E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Considering a 2011 335i

10-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
thecapt
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS250AWD

Considering a 2011 335i

So, I currently drive a 08 IS250AWD and next summer I'm probably going to get a new car. I have been wanting something that offers a lot more power and a better driving experience. Trying to drive up a hill reminds me of my 04 Impala...very difficult.

As such, I've started my research so I can be absolutely prepared. I'm considering a IS350, and plan to investigate Audi and Infiniti. I am going to test drive all cars but I'd like to see if I can get some extra information/experiences from people.

So here are my questions:
1. I live near Westchester, NY and so the winters can be a tad on the harsh side. So I was wondering if throwing some blizzaks on the car for the winter months and common sense driving would be acceptable for the 335i during the winter? I have a flexible job that will allow me to work from home if the weather is subpar. As such, I think I can easily get away with a RWD car.
2. Has anyone went from a IS250[I know the 250 doesn't even come close to the 335)/350 to the 335i? What were your thoughts on the transfer?
3. I realize BMW's are less reliable than Lexus' so I plan on getting the 6year/100k warranty to handle any issues. Is there anything else I can get? I heard something about a service warranty, as well.
I am considering getting a loaded model and keeping the car until it dies or starts to cost an arm and a leg to maintain.
4. I've heard some bad things about RFTs. So I'd like to change them out. What are some good suggestions for replacements? What sort of price range could I expect (I assume somewhere around $1000 including labor).
5. BMW has roadside service, like Lexus? I had to use it once because the dealership failed to reset the tire pressure sensor. They immeditaely sent someone out to my car while I was at work and fixed the issue. Overall, a pleasant experience.
6. Any other suggestions besides a 335? Even non-BMW's (but yes, I AM posting on a BMW forum so I don't expect much!! ) are welcome.
7. Any thoughts on the BMW Select loan? It seems to be a pretty good deal in terms of monthly payments. I ran the calculator and with my trade in and around $5,000ish down, I can get around $350 a month. I pay $340 right now so it looks promising.

On a side note, I always wanted to get a BMW. But I opted for the Lexus first as it was what I could afford at the time (I was in college and didn't have a full time job like I do now).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Get the coupe and try the RFT for yourself. They work fine for me, but the roads down here are pretty nice. Get a set of winter wheels & tires from Tirerack.com. Those plus traction control will get you through most winter stuff. Had an 00 323 up North and was fine with rwd. If the RFT don't work for you, check back for info.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
get coupe and take off the rft
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
thecapt
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

What is the reasoning behind getting the coupe instead of the sedan?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapt View Post
Thanks for the replies.

What is the reasoning behind getting the coupe instead of the sedan?

Largely, cosmetics. The consensus is that the coupe looks a lot better than it's sedan counterpart, at the cost of practicality. If you do not have more than 1 passenger then coupe should do the trick. As you may have guessed, it is an inconvenience to access the rear seat of the coupe, so people with families tend to avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
thecapt
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman335 View Post
Largely, cosmetics. The consensus is that the coupe looks a lot better than it's sedan counterpart, at the cost of practicality. If you do not have more than 1 passenger then coupe should do the trick. As you may have guessed, it is an inconvenience to access the rear seat of the coupe, so people with families tend to avoid it.
Yeah I do like the look of the coupe a bit more. I am a bit unsure of the size issue as you mentioned. I do sometimes haul around 4 people, maybe a three or four times a month. I don't have any kids (yet) soooo it should be ok.

What is the difference between the regular coupe and the "is" coupe?

Oh, looking at the customize tool on the website - you can only get the M package with white as the exterior color?

Sorry for all of the questions...I just like to do research, especially if I am going to be dropping +40k on something

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
RickC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe and Z4

The is coupe has a more powerful but older generation motor. You should be fine in the snow. If you are concerned you could get an all wheel drive coupe. I find in the 3 series that the runflats have been fine. I would at least run them for 20,000 miles. If you want more comfort stick to the standard tire sizes ( also reduces replacement cost) If you are looking for looks let your eyes be your guide but your wallet and but will pay the price
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
GFX MIK3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 2008 335xi

im in westchester ny also but right now im just running rfts and i have no problem as long as the car is awd, if its rwd then get a set of winter tires
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman335 View Post
Largely, cosmetics. The consensus is that the coupe looks a lot better than it's sedan counterpart, at the cost of practicality.
Of course, Wingman is referring to the unbiased consensus of coupe owners.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
My 335i coupe is about a week away from having my butt in it. From what I have gathered the 'i' with winter tires does fairly well in the snow. I'm on Long Island so we tend to have a more mild winter than you guys see.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
pantherfan69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335D  [0.00]
I thought in the survey the consensus was the sedan actually looked more aggressive ? Heck instead of a 335i go for the 335d, all the goodness of the sports sedan, but 40mpg on the hwy!
      10-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
korr
Captain
Kazakhstan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Garage List
i had a is250 for a loan car for about 2 weeks, honestly it was decent, pretty smooth and quiet, but the 335 is a whole different story, i just recently purcahsed a 2011 335i sedan fully loaded. And the car is just totally amazing. Im sure you know your covered for 4 years or 50k miles under the bmw maintanence program... and they do have roadside assistance. As for driving in winter, i can't answer you that since i just got the car...i think a set of winter tires might help the rwd.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
The is coupe has a more powerful but older generation motor. You should be fine in the snow. If you are concerned you could get an all wheel drive coupe. I find in the 3 series that the runflats have been fine. I would at least run them for 20,000 miles. If you want more comfort stick to the standard tire sizes ( also reduces replacement cost) If you are looking for looks let your eyes be your guide but your wallet and but will pay the price
:facepalm:

That is only on the 335iS. All other '11 335's have the n55 motor in it.
With that said I love my sedan. Different strokes for different folks.
      10-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Tires will help you with overall performance and traction. They won't get you up a hill.

