E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i & 135i mods compatibility

04-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
e93ro
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

335i & 135i mods compatibility

hi,

might buy a 135i as a track car and thinking to move all my mods and goodies from 335i to the mighty mouse, here is a list of them, any feedback about compatibility or not appreciated

piggy back - i know ok
down pipes - as far as i know ok
fmic - should be ok (?!)
meth kit - for sure ok
act street clutch - i think should be ok
LSD Quaife - 335i 03.2007 to 10.2007 135i, i dont think it will work !!!!
upgraded turbos - should be ok, anybody knows this for sure ?
p3 vent gauge - not ok
cdv - should be ok
exhaust - not ok
DCI intake - for sure ok
KW suspension - ??? dont know but think not compatible

As I read 135i comes standard with M sport package, both suspension and exterior, am I right ?
Procede V5, AMS FMIC, AR c-less DPs & Borla exhaust, DCI, CDV, STETT Charge Pipe+BOV, KW CoilOvers, CMGS Meth kit CM10, AR additional oil cooler, Quaife LSD, TD stage 1 turbo upgrade, RIX Gauge, ACT street clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93ro View Post
hi,

might buy a 135i as a track car and thinking to move all my mods and goodies from 335i to the mighty mouse, here is a list of them, any feedback about compatibility or not appreciated

piggy back - i know ok
down pipes - as far as i know ok
fmic - should be ok (?!)
meth kit - for sure ok
act street clutch - i think should be ok
LSD Quaife - 335i 03.2007 to 10.2007 135i, i dont think it will work !!!!
upgraded turbos - should be ok, anybody knows this for sure ?
p3 vent gauge - not ok
cdv - should be ok
exhaust - not ok
DCI intake - for sure ok
KW suspension - ??? dont know but think not compatible

As I read 135i comes standard with M sport package, both suspension and exterior, am I right ?
as someone who switched from a 135 to 335, I can help.

You're right on all accounts except for two things, the typical i downpipes will not fit an xi. I believe the front turbo on the 135i is different from the 335i as well, so if you go with upgraded turbos, you'll need to specify 135i or 335i application. CDV is identical on both cars.

Also, the stock charge pipe on the 135i is different from the 335i.
      04-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
e93ro
Private
Romania
Rep

thx for the info, actually one of my turbos is for LHD instead of RHD as an error from the provider, will have to do additional checking on that.
didnt know about the charge pipe, thanks !
dps are from 335i so will fit

searched before a little the formum, how have you found the switch form 1 to 3 ? anyhing I should consider ? I own a e93 335i and now considering the heaviest (sun has a price) and lightest setup

As seeing that AT already seems to reach its limits, going on MT route for this car as also future probable upgraded fueling system going to give us more and more hp, my opinion is that MT still offers higher scalability and fun for less costs even that might be a little slower for some applications.

Please confirm that M suspension is standard for 135i coupe otherwise have to consider budget for upgraded suspension.

Normally I would be happy , this is the target, if this car performance straight line will be somewhere like the GT-R or 911 turbo (997.1) stock and I really think it should be considering meth also
Procede V5, AMS FMIC, AR c-less DPs & Borla exhaust, DCI, CDV, STETT Charge Pipe+BOV, KW CoilOvers, CMGS Meth kit CM10, AR additional oil cooler, Quaife LSD, TD stage 1 turbo upgrade, RIX Gauge, ACT street clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
thx for the info, actually one of my turbos is for LHD instead of RHD as an error from the provider, will have to do additional checking on that.

searched before a little the formum, how have you found the switch form 1 to 3 ? anyhing I should consider ? I own a e93 335i and now considering the heaviest (sun has a price) and lightest setup

As seeing that AT already seems to reach its limits, going on MT route for this car as also future probable upgraded fueling system going to give us more and more hp, my opinion is that MT still offers higher scalability and fun for less costs even that might be a little slower for some applications.

Please confirm that M suspension is standard for 135i coupe otherwise have to consider budget for upgraded suspension.

