E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Messin Around with Nozzles...

11-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Messin Around with Nozzles...

So... I was taking apart my CM nozzle #5 to make sure there was nothing clogging it still. I had put it in my ER pipe and was getting shit for timing with it and I was really surprised. I though for sure I would max out map 7 with a cm 5 spraying 100% at like 11psi. New Pipe, higher boost means more prominent boost activation for my controller.....timing was crap... hence the timing thread on n54. Yeah i am experimenting with nozzles since I got a pipe with a bung. I expect it to work better than my own tapped charge pipe with a DO Adapter. Turns out that thing is magic... I am getting closer now but turns out, I think I had some bad meth.... a damn 5 gallon drum of it.

Mike your gonna hate this... a few bottles of heet later... bam back on track.

any whoooo in my CM nozzle and see that my DO nozzle has threads in it too for the filter......hmmmm the super atomizer fits right in the DO nozzle and sets in place well. Haven't had a chance to watch it spray but it cant be much different but who knows?? I have a CM 10 on the way and CMGS flow sensor.... the works. Not because my other kit wasn't doing well, but it did lack a failsafe and to integrate one meant questionable compatibility and I didn 't want to risk it... not with JB4 coming.

When I get the DO nozzle out that I am trying now, I will pop the Cm 10 inners in that devil and see what happens. I read somewhere that the internals on the CM nozzles were individualized not sure the CM5 I have would spray through there as well as the CM10???. THE FILTER DOES NOT FIT IN THE DO NOZZLE. If you run one this way simply because I mentioned it, you must have an inline filter.

The reason for mentioning something this chaotic is so that anyone running a DO adapter, that can't use a CM nozzle can buy one, open it, and use it in a DO threaded adapter. I recently had a great experience with timing, contrary to what I was told, with that adapter and so if there is a possibility that the droplets can be made smaller with the CM internal that someone could have the best of both worlds... I have old CM nozzles that I bet they would fit.

Probably sprays like crap!!!!!
      11-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

WOW
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

aw he's so cute sometimes. reminds me of a pig in a dress.
      11-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
WTF????
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
open a CM nozzle, take out super atomizer.... it screws into DO nozzle... now you have super atomizing DO nozzle...

sorry if you don't like it...
      11-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ever see the video of the spray pattern of DO and CM nozzle? Notice how they are both great nozzles but DO projects forward and then makes a cloud, but CM begins to cloud up right away? It has been argued that the DO nozzle is great for a bung or adapter that has the face of the nozzle recessed from the ID of your charge pipe, and the CM nozzle is better if you have the face of your nozzle in the ID of your charge pipe. I am curious if the internals are responsible for the trajectory of the methanol or if the body of the nozzle projects the methanol forward. Then I was curious if the internals are only responsible for the smaller droplett size. The idea was to have a nozzle project like a DO nozzle an inch or so before expanding into a cloud, and have the cloud be thick like the CM nozzle with smaller droplets. Also the new CM nozzles are twice as long as a DO nozzle on the injector end, this makes it nearly impossible to get the face of the DO nozzle in any charge pipe and makes it easier for someone to get the CM nozzle face into the ID of the pipe even though it does not reach the ID of the ER charge pipe ( just bought one).

So knowing I cant get any nozzle's face into the ID of the ER charge pipe, I began to work on a set up that would atomize like a CM nozzle and project into the pipe like a DO nozzle. I wasn't trying to make work or make the parts work together for no reason, I have a goal of acheiving the optimal spray pattern for the ER charge pipe.

I asked ER who's nozzle they used during development and I am not sure they really put a whole lot of merrit into their bung design. In their defense, my DO/Labonte M10 nozzle is showing higher timing in their pipe than it did in the DO adapter and those readings were optimal to start. I am getting steady curves ramping up to 14 with a #10 nozzle in the pipe, with the adapter they were ramping up to around 13 degrees of timing so an improvement shown on the same nozzle but this could be due to mixture variations as well. This is a good sign as I am running a 90/10 now while I am experimenting with the new pipe on map 8 but I will have to taper the mixture to 70/30 for my new CmGS flow sensor thats on the way. At 14 degrees of timing on map 8 I will have some space to lean out the mixture some so thats good. Last run of 3rd and 4th gear starts at around 8 degrees and ramps to 14 smooth and steady. I should be able to lower the max psi setting and flatten it out a bit from 11-14 and then water it down bringing the whole graph down from 14 to 10 degrees of timing. This is with the DO nozzle. I am switching to the CM10 when the kit comes as well.

For kicks......I will put the super atomizer in DO nozzle to see if it sprays any differently.....before it goes in the car/pipe...
      12-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
super atomizer fitting works in both nozzles DO and CM (old). Anyone that is using the DO or Labonte Adapter can pick up a nozzle from CM and take the screw fitting out and put it in their nozzle. I have the CM nozzle all back together and the car is responding a tad better with the CM 10 than the DO/Labonte 10. CM 10 is a bit shorter than the CM 7/5. For folks insisting on having the face of the nozzle in the ID of your charge pipe, you can email Dave at CM and he will put the internals of a CM10 in the body of a CM7. The orifice is the same size! I was going to do that but I figure that the boost wizzing by will pull the cloud of mist into the charge area just fine. ( at least I hope it will) Timing is almost identical with the CM10 as the DO 10, but the car seems to accelerate faster with the CM nozzle.