Sounds like to me though that the RWD with a good set of winter rims/tires should do you just fine. Expect to pay about $2k for a good set of winter tires & rims with tire pressure monitor sensors.

You CANNOT get by in the winter with a sport performance tire, so you either need a good set of all seasons, or 1 of each.

Problem is that RFT will cost you big bucks, anywhere from $190-350 per tire. The stock runflats on the MSport are $250 x2 in the front, $350 x2 in the back... so keep that in mind.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapt View Post
So, I currently drive a 08 IS250AWD and next summer I'm probably going to get a new car. I have been wanting something that offers a lot more power and a better driving experience. Trying to drive up a hill reminds me of my 04 Impala...very difficult.

As such, I've started my research so I can be absolutely prepared. I'm considering a IS350, and plan to investigate Audi and Infiniti. I am going to test drive all cars but I'd like to see if I can get some extra information/experiences from people.

So here are my questions:
1. I live near Westchester, NY and so the winters can be a tad on the harsh side. So I was wondering if throwing some blizzaks on the car for the winter months and common sense driving would be acceptable for the 335i during the winter? I have a flexible job that will allow me to work from home if the weather is subpar. As such, I think I can easily get away with a RWD car.
2. Has anyone went from a IS250[I know the 250 doesn't even come close to the 335)/350 to the 335i? What were your thoughts on the transfer?
3. I realize BMW's are less reliable than Lexus' so I plan on getting the 6year/100k warranty to handle any issues. Is there anything else I can get? I heard something about a service warranty, as well.
I am considering getting a loaded model and keeping the car until it dies or starts to cost an arm and a leg to maintain.
4. I've heard some bad things about RFTs. So I'd like to change them out. What are some good suggestions for replacements? What sort of price range could I expect (I assume somewhere around $1000 including labor).
5. BMW has roadside service, like Lexus? I had to use it once because the dealership failed to reset the tire pressure sensor. They immeditaely sent someone out to my car while I was at work and fixed the issue. Overall, a pleasant experience.
6. Any other suggestions besides a 335? Even non-BMW's (but yes, I AM posting on a BMW forum so I don't expect much!! ) are welcome.
7. Any thoughts on the BMW Select loan? It seems to be a pretty good deal in terms of monthly payments. I ran the calculator and with my trade in and around $5,000ish down, I can get around $350 a month. I pay $340 right now so it looks promising.

On a side note, I always wanted to get a BMW. But I opted for the Lexus first as it was what I could afford at the time (I was in college and didn't have a full time job like I do now).

Thanks!
I tend to keep my cars for a long time.

I went from a Lexus SC300 to a BMW335i Convertiible.

Loved the Lexus can't wait to get rid of the BMW.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
TheStigsTwin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

I'm gonna ring in for the Sedan. I love the look of the sedan, although I should say that all this coupe vs sedan banter strikes me as odd. I love the look of the coupe as well, but I needed 4 doors so the choice was obvious (otherwise an IS would have definitely been in my garage)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
A4rings
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Space 335i

i personally would not pay 50k for a 335i especially since it is the neering the very end of the e9x body style. either wait for the new body or get a different car..IMHO
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
The RFTs are really not as bad as what people have made them out to be. The benefits of having them in the first place is what many overlook. You don't have to carry a spare or worry when you do have a flat that you can continue on and get it fixed later instead of right then and there. I have had mine plugged 3 times without fail so replacing them after a nail is feasible as long as it is not on the sidewall. Put one some Michelin Sport and they ride better than the Bridgestone's and they should wear longer. So don't be so quick to discount them for what they were designed to do. Just my two cents.
      10-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
thecapt
Registered
Rep

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. It has given me a lot to read about.

captainaudio: Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Are you going to go back to Lexus?

A4rings: I plan on keeping this next car until it dies so I am not too concerned about the next model coming out. I suppose one benefit in buying late is (in theory, haha) most of the issues have been worked out on the current model.

RFT Comments: It seems a good thing to do is to try them out and see how I like them and I shall do that then. It can only save me money . Are the tire types on the RWD all season or performance only?

korr: The IS250 is a great car as a DD. It has a great interior, exterior and the realiability is great. I am happy with it but as others have said, that particular version (which is why I am going to try the IS350 as well) is underpowered and the steering on all Lexus is rather numb.

Does anyone have any experiences on BMW dealerships in the Westchester, Putnam and Dutchness?

And my last question: Lexus will give you a free loaner ($15 for gas though) for any service done. They will also come and pick up/drop off your car at your house for free, too. I've been in the area for over a year, had my car serviced 3 times and haven't even seen the Mt. Kiscoe Lexus dealership. I find having this ability very useful and convenient. Does BMW dealerships do the same? Or do I have to bring the car to the dealership?

Thanks again folks!
Appreciate 0