E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > HELP: Speeding ticket Roswell, GA, Best course of action?

04-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

HELP: Speeding ticket Roswell, GA, Best course of action?

Hey Georgians,
Just got a speeding ticket on 92 in Roswell yesterday and I was curious about the best course of action? 60 in a 40

Cop tailed me for 2.5 (5 mins) miles and when I signaled/switched lanes he lit up and pulled me over. Claims to have me on laser (but I am confused as to why he followed me through 2 traffic light stops.

Anyway, anyone have suggestions on how I should proceed. Where I am from you show up on the court date, make a plea and trade points for dollars and a reduced citation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

PS just ordered a laser interceptor & V1
      04-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
They watch that area pretty hard. I work at the new SuperTarget near Horseshoe Bend and see cops at least half the time that I leave the office.

I never have time to go to court. I'm sure if you do you can just swear you weren't going that fast and get the speed and fine dropped. Mention also that it's known that BMW miscalibrates our speedos by around 10%.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
bugmcw
jerk of all trades
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Yeah Holcomb Bridge is brutal, i work at Holcomb and Barnwell, cops are all over the place. Makes coming to work a little less fun-
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
BeamerDr3am3r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Black 335i Coupe

My advice, go to driving school before your court date as a precautionary. Being proactive about the situation may convince the judge to drop or reduce. If you're really worried about it, get a lawyer that specializes in traffic violations. May be costly in the short term, but it could prevent your insurance rates from increasing, if that's your main concern.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Roswell is the worst area to drive in... I hate going up there, they love to give tickets. I would suggest getting a lawyer. As said above, although it may cost extra money, it would be to your benefit later.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
bugmcw
jerk of all trades
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON1X View Post
Roswell is the worst area to drive in... I hate going up there, they love to give tickets. I would suggest getting a lawyer. As said above, although it may cost extra money, it would be to your benefit later.
^says a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep

Can anyone recommend a quality traffic attorney who deals predominantly with the Roswell traffic court system?
      04-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
AKI335I
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

if its your first offense and he marked you down as 60 in a 40 that isnt too bad. judge might be lenient and drop you down to a moving violation. you can take that driving class as well before going to court. i did 90 in a 55 but cop put me down as 75 in 55. judge dropped it to a moving violation and had to pay $275 +2 pts. no rise in insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Rudeja
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalinkartist View Post
Hey Georgians,
Just got a speeding ticket on 92 in Roswell yesterday and I was curious about the best course of action? 60 in a 40

Cop tailed me for 2.5 (5 mins) miles and when I signaled/switched lanes he lit up and pulled me over. Claims to have me on laser (but I am confused as to why he followed me through 2 traffic light stops.

Anyway, anyone have suggestions on how I should proceed. Where I am from you show up on the court date, make a plea and trade points for dollars and a reduced citation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

PS just ordered a laser interceptor & V1
Man I am sorry to hear about your ticket, I live and work in Roswell and these cops are very strick, they will pull you over and any minor traffic issue. I have only got pulled over once and thats only because the cop could not see my temporary tag that was taped on my inside windows, he was cool, just check it and let me go. Anyone visiting Roswell should always obay the traffic laws of else you will see those flashing blue lights
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON1X View Post
Good advice, Do you know of any.

UPDATE: I just drove through the same route this evening. The officer quoted the wrong speed limit on my ticket. All signs say 45 mpg and the officer quoted me at 60 in a 40. What are my odds of getting this thrown out?

I am hoping this was a serious stroke of luck for me and everyone else who received a ticket that evening.
I am heading out in the morning to document the signs with pictures and gps coordinates.
      04-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
That is much better for you. However, I looked at the speeding laws and you are still in the category for 14-19mph over the limit. Nonetheless, it is better than 20mph over. It will definitely help to have pictures taken where the PO clocked you and where you were actually pulled over to be given the ticket. I don't know of any lawyers in the Roswell area, but just doing some googling would give you some names. I doubt it would cost very much, but because of the discrepancy on the ticket, and how it puts you in category lower than the 20mph-over category on the ticket, you should have enough to at least enable an attorney to negotiate on your behalf to get it lowered (perhaps to 12/13mph over).

Good luck man. I can't say it enough, but I hate driving in Roswell!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Georgia has a speed trap law that applies to all police agencies except State Patrol.

Some of the regulations regarding Speed Measuring Device (SMD) use include:

(1) cannot issue tickets for less than 10 mph over posted speed limit

(2) cannot use SMD on downhill road with more than a 7% downgrade

(3) cannot use SMD closer than 500 feet inside a changed speed limit zone

(4) police vehicle using SMD must be seen by all approaching vehicles at least 500 feet or more, and

(5) any municipality using SMD must have warning signs on major road at city or county limits stating so.

I don't know the specifics of Georgia but often they drop speed limits by more than 10mph, which I believe is also illegal. I see it all the time around Atlanta where a 45 drops to a 30, you have to post speed limit decreases in increments of no more than 10mph. I have looked but cannot find irrefutable evidence of this.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Georgia has a speed trap law that applies to all police agencies except State Patrol.

Some of the regulations regarding Speed Measuring Device (SMD) use include:

(1) cannot issue tickets for less than 10 mph over posted speed limit

(2) cannot use SMD on downhill road with more than a 7% downgrade

(3) cannot use SMD closer than 500 feet inside a changed speed limit zone

(4) police vehicle using SMD must be seen by all approaching vehicles at least 500 feet or more, and

(5) any municipality using SMD must have warning signs on major road at city or county limits stating so.

I don't know the specifics of Georgia but often they drop speed limits by more than 10mph, which I believe is also illegal. I see it all the time around Atlanta where a 45 drops to a 30, you have to post speed limit decreases in increments of no more than 10mph. I have looked but cannot find irrefutable evidence of this.
Good stuff....
Thx