E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > paint protection films

10-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
paint protection films

Does anyone intend to protect their car with paint protection films? At the moment, I only know of three main paint protection film brands: Llumar, VentureShield, and 3M Scotchguard. Many companies use the 3M film to make their own kits, and then brand it under their company's name (which is rather misleading).

Anyway, Llumar makes great window tint, so I will try their paint protection film. I intend to get the front bumper, entire hood (bonnet), headlights, windshield, all side panels, and rear bumper covered with the film. The film + installation will cost at least $2000 (CAN). Do u think it's worth it?

I always drive on the highway, so protecting the front of the car would prevent ALL road debris (especially from trucks) from scratching the paint or cracking the windshield. I also always park in busy locations so I think protecting the side panels would prevent expected scratches from careless people flinging their car doors open. And the rear bumper? Well, where I live, some people have parking issues. Both rear bumpers on my two Subarus have been scraped due to people with no parking abilities.

Last edited by icedragon; 10-04-2005 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Hello...I got the VentureShield Clearbra on my car. I thought I was going to get the 3M film installed but the guy told me it was the VentureShield would suit my color better. I got the hood, side mirrors, front grille, fogs, and headlights done. It is pretty transparent but recently it has been hazing. Dunno why. $2000 sounds like a highly inflated figure. Did you shop around? I got all of the above-mentioned done for less than $700.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Damn dude, sounds like you're screwed no matter where you go. I have long considered the clear bra option but have yet to get one. I got the vinyl bra for my Passat which looked nice, but the vinyl bra for the E90 looks like a pretty girl with big thick black glasses on.. oh, and braces.

First off (keep in mind I've never had the clear film so I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about) I'm sure it can only protect so much. Door dings and the like are still going to happen. It might prevent the paint from chipping, which would be nice, but I'm sure it can't prevent dents. I've priced these systems and it seems like it would cost about $800 installed by a pro. I keep my cars about 2-3 years tops, so I could probably pay the same money to get the front repainted.

I've also started to modify my driving habits a little. I stay WAY back from trucks - or pass them quickly (especially those goddamned dump trucks that are everywhere). I stay further back from all traffic, because anyone can pick up a stone with their tire and fling it. Nicks are still going to occur, but allowing several car lengths in traffic does greatly help.

Good luck whatever you decide - I'd be interested to how you make out.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I was going to add the 3M clear bra option when I ordered my E90.
Until they told me its $1000usd installed.

You can get the same flim for $150 in ebay. Take it to local professional
bodyshop, they'll probably install it for you for $200~400 at the max.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
mreloc
Private
Rep
Drives: E93, past: E90, E46, E36, E30

I had the 3m film on my G35 a couple of years ago and I don't think I'm going to do it again when my E90 arrives. Couple of reasons...
Yeah, it protects the paint from chips, but the film gets battered and has to be removed (trickier than you would think) and reapplied.
Second, the film (around the edges) gets filthy and is sort of sticky so you end up having a thin outline of dirt around your clear bra. Somewhat cleanable with alchohol and a qtip...
YMMV
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
dmg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Can't you just buff out the clear bra and maintain it like the paint?

And using Zaino and other products like that diminish the need for cleaning out those edges.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #7
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I have had the 3M on some cars already and I was quite pleased with the result. Of course, make sure it is installed by someone that knows really well how to install them.

I have never had to remove it. My current E46 has 4 years and the 3M is still perfect looking.

Don't expect the 3M to protect against everything and anything though. Really good for chips in the front but in the back pretty useless if you ask me. As for the sides, like was mentioned above, it won't protect against door slammers ( ).

To compare price we have to use the same currency. I think you're from Cda right? In my case, it is 480$ Cdn for the upper front part including the mirrors. I think it's another 300 for the front buffer but not sure yet (receiving my car this wednesday).

You won't regret it, but be selective on the area you apply it to. Too much and your car is gonna look like it is wearing some sort of condom. Oups Sorry bad boy ! Shouldn't have said that. Am I kicked out now !!!

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
I was going to add the 3M clear bra option when I ordered my E90.
Until they told me its $1000usd installed.

You can get the same flim for $150 in ebay. Take it to local professional
bodyshop, they'll probably install it for you for $200~400 at the max.
lux is right on the money. Exactly what I did.
The extended coverage of the hood as well as the bumper kit will cost a bit more than $150, but my installer only charged $250 for the whole job!

The clear bra is just like anything else: If you don't take care of it, it will not be as nice as when you first got it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
bcaslis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i

So, how do you take care of a clear bra film? It would seem waxing isn't the right thing to do. What should you treat it with to take care of it (other than normal washing)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
lux is right on the money. Exactly what I did.
The extended coverage of the hood as well as the bumper kit will cost a bit more than $150, but my installer only charged $250 for the whole job!