Normally I would be happy , this is the target, if this car performance straight line will be somewhere like the GT-R or 911 turbo (997.1) stock and I really think it should be considering meth also
If you go balls out with 20psi boost on stock turbos, with race gas and large meth injector, it may be possible to equal a stock GT-R in trap speeds in the quarter mile.

In the US, the suspension is identical on the sport and m-sport packages for the 135i. The difference is the m-sport package has a different wheel package and upgraded interior bits.

In regards to tranny choice, it all depends on what you want. If you want full control, go for the manual. If you want the fastest acceleration go with the 6AT.
      04-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
e93ro
Private
Romania
Rep

Having already upgraded turbos, do you really felt 135i quicker than 335i ? I know stock to stock, 135i is a little bit faster 0-60, than seems 335i is catching up up-top maybe as 335i has a better Cx. I consider the 335i overall the better car, but the fastest is my choice, also as a 2nd argument I already own a e93.

There should be arround 70Kg or whatever that means in lbs difference btw 1 and 3 and if 335i has a better weight removal potential for race setup that might be a nice thing to know also, but I dont see how this difference might be possible.
Handling i consider somehow equal using a good suspension, so i will skip this.

I would go for AT but really afraid that will not be reliable for that amount of power and for sure there are more hp waiting to jump in for the next couple of years. I already see people with or without upgraded turbos complaining of AT and unfortunately I think there are a lot more to come from now on.

Not saying that MT is the perfect choice, damaged my stock clutch after 17000 miles, upgraded than to sachs performance, that one last like 2-2.5 K miles, now just installed act street, so far so good but still to early to say anything.

The fastest (AT) is my first option but reliability makes me considering MT.

Car is going to be used for very fast mountain roads , highway runs, drag and might be used also as a DD into the crowded city (not so pissed with MT), tracking maybe 1-2 times a year.

By the other hand, considering chargepipe, LSD and exhaust equals already some Gs,335i does not require that (only if AT will need another LSD) so 335i is the cheaper option as buying price is also lower than 135i, hmmmm......
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Doc GTO
Wicked Fast +1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5 50i MSport/02 M3 Track

Quote:

I've raced a 135i with JB4, CAI, downpipe, exhaust, and meth. His last dyno without meth showed 410rwhp so I'm sure with meth he was about 420-430. We race from a 20 and 40 roll and both times I pulled him once I got into the top of 2nd/bottom of 3rd and up.

My TT is bone stock. I was very surprised that he did that well. He had the auto (I was corrected) so no boost drop off as I was shifting away.

Pretty stout, non the less!

Last edited by Doc GTO; 12-06-2011 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

dct slips at those levels no?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc GTO View Post
I've raced a 135i with JB4, CAI, downpipe, exhaust, and meth. His last dyno without meth showed 410rwhp so I'm sure with meth he was about 420-430. We race from a 20 and 40 roll and both times I pulled him once I got into the top of 2nd/bottom of 3rd and up.

My TT is bone stock. I was very surprised that he did that well. He had the DCT (?) so no boost drop off as I was shifting away.

Pretty stout, non the less!
If he has a DCT 135i he doesn't have an N54 and is nowhere near 410whp. If he has a regular automatic 135i sure those numbers are easily believable!
      12-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Doc GTO
Wicked Fast +1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5 50i MSport/02 M3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
If he has a DCT 135i he doesn't have an N54 and is nowhere near 410whp. If he has a regular automatic 135i sure those numbers are easily believable!
N54 and Auto. It's an 08. I'm not up to date on the BMW lingo on the tranny choices. The DCT replaced the SMG, correct?

I guess BMW's DCT has the same issues and the Porsche PDK. The PDK is limited to 550 horse. The clutches cannot take more power and the unit is not serviceable . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
e93ro
Private
Romania
Rep

Just got a 996 turbo S meantime and going on some high hp route, another kind of an animal. Still enjoying my open sky n54

Thanks anyway guys
Appreciate 0