E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > ATL/ Everyone- Requesting some advice!

09-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S Guards Red

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
ATL/ Everyone- Requesting some advice!

Any advice you guys can offer would be great:
I finally got my AE exhaust put back on (took it off to visit the dealer for routine maintenance + waste gate rattle early this summer). I am now having long cranks during cold starts. It started out of no where and I thought it was a one time thing. I came back after 4 days for Labor Day weekend, and the car cranked for 5-7 seconds without turning over, and in a panic I pressed the accelerator and immediately turned over. After its running, the car performs completely normal. I HAVE NO CODES according to my PROcede. However, this afternoon the car hesitated to turn over, and it wasn't a cold start.

My issue: Without any codes to determine the problem, and reading countless threads regarding HPFP problems, I am very concerned this is going to leave stranded sooner than later. I read where these symptoms could be related simply to the lower pressure fuel sensor ($71/ item). So my question(s):

1) do I keep my exhaust on and pay a mechanic to put in a fuel pump for me? Depending on labor time, this could be quickly expensive...

2) does anyone know of an Atlanta BMW dealer that isn't going to care about my exhaust (i.e. will not void my CPO warranty) and replace the hpfp?

3) pay the mechanic to take off the exhaust (after just paying $200 to put it on), then take the car in the dealer?

The only reason I hesitate option 3, is because I am throwing away $400... I will end up selling the exhaust because of it, because I can't rationalize putting it back on. And yeah I know $200 is a lot for an exhaust install, but he is walking distance from my house and has 30+ years of experience working on porsches/mb/bmws

I really appreciate any feedback guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
United wrote me up for my exhaust but I have catless dps.

I know some get stranded but the norm is they go slowly. I'd drive it for a while longer for sure. If you are pretty sure you'll sale/cpo your car then I'd take off the exhaust before I took it in. I don't plan to ever sale my car.

Good luck.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
SoLo
Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30/S54turbo,F10535I,E70X5M

Swing by my shop if you need to take your exhaust off and on again and dont worry i will not charge you for that....pm me for more details.....

Tony M.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLo View Post
Swing by my shop if you need to take your exhaust off and on again and dont worry i will not charge you for that....pm me for more details.....
That's very nice of you Tony.

Henry: sorry to hear about your situation man, sucks.

It seems like Tony got you covered, but in case it doesn't work out these are the two things I can think of:

1) Keep driving her to see what happens. If by chance she does leave you stranded, I have AAA Premium (99 miles towing) and will be glad to have the car towed for you under my account to one of our houses so we can plan exhaust removal before having BMW tow her to the nearest dealer. You have my number and you can call anytime.

2) I will help you swap the exhaust, it shouldn't be too bad and I am sure some of the other guys won't mind some good old backyard engineering.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

-Walter
      09-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede View Post
That's very nice of you Tony.

Henry: sorry to hear about your situation man, sucks.

It seems like Tony got you covered, but in case it doesn't work out these are the two things I can think of:

1) Keep driving her to see what happens. If by chance she does leave you stranded, I have AAA Premium (99 miles towing) and will be glad to have the car towed for you under my account to one of our houses so we can plan exhaust removal before having BMW tow her to the nearest dealer. You have my number and you can call anytime.

2) I will help you swap the exhaust, it shouldn't be too bad and I am sure some of the other guys won't mind some good old backyard engineering.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

-Walter

My house is also available, I have tools and air compressor. I do not mind helping another Bimmer guy or anybody that likes cars. Let me know if you guys need my help.

Eric
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
guys, I really appreciate all the feedback! It is always valuable to have an objective opinion. I am hoping this is the last issue I have with my 3er for a while; after 2 visits to the dealer waste gate rattle and now the hpfp, its hard to keep modding the way I want to!

the logistics of moving the stock exhaust is part of the problem, because it doesn't fit in a coupe!

This issue is just concerning because if the hpfp goes, I am going to have to tow the car to get the exhaust off first... so annoying! I would rather be ahead of that. I pm'd Tony, so I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for your valuable advice!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL E92 View Post
guys, I really appreciate all the feedback! It is always valuable to have an objective opinion. I am hoping this is the last issue I have with my 3er for a while; after 2 visits to the dealer waste gate rattle and now the hpfp, its hard to keep modding the way I want to!

the logistics of moving the stock exhaust is part of the problem, because it doesn't fit in a coupe!

This issue is just concerning because if the hpfp goes, I am going to have to tow the car to get the exhaust off first... so annoying! I would rather be ahead of that. I pm'd Tony, so I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for your valuable advice!

I have an Xterra, it will fit in it. So no problem there. Let me know.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I took my car to United in Gwinnett to get my HPFP replaced and left my intake on. They didn't void my warranty. Not sure how could void your warranty because of an exhaust unless it causes the failure.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I got an exhaust, lowered, aftermarket wheels, stuff done to the engine and I took it to the dealership to get it aligned and they still did not write any of that stuff up. It really comes down to who you know. And how nice you are to the techs too.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Have ramps? If not they ride in the trunk easily enough. I have pulled them several times on this car; picked up a hanger release to make it easier. Point being, it is easy to swap at your place.