The clear bra is just like anything else: If you don't take care of it, it will not be as nice as when you first got it.
      10-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis
So, how do you take care of a clear bra film? It would seem waxing isn't the right thing to do. What should you treat it with to take care of it (other than normal washing)?
For one thing you shouldn't use Armor-All or any plastic/vinyl cleaner on it because it will discolor the film. According to X-Pel, you should just wash and/or wax over it along with the rest of the car.

The guy who put my covering on works for Monster Coatings out of Garfield, NJ. He did mention something about special cleaners...ones that are similar to cleaning window tint but, I never heard of them before and neither did X-Pel.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
AznBeemer23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black Hamann E90

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I got the 3M Clear Bra on my car....
I thinks it worth the money.....
It cost me $550 total for the whole front, mirrors, headlight, foglights...
Got it done in El Monte, CA
2006 330i Automatic |Jet Black | Black Leather | Brushed Aluminum | Premium Package | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | 5% Tint | Hamann Kit | Tein SS-P Coilover | Forgeline VR3P 19x8.5 front 19x10 rear | Falken FK-451 235/35ZR19 Front 265/30ZR19 Rear | Rotora 6 Pistons Front 4 Pistons Rear Big Brake Kit | Fujita Air Intake

www.uucmotorwerks.com www.foxmarketing.net www.falkentire.com www.rotora.com www.f5air.com www.tein.com www.wheelpower.com
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #12
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Another vote for it being absolutly worth the money. Even more so if you have a dark color. My last black car looked like it was sandblasted all over the front clip after about a year. Mine cost me about $900 for the 3M and I had the entire front bumper, half way up the hood, front parts of the fenders, the door handle scoops, and the horizontal part where the trunk opening is. In fact I liked it so much I had my wifes car done a few days later. I can honestly say that since I keep my cars for at least a few years I will never have one without the film being applied to it.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 09:46 AM   #13
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep

Is the Venture Shield film cheap quality or something? It's only been a couple of weeks since I had it done and there seems to be some hazing of the film. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I was told not to cover the car for a month because of possible moisture getting trapped. I've only covered it a couple of times and I made sure the car was completely dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, already, the 3M I have has been on for going on three months now and there is not a flaw on it. It's still clear as when it was put on. Any quality film should have some sort of discoloring or hazing/fading gaurantee. I would go back to the place that you got it from and tell them your not satisfied with the product.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You should see how good it looks in a few years. That's when the front part of your car can now match the rest of the your car.(assuming you take care of the rest of your car)

My 2000 323Ci has practically no marks on the hood or bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #16
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Wilson
Wow, already, the 3M I have has been on for going on three months now and there is not a flaw on it. It's still clear as when it was put on. Any quality film should have some sort of discoloring or hazing/fading gaurantee. I would go back to the place that you got it from and tell them your not satisfied with the product.

Jesse
I was under the impression I was getting the 3M film installed. It wasn't until after I got it installed that he told me he used Venture film. His rationale was that the 3M was an older film and that the Venture would suit my color better. Now I feel duped. I don't know if it's the film that's causing the hazing or if it's because I'm not taking care of it properly. What do you use to clean it (besides Zaino)?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #17
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep

Well to be honest I think you might have been, becuase from what I have been told the 3M now uses a newer film that specificly doesn't yellow or fade and it also doesn't block the UV rays which cause the uneven fading of a cars finish.

As far as maintinence, I just wash a polish with zaino nothing that I don't do to the rest of the car.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #18
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's correct;;the new 3M film is 3rd generation.

As far as Venture is concerned, I was always kind of skeptical 'cause distributors were always trying to beat the price quote I was getting on the 3M film. Like they were trying too hard to get my business......
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #19
PristineAutowerks
Rep
Drives: 2 door hatch

[
The guy who put my covering on works for Monster Coatings out of Garfield, NJ. He did mention something about special cleaners...ones that are similar to cleaning window tint but, I never heard of them before and neither did X-Pel.[/QUOTE]

Laslo was your installer. He probably mentioned Plexus. It seals the film and actually makes the Bra stronger than being unprotected. They have done test to prove this. You may also Zaino it like you would your car.

Christopher
Pristine Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #20
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
i got a quote of $300 for a clear bra...!!!! in New Haven CT
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #21
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
That's correct;;the new 3M film is 3rd generation.

As far as Venture is concerned, I was always kind of skeptical 'cause distributors were always trying to beat the price quote I was getting on the 3M film. Like they were trying too hard to get my business......
I got the car detailed and the hazing seems to have disappeared. I guess it wasn't the Venture shield that was the problem - I think it was because of the weather and the fact that it hadn't been waxed. I read somewhere that they use Venture on race cars and stuff.
Appreciate 0