2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum starting after long period of sitting

01-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

starting after long period of sitting

Hello all,

So, through two situations, street repairs and lots of snow, my 550 has been sitting in the garage since late October, untouched. The snow is melting, the streets are about done, and I have an appointment at the dealer to finish fixing my pull to the left on January 17th.

So, its been sitting in an unheated garage for about 3 months, should I be concered about starting it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the pull, I dont know anyone who has had this repair done in Germany but its my 3rd appointment, this time they are requesting the car for 2-3 days, so we will see. I will say when I brough it in it was a slight pull then after the repair from the 2nd visit it was a hard pull. Shortly after that appointment the car went into lockdown and cancelled my 3rd appointment.
      01-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
You need to send it up here so I can testdrive it for you, then I can tell if it will work or not

Just start it and drive it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Delvek,

You should be ok to start it. Just be aware that if you engaged your Parking Brake during this time, the rear pads might be "frozen" to the brake discs. It might take an extra bit of push on the gas to get the car moving to break this bond. Once you start, drive the car and get the temp up so you can get rid of any moisture that has accumulated in the engine. One other thing you might notice is that the tires might have taken a set, having not moved for that time. However, that should dissipate once you get them warmed up as well. (I'm not sure if this really happens anymore on modern tires, and especially on Runflats which have a thicker sidewall by design.)

You should be good to go and will once again enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Thanks, in some ways the question I had is pretty retarded, I was waiting for someone to say push the ignition on go (thanks kave)! At the same time, I never let a car sit in one place before for 3 months and I appreciate your "heads up" on the potential problems ghueser.

Trust me, I am ready to enjoy it again, will be a long 3 months, still have February and March'ish til its starts to warm some.