BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

12-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Does anybody know how to remove the 'speaker grille' in the dash?

I'm talking about the plastic cover that has like a speaker grille in the middle, and vents on each side of the grille. That damn thing rattles like crazy most of the time, and it's driving me nuts. Car has many other rattles and creaks, especially when cold, but they mostly disappear after car warms up, and only appear on rough roads. That damn speaker cover rattles ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I thought noise was coming from the roof area, until I accidentally found that to be that damn grille (accoustics).

Any tips on prying technique, and where clips are would be appreciated. And pics would be even better . Don't want to break that flimsy POS. Need to line that thing to prevent the creaks. Thanks gang.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I've done this. You need a plastic crow-bar thingy. The key is to push down on the dash, not the panel, (the dash flexes more than the panel) to get the tool underneath the panel. It'll pop out. It does seem flimsy so be careful.

I did this to fit a mount. My panel doesn't rattle, but I don't have a speaker in the center either. Good luck.

Cheers.
      12-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I've done this. You need a plastic crow-bar thingy. The key is to push down on the dash, not the panel, (the dash flexes more than the panel) to get the tool underneath the panel. It'll pop out. It does seem flimsy so be careful.
Thanks a bunch buddy . Will try this today and report back my findings. Happy new year.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i use a credit card
just slide it in and use it to push the grill up
it does rattle
i've tried a few things but it still rattles
at first i thought i was using too low a crossover point for my center speaker
then i tried without the cover and no rattle
i tried using foam etc
no go
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Didn't you add a speaker there? Was it not rattling before and rattles now?

Cheers.
      01-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
DAK
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Yep I have a rattle here also.

As others have suggested, to remove the grill place downward pressure on the edge of the dash that meets the grill then leverage the grill out. The center of the grill sticks more than the sides, its best to start at the side then work your way toward the center.

Regarding the rattle, I have two rattles in this part of the dash, I fixed the first by placing foam between the grill panel and the mounting point however the second rattle is coming from the speak mount (under the grill). I will be trying to remove this in the coming days and packing it with foam if possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I fixed my rattle by putting foam in between the grill and the speaker holder
That's where the noise comes from
Take them both out
Put foam in between, snap them together, if there is any movement , it will rattle
You want to eliminate all movement, so when you try to push the grill up and down, it doesn't move
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep

I put masking tape on the tabs, and when pushed down no creaking or rattling at all anymore. And before doing that touched everything in there and no rattles/creaks. BUT still have freaking rattles coming from somewhere in the stupid dash . Thought it was from the mirror area, but it's just telegraphing thru the windshield. Man, this is the worst car by far with rattles, creaks and crap. And also the most expensive I've bought to date... and probably ever.

I'm pretty sure it's from behind the instruments and/or iDrive screen. Will tackle both one of these days. Later gang.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
DAK
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Man, this is the worst car by far with rattles, creaks and crap. And also the most expensive I've bought to date... and probably ever.

I'm pretty sure it's from behind the instruments and/or iDrive screen. Will tackle both one of these days. Later gang.
I can relate to this !!! I had an EVO IX Lancer which was crucified in reviews for rattles and interior build quality and its soooo much better than the M3 when it comes to rattles.

Update, I have taken the grill off and placed foam (sticky on side) onto the back of the grill which both muffles any contact with other surfaces and also creates tension between the grill and the speaker mount. This reduce one noise however as others have mentioned, another rattle remained.

I have this morning removed the grill and with a Torx 20 removed the mount it connects to which the speaker sits in also (the opening was completely exposed and I could see down the back of the dash). I have not only kept the foam on the grill but now also stuck it to the underside of the speaker mount, focusing heavily on those areas in contact with the dash. When I took both items off the dash I saw two wires floating (one for the speaker and the other for the iDrive screen in the center console, I have stuck these down with tape as I suspect it is these that we can hear rattling. while the Speaker mount is held on with the four torx screws it also has a clip at the bottom of it (when removing undo the screws then tip the mount toward the windscreen , the clip will undo on its own) I have placed the sticky foam on this clip too.

I have just taken the car for a drive and it seems the rattle is gone (that one anyway). I have another on the passengers side (drivers side in the states, I'm in Australia), I will attempt this one in the coming weeks.

CAUTION, MY ROOKIE ERROR - Once you remove the grill the two openings for the air-conditioning are exposed. As you know there is very little room between the windscreen and the dash, in my fumbling around trying to fit the Torx head into one of the screws I dropped it down the right side AC hole !!!! It made a clunk noise then continued to hit items in the AC piping all the way down !!!!, I had absolutely no chance getting I out so took the car for a drive to see if it was going to be yet another rattle. It was SOOOO LOUD it was just unbearable. I went to Bunnings (Hardware chain) and bought a magnetic tool on a flexible stick. Luckily after 10 mins of "fishing" I got it back out. (alternate method here would be to tape a smaller hose onto your vacuum and try feed it down the suck it out, that was my next idea).

The moral of the story..... As soon as you remove the grill place something over the top of the exposed holes (I placed a towel in them the second time around). If you think your current rattles are bad, trust me, you haven't heard anything until you send a 5cm round piece of steel into what can only be referred to as the Dagobah System....

All up this took an hour (excluding the fishing expedition). I hope it stays quite !

Dylan
Appreciate 0