E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Driving the Nurburgring on an ED

03-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Lost Cosmonaut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW 740iL E38 Alpinweiß

Driving the Nurburgring on an ED

So one of my major plans is to drive the Nurburgring when I do ED.

First question for those who've done it, I might be able to take delivery as soon as this November. Last time I was in Germany around then, the Nurburgring was closed and was covered in snow. The schedule on the website says they will be open on the weekends in November. Do they plow it off to let you drive it?

The other question is, I saw a blurb on the website about not allowing cars with "transfer or limited-time number plates" on the 'ring. Does this apply to our ED cars?

This is really a dream of mine. It'd suck if I couldn't drive the Nurburgring. It's scary enough they're talking about putting speed limits on the unlimited sections of the Autobahn!

- LC
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cosmonaut View Post
So one of my major plans is to drive the Nurburgring when I do ED.

First question for those who've done it, I might be able to take delivery as soon as this November. Last time I was in Germany around then, the Nurburgring was closed and was covered in snow. The schedule on the website says they will be open on the weekends in November. Do they plow it off to let you drive it?

The other question is, I saw a blurb on the website about not allowing cars with "transfer or limited-time number plates" on the 'ring. Does this apply to our ED cars?

This is really a dream of mine. It'd suck if I couldn't drive the Nurburgring. It's scary enough they're talking about putting speed limits on the unlimited sections of the Autobahn!

- LC
I would think that they do not plow the track. If the track is not safe, then they will just close it until it becomes safe.

As to the plates, our ED plates are not in either of the restricted classes. There are extensive discussions of this in the ED forum on bimmerfest.com.

I doubt that the autobahn will become speed restricted any time soon. The German chancellor is a bit of a rebel, and she doesn't want it; nor do many of the members of Germany's legislative body. I just don't see them caving in to the EU treehuggers, especially when the German environmental department said that imposing a speed limit on the autobahn would lower emissions by fractions of a percent.

-MrB
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Lost Cosmonaut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW 740iL E38 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
I would think that they do not plow the track. If the track is not safe, then they will just close it until it becomes safe.

As to the plates, our ED plates are not in either of the restricted classes. There are extensive discussions of this in the ED forum on bimmerfest.com.

I doubt that the autobahn will become speed restricted any time soon. The German chancellor is a bit of a rebel, and she doesn't want it; nor do many of the members of Germany's legislative body. I just don't see them caving in to the EU treehuggers, especially when the German environmental department said that imposing a speed limit on the autobahn would lower emissions by fractions of a percent.

-MrB
I'm trying to remember when we were there last, I think it was towards the end of November and there was quite a bit of snow up there. I'm hoping for early November if I can, but I'm still worried there will be snow

Just hope for the best, I guess, huh?

- LC
Appreciate 0