BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
MelonMadness
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Please help me decide

Im going to buy a new M3 and i cannot decide whether i should get the E46 or wait for the E92. I mean i really like the exterior of the E46 but the v8 in the e92 is nice. Its just the wait im worried about im able to get a new car in Febuary so i just want to know if the wait is worth it.

I was also wondering if they will be making a 2007 E46 cause i heard that the E92 is going to be a 2008, so are they skipping a year?

One more question should i get manual or the SMG. what the pro and con for that.

If anyone can answer some of these questions i would greatly appriciate it.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Hey melon welcome,

First things first E92 > E46 M3 all day long, period. If you going for a looks thing, thats all you choice buddy. 2) There will not be an 07 E46 M3, the production has stopped on them for a while now. 3) There are lots of thread here on the forum about Manual vs. SMG, but the general concensus is that SMG > Manual in sheer performance capabilties and lazyness Which I agree with as well. Alot of guys like stick for a "better connection/feel of the engine" but, its all how you look at it (the big picture, and daily driving)

Well, I hope that this helps a bit, and I look forward to seeing you here on the forums.

-Pete :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I say wait for E92 and get SMG.
That's my plan at least.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Soul searching

Howdy. It sounds to me like you really need to do a lot more thinking about your choice before making a sizeable expenditure such as a new M3.

As far as looks go beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. That being said I can pretty much guarantee that as soon the the E92 M3 comes out the E46 M3 will look dated and less aggressive. Sure folks have their reservations now on looks, but that is just part of the process. Next if you are the type of person who just has to have the latest greatest keep that in mind, even if you are not sold on the looks yet. You will likely end up with regrets after you see the new car on the street or next to your E46 M3. Performance wise this is a no brainer. The new car will really be a huge step up and not just in acceleration and top speed. Most of us expect the car to totally "envelope" the E46 M3 in all areas of performance.

SMG vs. 6MT
SMG is superior for track use. No human can match the rev matched downshifts nor the sheer speed of the shifts with SMG. No way to mis-shift is a nice bonus as is a pseudo automatic transmission mode. The only arguments I see for 6MT are reliability/simplicity, a tiny bit of weight and a desire to be more "in touch" with the shifting process. IMO though, the SMG allows you to be more in touch with more aspects of spirited or track driving i.e. less in touch with the mechanics of shifting and more in touch with the WHOLE car. You can focus more on acceleration, braking and cornering and less on heel and toe-ing.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
m5_2010
Rep
n/a
Drives:

whatever you decide to do...go with a six speed manual...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

^ wow.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonMadness View Post
Im going to buy a new M3 and i cannot decide whether i should get the E46 or wait for the E92. I mean i really like the exterior of the E46 but the v8 in the e92 is nice. Its just the wait im worried about im able to get a new car in Febuary so i just want to know if the wait is worth it.

I was also wondering if they will be making a 2007 E46 cause i heard that the E92 is going to be a 2008, so are they skipping a year?

One more question should i get manual or the SMG. what the pro and con for that.

If anyone can answer some of these questions i would greatly appriciate it.

thanks
If you're not getting a car until February, 2007, it won't be a new E46 M3.
Production ceased in mid-2006; as a previous poster noted.

BMW typically brings out the next generation M3 after the next generation 3-Series sedan and coupe, which contributes to the additional year.

M3's are manual transmission vehicles; whether stick-shift or SMG-shift.
If you want an M3, you must also want a manual transmission.
Here's a link to a thread in M3Post that has a rather long, but very informative review of SMGII on the E46 M3.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13218

If you're at all intrigued by an SMG-style manual transmission, find an E46 M3 in your area to test drive. See what you think.
Either stick or SMG is fine; it's personal taste.
And, the E92 M3 will offer both, as I understand it.

Good luck on your search!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Wait for the E92, no dount.

You'll love the E46, but the SECOND the E92 comes out you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't get it. Then you'll try to figure out how to get out of the E46 in order to get an E92 and will most likley lose money in the process.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
mloyelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Porsche Carrera

Wait for the new M3. That's a no brainer. As for manual vs. SMG, that's a tough one. I have driven both in the e46 M3 (my brother owned an 06 competition package SMG (before trading for more space in a 550i), and my best friend drives an 05' manual). Both are insane, make no mistake about it. In fact, I absolutely dusted a brand new porsche 997 on highway one driving my friend's manual. Swamp gave a good summary, and some like the M5 guy (and my friend with the manual) are dead-set old school, which I respect. A drive around the block probably won't convince you either way, unfortunately. Though a look at the F1 series cars these days presents a telling story (all paddle shift for the mostpart). I mean, why take one hand off the wheel? My brother's car was like a video game with the SMG - you think, your index finger twitches and BAM! your are getting rubber in third gear. The car is going to a blast, whatever transmission you go with...I am already worried about speeding tickets. Have fun thinking about it!
Appreciate 0