E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Let's discuss N54 Oil Pump and related starvation issues when tracking..

03-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Let's discuss N54 Oil Pump and related starvation issues when tracking..

There has been some talk lately about oil starvation, particularly on road courses. One N54 has recently come forward with a failed turbo after oil starvation presumably from a long sweeping corner (not sure which direction). I'm at the road course nearly every other weekend in the summer months, but luckily have had zero issues with this. This does worry me greatly though, as there are a few long sweeping turns at BIR and of course the carousel at Road America.

So let's figure out what can be done to prevent such issues from arising for those of us who see the road course reguarly. Beyond a completely re-done dry sump system, there has been some interest in a baffled oil pan. That would help to keep oil from getting sloshed around to the [wrong] side during a wide sweeping corner, but I'm skeptical that would 100% solve the issue without creating another. Perhaps a different design of oil pan that has a larger collection pocket near the pump pickup side.?

Has anybody dissected the bottom end of the N54 that could speak to the oil pickup, flows and venturis? It would really help if we could see some pics of the oil pan and underneath side of the block and pickup. I thought there would be some in the E92Fan's rebuild thread, but it was removed for some reason...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
sumyungguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 6MT

Install an oil pressure gauge that you can easily keep an eye on out at the track. If you get out to the track often you will find out sooner than later, no use in stressing over something you can easily monitor out there.