E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > E92 335i European Delivery order cancelled - question

03-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
X-C
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

E92 335i European Delivery order cancelled - question

I ordered an E92 335i on February 23rd for early June delivery in Munich. At the time of the order, my CA told me that getting my preferred delivery date would not be a problem.

One month later (yesterday) he sent me an email stating that "BMW just sent an email informing dealers that with the production limits on the twin turbo, they are sold out for May and June delivery." He also stated that the earliest I could pick up the car would be sometime in August. This is too close to the 2008 model year switch-over for me, so I cancelled the order.

I would prefer to order the 2008 from the same dealership, but I am left with the nagging suspicion that my CA could have handled things better. I suspect that he was not terribly pro-active in placing my order with BMW. Am I justified in this, or is the delay between a customer placing an order and a production number being assigned typical?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
JoeS
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: '06 X3

European Delivery vehicles do not come out of the dealers allocation. The ED department has their own allocations. After you have come to terms with your dealer in regards to equipment, price, etc. the process is (usually) as follows:

1. The CA fills out a Pre Reservation form with all the details of the vehicle, customer name, Center name, CA name and Requested Delivery date. This is then faxed to the ED department. After 5 business days, the CA (or whomever is designated by the Center) will recieve an email comfirming all the above forementioned information AND the assigned delivery date along with the PRODUCTION number.

2. The car will then show up in the Center's DAR report after a few days. It's usually in 111 status which means that changes could still be made to the vehicle if the customer so wishes.

3. Sometime before production starts, a VIN is assigned to the vehicle. This will also show up in the DAR report. This usually happens 30 days prior to the delivery date. At this time the vehicle must be paid for and the signed Purchase Order must be submitted to the ED department (if it wasn't done before)

From what you have stated, it seems someone dropped the ball. I hope I am wrong.

With all my ED customers, I forward the email I get from the ED department to them so that they are in the loop.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
JoeS
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Brett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
European Delivery vehicles do not come out of the dealers allocation. The ED department has their own allocations.
True, but if ED runs out of allocations, the dealership can offer up one of their own. Ofcourse, only the coolest CA's such as Adrian or Irv do .

-Brett
      03-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-C View Post
I ordered an E92 335i on February 23rd for early June delivery in Munich. At the time of the order, my CA told me that getting my preferred delivery date would not be a problem.

One month later (yesterday) he sent me an email stating that "BMW just sent an email informing dealers that with the production limits on the twin turbo, they are sold out for May and June delivery." He also stated that the earliest I could pick up the car would be sometime in August. This is too close to the 2008 model year switch-over for me, so I cancelled the order.

I would prefer to order the 2008 from the same dealership, but I am left with the nagging suspicion that my CA could have handled things better. I suspect that he was not terribly pro-active in placing my order with BMW. Am I justified in this, or is the delay between a customer placing an order and a production number being assigned typical?
Sounds like someone buggered things up. I say call Irv and let him fix it. Better yet, pick Friday, October 19th as your delivery date for your '08 and we will pick up our cars together at the NEW BMW Welt delivery center. Have a little faith, maybe its for the better. June can be hot and Damn I love October in southern Germany and Italy. You can't go wrong. Call Irv...Call Irv...Call Irv....He will take good care of you.

Good luck whatever you decide. Bummer your CA blew it.
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0