E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Porter Cable car polisher?

09-23-2005, 01:06 AM   #1
chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 330i

Porter Cable car polisher?

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to invest in a Porter Cable orbital car polisher. I've heard from a couple of neighbors that it was pretty good. Any thoughts? Worth the money? Which model?

Oh any tips with black cars? This is my first and let me say...IT IS ROUGH!! :mad:

Thanks for the feedback!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
lxapilot118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i + SC Mustang

I'm curious too..I've heard both good and bad. I had an off-brand orbital polisher, and it was hard as anything to use...had to really bear down on it.
      09-24-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep

c'mon anyone??
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

I've used one. Its a nicely made unit with variable speed control. A wee bit heavy, and I needed to use two ands and learn to maneuver with the power cord. When used correctly with the right pads, it gives good results, however I don't think it does a superior job than waxing or polishing by hand.( Though that may be a function of operator skill.) The P-C is ok for larger areas, but suspect you'll still need to do hand work for the E90's lower front bumper, around the side mirrors, and such.

Although I have one, I do my 330 by hand. Not so much cuz I fear screwing up the paint w/ the P-C, just that the effort by hand is more relaxing for me than working with a power tool and I find I'm more aware of the condition of the finish.

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
nick0
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

I have a PC, and I can tell you that it is extremely easy to use. As tima said, the results largely depend on the skill of ths user. Don't get the wrong impression though, it's relatively easy to use, there're just a few skills that you should learn. The good thing is that the PC is very user friendly, and it would require a tremendous amount of work for you to actually destroy your car's paint with it.

I use the PC mainly for paint cleansing or polishing, as those things require the most aggressive force. As for waxing, I prefer to do that by hand because I find that doing it with a PC is much harder.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

I bought one about a week ago and pecticed on our 1995 Grand Cherokee. It was easy to use and the results were incredible. It's great to remove superficial scratches andleaves the finish very smooth when used with a polish. I used Mother;s Power Polish and a Meguiars polishing pad. I have not tried it on my E90 yet because it does not need it so far (TiAg). I would also recommend that wax be done by hand like nickO said.
You can find tons of info in the forum at autopia.org.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Porter Cable 7424 is a great thing. I would definently recommend it. Ive had mine for about 4 months now. Find yourself some good pads online and some good polishes. I use Propel Pads I would recommed one of each grey, blue, green, yellow, orange.There are many other brand like Lake Country Sonus etc that people love. Poorboys Polishes are mostly what I use. I would purchase the Poorboys Supper Swirl Remover 1, 2, 2.5.

What detailing products do you use? The PC can be used to apply many of them.

Do you have another car you can play on first? Any friends or family with a beater?? Personally i would not have my first go at a PC on a black car.
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0
I have a PC, and I can tell you that it is extremely easy to use. As tima said, the results largely depend on the skill of ths user. Don't get the wrong impression though, it's relatively easy to use, there're just a few skills that you should learn. The good thing is that the PC is very user friendly, and it would require a tremendous amount of work for you to actually destroy your car's paint with it.

I use the PC mainly for paint cleansing or polishing, as those things require the most aggressive force. As for waxing, I prefer to do that by hand because I find that doing it with a PC is much harder.
ditto
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #9
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

What Nick said...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 07:50 AM   #10
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

I have had one for approx. 3-4 years and in that time I have used it quite a bit. It is worth is weight in gold!

A good place to order from (price).

Porter Cable 7424 @ Coastal Tool

BTW, they are now including the 6" Hook & Loop Contour Pad #18002 and the 6" Counterweight. You do want this!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks fellas....I do have a silver car to practice on first. I am using Zaino detailing products, so I will probably be using Z5 as the polisher. I was primarily going to use the P-C to buff out swirls and what not.

The other day I was dropping off some packages at FedEx and my colleague put a heavy box on my trunk and kind of "pulled/dragged/slid" it off when picking it up and it left HORRIBLE scratches on the trunk. I tried polishing/buffing it with hand but I haven't been sucessfull.

I am assuming that the P-C will have a better go at this in comparison to me using my hand? Thanks for the replies! i appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

z5 is not a polish. If you want to stay in the zaino family use ZPC. Otherwise look into the poorboys ssr line, optimum, or menzerna. You will probably need heavier polish to start and then a light polish to finish up. ZPC could be a one step fix for you. It all depends on pad and product combo you use and the condition of you paint. Make sure you get some pads from a good brand. You will most likely want 3 pads one finish, polish and cutting. There are multiple levels of each depending on brand.

You cant compare what you can do with a PC to hand. Hand polishing can only do so much, and will take a very long time. Dont even attempt to remove swirls by hand, it wont happen.

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0