E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > iMac - Twonky Server - Sony Bravia TV Question.

01-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

iMac - Twonky Server - Sony Bravia TV Question.

Anyone else using the above succesfully?

I have got a Sony EX703 TV with Sony's (stupidly pricey) dongle and connects wirelessly through my broadband router so I can get iplayer, youtube and other services on my telly. I recently got an iMac and have looked into streaming stuff from the Mac to the telly. After researching it seemed that the Twonky Server was good so I have downloaded the free trial and had a play with it yesterday. So far I have managed to view my photo's stored on the mac on the TV but I cannot get the music to work. We use itunes to download and import music. However when I try and play it on the telly I can see the file but when I select it, it says it is empty?? I have not tried movies yet as I have not got any on the mac.

Any ideas? Any betterway of achieving the same result without buying another box to go under the TV? To be honest I'm surprised I managed to get this far with it!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySTee View Post
Anyone else using the above succesfully?

I have got a Sony EX703 TV with Sony's (stupidly pricey) dongle and connects wirelessly through my broadband router so I can get iplayer, youtube and other services on my telly. I recently got an iMac and have looked into streaming stuff from the Mac to the telly. After researching it seemed that the Twonky Server was good so I have downloaded the free trial and had a play with it yesterday. So far I have managed to view my photo's stored on the mac on the TV but I cannot get the music to work. We use itunes to download and import music. However when I try and play it on the telly I can see the file but when I select it, it says it is empty?? I have not tried movies yet as I have not got any on the mac.

Any ideas? Any betterway of achieving the same result without buying another box to go under the TV? To be honest I'm surprised I managed to get this far with it!!
Get an apple tv box. Will stream all content from the mac perfectly it will work without but not very well, and certainly not very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

I have exactly the same TV, and also use Mac! I've never tried to stream to it, as we use Apple TV's around the house.

What format is your music in? I would suggest converting it to MP3 and then trying as the Bravia may not recognise the AAC format!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I guess apple TV would be simpler and would probably be a lot better. However I would like to get it working as it is just because the TV is supposed to be able to do it on its own! Although reading other info on the net it seems people are struggling especially with videos.

CHG - I think you are right that the tv will only play mp3, itunes stores music as mp4. I believe from googling last night you can get itunes to download as mp3 and also convert existing music if you change the settings....

I'm also thinking that the bravia tv will only play individual songs and you would have to keep moving it on to the next which would be a bit crap! I will convert some of the music to mp3 and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Got itunes to convert some of the files to mp3 last night and now tv will play them. However the interface is a bit shit it would mean having all music on my computer twice. Wishing I had thought about the Apple TV earlier as it is only £40 more than the stupidly priced sony dongle!!
Appreciate 0