BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Mirror cap replacement

I have not been able to find one clear/definitive guide to removing and reinstalling our mirror caps (E92 to be specific but E90/93 is probably identical). There are a bunch of very small tabs that are really easy to break. Sure would appreciate a good DIY for both removing and installing. Thanks.

Note: Added a detailed DIY and removed "DIY request" from post title
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 11-24-2010 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Very simple, just did mine last week. Get a set of interior removal tools ($10-15 from local auto parts store), get under the lip on the bottom and work around the edge and pull it off. The clips look fragile, but all of mine held up and I just pulled them off. Took less than 5 minutes for both sides. For teh new ones, line up the tabs and push them in (evenly).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I spent more time looking at the attachment method and all of the potentially fragile tabs in the design when swapping in my new CF caps. I can now add to the above comments.

Now you can just pry and pry and pop the caps off as described above without messing with all of this. This approach is just a slightly safer and gentler approach.
  1. The only tabs that are fragile are the really small ones around the perimeter of the caps. Both my OEM caps that have been removed are replaced twice as well as the used CF caps I recently bought had multiple of these tabs broken. Not a big deal at all to break one or two but you can keep them all from breaking. These tabs keep the edges of the caps tightly snug in a radial direction (say toward the center of the mirror). To not break these keep any pulling/prying toward the front of the car only for removal and toward the back of the car for installation. Never try to pry in such a way as to lift the cap off the mirror body.
  2. Heat helps. The installation will be easier and less likely to break any tabs if the temperature is really warm. A hair dryer in a cold climate or cold environment will help. This is probably only when really cold or for the very paranoid.
  3. Take off the mirror glass. It will help removal and installation. Just move the mirror glass by hand (you can force it even with all power off without breaking anything - the motors are just forced to move). Move it all the way to one side (really more like into one corner) then use your fingers or a piece of soft plastic (auto trim tool) to get behind the glass and pry it off. It will pop off completely once you pry correctly. You only need to pry in one location, not multiple ones and not sequentially around the perimeter. It is very unlikely even if you are a total noob to break anything here. If you have auto dimming mirrors remove the connector from its guide (just pop it out - again it will not break) and then separate the connector. You can see a small retention slot and tab on the connector which you can lift to make separating the connector much easier. A fingernail will do fine for this.
  4. With the mirror glass off it is easier to remove and install the caps. Why? Because the 4 main serrated/notched tabs/tab holes can be seen and manipulated. The tabs are on the caps and holes/slots are on the mirror body. To ease cap removal you can use a screw driver to pry the male serrated part away from the female part it locks into as you simultaneously pull/pry the cap toward the front off the car. Insert the screw driver into the mirror body from the flat area just behind the removed glass. You will need lots of light to see the slots and the serrated male tabs. Work on prying/pulling the mirror body in the same quadrant where you are prying the tab from engaging. Work around in each of the 4 corners. Each one will loosen and pop a bit, finally the entire mirror will pop free.
  5. When reinstalling keep the cap generally lined up with the mirror body but a bit toward the inside (window glass side). The longest tab (bottom right when looking into the mirror as normal on the drivers side) has a tendency to miss its slot entirely. You will know if you missed the slot because the cap will fit snug and tight everywhere except the lower right part (again lower right on the drivers side when facing the mirror). Try to get all serrated tabs partially engaged then apply pressure sequentially around the mirror cap to drive each tab into a fully tight and locked position.
  6. 6. To replace the mirror glass reconnect the wiring, line up the mirror in the center of the body and apply firm pressure. Again the mirror glass removal and reinstall is the easiest part here with little to no risk of breaking anything.

Sorry I did not take pictures, far to lazy for that. I hope the words still help even for those visual folks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Hope your happy with them Swamp!

As soon as it stops raining take some pics! Ha

GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Hope your happy with them Swamp!

As soon as it stops raining take some pics! Ha
They look good. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I spent more time looking at the attachment method and all of the potentially fragile tabs in the design when swapping in my new CF caps. I can now add to the above comments.

