 275s font / rear. However my issue is more with fine tuning traction. I don't know how to explain it but my dinan tune and stock map definitely adapted more finely to traction to all four corners. Car felt completely balanced to all four corners. The procede seems less refined in balancing traction individually to each wheel. Again this could be because car has not fully adapted.

In short stock / ecu tune seems to better deliver power relative to grip and at the same time balance to all four wheels. I am just wondering if the procede is interfering / confusing traction control.
sorry to go off topic, but would you mind telling me what rims and offsets you are running to get that meat on their? You have to be running a 9" in the front... 10 in back - right? make and offsets would be much appreciated.

It must be really pulling .... wow.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:

what procede firmware?

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm running stock 230's with yokohama advans.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Is this a stick or slushbox? When you did the LSD, what did you do for a final drive ratio?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Typo. I meant to say dsc off dtc on. Fing BMW naming conventions.
Turn them both off and add speed. If you are still spinning at 100Mph DTC and DSC both off, just congratulate yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

You're complaining about power lol. The only solution is to change the way you drive or to get really sticky tires
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
STONEY_M5
MAAD HEAD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M 2013 M5

Garage List
13 F10 M5  [0.00]
2010 X5M  [0.00]
07 335i  [9.26]
+100
      05-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After adjusting the boost gain I've fixed most of my off the line traction issues. Issues now are more with how the car self adjusts to traction on bumps and corners. Even st low rpms and speed the car doesn't seem to be adapting as fast or as well to optimize traction.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #17
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Quote:
Its hard to compare how well the stock ECU handles power delivery considering how much less power there is to deal with. I would say ditch the Yokohama's when they are wore out and get some Michelin PS/2's to get a little better grip. What firmware are you running on the Procede? You shouldn't rely on the factory traction control to try and handle the power output of the tune when you are going WOT (assuming that is when you are having problems with traction). You will have to adjust the throttle input based on gear/RPM. One thing you can try is shut DSC off completely, and set the Procede Traction control to 30%. See how that feels. I believe with the current firmware, traction control will fight the DME somewhat, so Shiv is working on a fix for it so choose one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
After adjusting the boost gain I've fixed most of my off the line traction issues. Issues now are more with how the car self adjusts to traction on bumps and corners. Even st low rpms and speed the car doesn't seem to be adapting as fast or as well to optimize traction.
Describe more what you mean by optimizing traction. Are you expecting to be able to go WOT into a turn and have the car do everything to get you through the turn? What exactly is it doing/not doing under X situation? On bumps where the DME detects wheelspin, it will likely close the throttle plate to regain traction. If you don't want that to happen, you have to shut off the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I notice issues mostly powering through corners but also going in a straight line over bumps. The traction to each wheel is being upset by the procede. I really noticed it today in the rain. Holding any corner while applying any throttle is impossible. The car seems to be settling a bit (as adaptations settle in) but still acting strangely.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I notice issues mostly powering through corners but also going in a straight line over bumps. The traction to each wheel is being upset by the procede. I really noticed it today in the rain. Holding any corner while applying any throttle is impossible. The car seems to be settling a bit (as adaptations settle in) but still acting strangely.
By powering through corners, are you talking about stomping the gas upon exiting, or are you easing into the throttle as you begin to exit? Are you saying you are spinning the tires/power sliding, or you're noticing the traction control pulling power? Is it the front end understeering? Where are you losing the traction (i.e. front, rear, both)? Have you tried completely shutting off DSC and seeing how the car runs then? When going in a straight line over bumps, are you getting wheel spin or is the traction control reducing power? Try and be as descriptive as possible. There are way to many variables in play here. Which Advans are you running? There are different models. It still sounds like you'll have to stay out of the throttle at times and ease into. Also, we are still trying to figure out what firmware you are running on the Procede? Can you do some datalogs (preferably once its dry again) so we can see how the car is reacting to the traction problems you are having?
Appreciate 0