E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede v4 - Boosting close to 20psi

11-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
butters1234
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Procede v4 - Boosting close to 20psi

I have a procede and dci only. Last night, I was tring to record a sound that I have been getting while under high boost and rpm (whole other issue I have had for 2 years running several tunes) and during one of my WOTs the boost gauge jumped to near 20psi. Was that my turbos actually boosting that high, or just the gauge being off?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
in between shifts... jb3 bumps up that high as a product of the throttle gain. Its designed to help hold boost when shifting. When I run 15psi, I see spikes up to 18.5. When I run 18 psi I see spikes up to 20.5 and if the spike is sustained JB3 shuts down to map 0. I assume that Procede works similarly. The 20 spike is not uncommon.

Good luck with your noise, is it a whistling, whineing noise?
      11-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
butters1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
in between shifts... jb3 bumps up that high as a product of the throttle gain. Its designed to help hold boost when shifting. When I run 15psi, I see spikes up to 18.5. When I run 18 psi I see spikes up to 20.5 and if the spike is sustained JB3 shuts down to map 0. I assume that Procede works similarly. The 20 spike is not uncommon.

It was not during a shift, it was during a 3rd gear pull at high load and rpms.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters1234 View Post
It was not during a shift, it was during a 3rd gear pull at high load and rpms.
It's unlikely to be a real overboost as the procede would trigger a valet fault and flash the SES light repeatedly. I'd datalog a run to confirm that it's your gauge reading incorrectly.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
butters1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
Its an odd sound that changes from pull to pull. Usually it occurs at high boost and rpms and has occured on three different tunes. Its hard to describe. It sounds like forced air from the intake and sometimes a slight vibration down the powertrain. Many of my friends dont even notice it, so its slight, but it something I know can't be normal.

Its an ongoing issue that I need to run logs before I bother bringing it up here as most cant help unless they hear it. And after doing 15 or so pulls last night and recording them and watching them on my computer, even I cant hear the difference from the recordings, so useless to bring up.

I have found a couple threads on this over the last 2 years, none with a solid solution, all guesses from intake induction, lpfp, and detonation. All just guesses as they never were resolved.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
butters1234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's unlikely to be a real overboost as the procede would trigger a valet fault and flash the SES light repeatedly. I'd datalog a run to confirm that it's your gauge reading incorrectly.

Shiv
Good to know. I currently can't run logs as my only laptop is my work one, and it encrypts anything I plug into it, so I need to figure something else out to run some logs.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Calvin@Vishnu
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters1234 View Post
Its an odd sound that changes from pull to pull. Usually it occurs at high boost and rpms and has occured on three different tunes. Its hard to describe. It sounds like forced air from the intake and sometimes a slight vibration down the powertrain. Many of my friends dont even notice it, so its slight, but it something I know can't be normal.

Its an ongoing issue that I need to run logs before I bother bringing it up here as most cant help unless they hear it. And after doing 15 or so pulls last night and recording them and watching them on my computer, even I cant hear the difference from the recordings, so useless to bring up.

I have found a couple threads on this over the last 2 years, none with a solid solution, all guesses from intake induction, lpfp, and detonation. All just guesses as they never were resolved.
If you can capture the issue, perceived or not, in a datalog, we could see what is going on. Nothing like peace of mind when it comes to an expensive engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Choolgooz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Could your boost guage calibration be off? I remember the guage used to show super high bost even over 20 for me, but datalogging showed about half. I had to hold DTC/+hazard lights ( something to that effect) to switch the modes.