BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
schuyler
Rep
n/a
Drives:

E90 M3 will weigh same as E46 M3? That'd be awesome!

Read this on another forum, curious what you guys think if this is possible or not?

Quote:
I was at my dealer yesterday looking at an M5 and I asked the manager (who is a pretty good guy) if he knew anything about the new M3. From what he said, we will most likely see the official pics around this time next year and we can expect to see the M3 on the road by late summer or early to mid fall of 2007 as an 08 model, which makes sense.

He also confirmed the V8 420hp, which we already knew, but he also said that the weight of the new E90 M3 is not going to increase in comparison to the E46 M3. According to him the new V8 will be lighter than the outgoing I6 and also because of all the weight saving materials BMW is using, the car will be much lighter. He also mentioned more fuel efficient. Now I know these guys say alot and opinions are like a**holes, but this guy has seemed to know what he has been talking about in the past. He is actually a real BMW lover, not just in it for the sales."
Imagine the same weight of the previous gen M3 but with that much more horsepowers.. OMG How likely is this though? I haven't been keeping up with M3 news/rumors.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
That would be awesome, but I don't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler
Read this on another forum, curious what you guys think if this is possible or not?

Imagine the same weight of the previous gen M3 but with that much more horsepowers. How likely is this though? I haven't been keeping up with M3 news/rumors.
The 2006 M3 is listed at 3,415 lb. We already know the weight of the E92 335i, and it's a porky 3,571 lb. Given that's it's 5" longer an inch wider and half inch taller than the E46, that's not real surprising. Even if they throw some weight saving things like aluminum hood and fenders and other parts at the E92 M3, it will have a tough time coming close to the existing one, which is not that svelte, either. Just my opinion--I'd love to be proved wrong, since I have one on pre-order. My rule of thumb is to never believe dealer sales people. We usually have better advance knowledge than they do.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
schuyler
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The 2006 M3 is listed at 3,415 lb. We already know the weight of the E92 335i, and it's a porky 3,571 lb. Given that's it's 5" longer an inch wider and half inch taller thatn the E46, that's not real surprising. Even if they throw some weight saving things like aluminum hood and fenders and other parts at the E92 M3, it will have a tough time coming close to the existing one, which is not that svelte, either. Just my opinion--I'd love to be proved wrong, since I have one on pre-order. My rule of thumb is to never believe dealer sales people. We usually have better advance knowledge than they do.
Great points, but I suspect that the 335i turbo engine isn't as light as the non-turbo engine due to beefed up components to deal with the turbo configuration. Wonder how heavy the engine of the V8 M3 will be compared to the 335i engine. And even if it's lighter I wonder if it makes much of a difference. As you can tell I don't know much about engines and the weight difference they can make in a car but this is the one of the ways (in addition to the use of lightweight materials like u said) I can think of the m3 being lighter than the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler
Great points, but I suspect that the 335i turbo engine isn't as light as the non-turbo engine due to beefed up components to deal with the turbo configuration. Wonder how heavy the engine of the V8 M3 will be compared to the 335i engine. And even if it's lighter I wonder if it makes much of a difference. As you can tell I don't know much about engines and the weight difference they can make in a car but this is the one of the ways (in addition to the use of lightweight materials like u said) I can think of the m3 being lighter than the 335i.
Yes, I know the M3 will be lighter than the 335i, even though it will have bigger wheels, brakes, etc. I just don't think it can avoid going up over the E46 version. I bet we see a CSL version in the US this time, though.

I would be interested in knowing comparative engine weights. The S54 with iron block is fairly heavy, and even though the turbo N54 has a magnesiium/aluminum block it's got two turbos and plumbing, intercooler, etc. I have not seen any info. on the V10 weight.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
lobstah
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Yes, I know the M3 will be lighter than the 335i, even though it will have bigger wheels, brakes, etc. I just don't think it can avoid going up over the E46 version. I bet we see a CSL version in the US this time, though.

I would be interested in knowing comparative engine weights. The S54 with iron block is fairly heavy, and even though the turbo N54 has a magnesiium/aluminum block it's got two turbos and plumbing, intercooler, etc. I have not seen any info. on the V10 weight.
It will be interesting to see, but to guess at the M3 having a weight between the E46m3 and the 335i coupe is not really too far off IMO. Now it seems like BMW has been putting effort into those CSL versions of the car (M division is less of an exclusive car anymore, so theyve moved to the M-CSL which is exclusive again) so that one will be very interesting to see, I bet it will be lighter then the E46m3 but a good amount. (remember, very minimal luxuries will be onboard the E92M3CSL)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
Damager
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstah
It will be interesting to see, but to guess at the M3 having a weight between the E46m3 and the 335i coupe is not really too far off IMO. Now it seems like BMW has been putting effort into those CSL versions of the car (M division is less of an exclusive car anymore, so theyve moved to the M-CSL which is exclusive again) so that one will be very interesting to see, I bet it will be lighter then the E46m3 but a good amount. (remember, very minimal luxuries will be onboard the E92M3CSL)
BMW seems to be putting fourth a solid philosophy recently that goes beyond "quad tailpipes on all our cars"... but a real philosophy of high revving engines and light weight. I think its great they are doing that, it will take time for them to really bring the philosophy to fruition but they are taking the direction, and in 10 years you may see lotus type of cars coming out of bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Well, that philosphy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damager
BMW seems to be putting fourth a solid philosophy recently that goes beyond "quad tailpipes on all our cars"... but a real philosophy of high revving engines and light weight. I think its great they are doing that, it will take time for them to really bring the philosophy to fruition but they are taking the direction, and in 10 years you may see lotus type of cars coming out of bmw.
That philosophy is heavily compromised by meeting the demands of the mass market, particularly the US market, for more space, more safety and more goodies. The best BMW seems to be able to do is slow down the weight increases with each successive 3-series, but not actually reverse it.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Damager
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
That philosophy is heavily compromised by meeting the demands of the mass market, particularly the US market, for more space, more safety and more goodies. The best BMW seems to be able to do is slow down the weight increases with each successive 3-series, but not actually reverse it.
Your absoltuly correct, thats why I'm starting to believe that BMW-M is just going to be a mainstream brand and that BMW-M-CSL is going to be the real heart of BMW-M from which you will see the real performance cars from BMW that follow this new philosophy from BMW, and I believe the future is very very bright for BMW-M-CSL.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
2K5 325i
srsly *****'n!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007/8 TiAg 335i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstah
[ot] are you Robstah from bf.c? [/ot]

Yeah, from what i've heard the weight diff is +~125 E92 vs. E46.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
lobstah
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i
[ot] are you Robstah from bf.c? [/ot]

Yeah, from what i've heard the weight diff is +~125 E92 vs. E46.

No, i'm not Robsah from bf.c, but I do love lobsters

If the standard E92 isabout 125lbs heavier and the same carries over to the M3, then it will be an absolute killer car, and then the E92M3CSL will easily come out much lighter then the current e46m3 and should be a car for the ages. These are good times for BMW M car fans.
Appreciate 0