Sorry I did not take pictures, far to lazy for that. I hope the words still help even for those visual folks.
Thanks for the write up. I just used it to install my cf mirror caps and it proved to be very useful.
      01-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
PapaKlix
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

for what it's worth, i just did the following and it worked just fine (no broken tabs):
stood behind the front of the mirrors facing straight back towards the rear of the car
palms up, put all 8 fingers along the bottom edge of the mirror cap
pulled slightly up, mostly towards the front of the car and mirror cap popped right off

putting back on was very straight forward
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

The tool set is a good idea, but you can also use careful pressure

01-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post

LOL so own, no tools needed, most straight forward DIY instruction
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I used a flat head wrapped with tape and a micro fiber and just worked it all around. I don't suggest doing that video way mine were on there fucken tight. I think that will work once they been removed once or twice but not for the first time.
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
LOL so own, no tools needed, most straight forward DIY instruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
I used a flat head wrapped with tape and a micro fiber and just worked it all around. I don't suggest doing that video way mine were on there fucken tight. I think that will work once they been removed once or twice but not for the first time.
Agree with TRY...M3. That video makes it look way too easy. Maybe the IND guys can do it that way every time but i doubt it. There is a lot of stuff that can really easily break doing this job. It is your gear, proceed as you like. My detailed write up was for the noob or those anal about not damaging their gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post

I used this method and worked just fine. Thanks IND!
      03-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
I removed them without using any tools, it's pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK8888
I removed them without using any tools, it's pretty easy.
Let's hope a "black market" for cf mirror caps doesn't pop up now.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Let's hope a "black market" for cf mirror caps doesn't pop up now.
I ended up putting back my OEM, didn't like the look of black mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Darkboyz68
Jedi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlix View Post
for what it's worth, i just did the following and it worked just fine (no broken tabs):
stood behind the front of the mirrors facing straight back towards the rear of the car
palms up, put all 8 fingers along the bottom edge of the mirror cap
pulled slightly up, mostly towards the front of the car and mirror cap popped right off

putting back on was very straight forward
I used the technique above, took like 2 mins first side, 2nd took 30 secs once i figured out the right amount of pressure. None of the tabs or tooth things broke. Pretty easy mod!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
Lalae92///m
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 sold

What if there's a carbon fiber cap over the OEM cap??? How would I get that off?? I can actually see the white underneath, almost looks like thay used some sort of glue and just covered the cap with a cf one.. Any suggestions how to remove this?? I dont want to damage the paint... Thanks guys...
      05-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalae92///m View Post
What if there's a carbon fiber cap over the OEM cap??? How would I get that off?? I can actually see the white underneath, almost looks like thay used some sort of glue and just covered the cap with a cf one.. Any suggestions how to remove this?? I dont want to damage the paint... Thanks guys...
If it's glued, you're probably screwed. If it's just tape, you might not get raped.

You may just wanna see if anyone is selling a stock set.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Lalae92///m
Rep

It's stating to lift, I can get my fingernail in there and start to pry it a bit but I'm not sure if the entire cap is glued or if its just around the edges.. Ugg I want them off!! LOL I'm thinking its that 3M stuff.. You think it will ruin the paint if I rip it off???
      05-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's stating to lift, I can get my fingernail in there and start to pry it a bit but I'm not sure if the entire cap is glued or if its just around the edges.. Ugg I want them off!! LOL I'm thinking its that 3M stuff.. You think it will ruin the paint if I rip it off???
If it's just the tape, then the paint shouldn't be harmed at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #21
Lalae92///m
Rep

Thanks I'm gonna try and take them off.. Im hoping the entire thing isn't taped... We'll see tomorrow.. Thanks for the help!!!!
      05-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks I'm gonna try and take them off.. Im hoping the entire thing isn't taped... We'll see tomorrow.. Thanks for the help!!!!
Hope it works out for ya!
Appreciate 0