As for the question, if worried about being written up, you need to remove it. It is a gamble and you have to weigh in on how lucky you feel. Since the DP's are stock, you are better off. However, I beleive the exhaust does remove the secondary cats which they would probably frown on. So there is no easy answer.

Or, mod the heck out of it and just say goodbye to the CPO warranty and never look back.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
I got an exhaust, lowered, aftermarket wheels, stuff done to the engine and I took it to the dealership to get it aligned and they still did not write any of that stuff up. It really comes down to who you know. And how nice you are to the techs too.
Well put. I used to go United BMW with Derek as my advisor, when I had my 328i modded to hell. Post on Bimmerforums in the Georgia thread about this. The United guys hang out on BF.C and will help you out.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
I really appreciate the help guys. My problem is I don't know any of the techs around, and went out of my way to get the car CPO'd (I bought it the day it came off the lease). I just can't afford to gamble losing it, as it will be a selling point when I sell the car in 2011/12.

I haven't been blessed with the best of luck with reliability of my 335, and its just annoying as hell having to visit the dealer every few months (now weeks). Global loves to say "we can't replicate the problem," which is what put me in this situation!

I just want to be ahead of the curve if the hpfp dies on me in the middle of 75/85. Time is never on my side, which is why I didn't install the exhaust myself this time around. Tony got back with me, I just am planning logistics to get the car up there. Really amazing for him to help me out

If any of you happen to know a tech/ SA personally and they would be willing to "turn the other way" about my exhaust, I would love to throw them some cash, its just I don't have any codes yet to warrant replacing the hpfp. But everyday I am worried the car isn't going to start, as it seems to be getting worse...

Again, thanks for all the advice and guidance
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
SoLo
Leader
United_States
Rep

Very true on who you know.........Also ATL E92 if it comes to taking it to the dealership i have a very good friend of mine that works @ Global BMW and he is one of their best Master Techs.....He actually will be coming by my shop and i will mention the situation to see if you have to remove your exhaust.......
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
i have a very good friend of mine that works @ Global BMW and he is one of their best Master Techs.....He actually will be coming by my shop and i will mention the situation to see if you have to remove your exhaust.......
That would be amazing! If it is an issue, I will be setting up an appointment asap for the exhaust. I appreciate the offer to come to your shop, if I would have known you were there I would have come to you first! Expect a new customer!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
turb0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 x5 45e

talk to jair at United bmw off 85N. just call him and tell him ur situation- he has a modified 335 also with exhaust and jb3 if i recall

Hes a straightforward guy and will tell you if you need to take off the exhaust before u come in and won't try to trick you or anything lol
e92 JB/CR 335 // CF GTR Hood // CF HM Splittters // CF Ericcsson Trunk // CF HM Quad Diffuser // Shadowline Trim // Matte Black 19" Vortex VT996 // JB Reflectors // Black Grills // 20% Tint // JB3 2.0 // DCI
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Henry, sorry to hear about the recurring problems with your car. I agree that it is safer to remove the exhaust. However, how can they blame a failing HPFP on an exhaust when it is such a common issue?

Hopefully everything can be resolved and if there's anything I can help with, feel free to ask!

Quote:
Very true on who you know.........Also ATL E92 if it comes to taking it to the dealership i have a very good friend of mine that works @ Global BMW and he is one of their best Master Techs.....He actually will be coming by my shop and i will mention the situation to see if you have to remove your exhaust.......
Is his name David by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
SoLo
Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post

Yep
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
I'd love to know too Tony, I am eager to bring a nice bottle of wine from Italy and hand it to him as a Christmas present.

-Walter
      09-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #19
SoLo
Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to know too Tony, I am eager to bring a nice bottle of wine from Italy and hand it to him as a Christmas present.

-Walter
LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Henry, sorry to hear about the recurring problems with your car. Hopefully everything can be resolved and if there's anything I can help with, feel free to ask!?
Yeah, it is has been an annoying past few months! I know they are the main issues people have with the N54, i.e. waste gate rattle and now the hpfp, but I didn't expect this quality when I bought a bmw! If they would just believe me when I tell them the car is doing what its doing, I wouldn't have to keep bringing it back once the issue HAS TO HAVE attention!
Oh well, it still is exciting every second to get behind the wheel, so I guess its worth it in the end!
Hopefully after this issue passes I will be in the clear [knock on wood]

Quote:

-Walter
I wish it were that easy
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've never taken any grief for my car at United BMW of Duluth. I wouldn't even worry about it if it were me with this problem. Guess its a judgment call though. If you wanna try United... call up Scott Green as your service advisor. He's a cool dude.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
RON1X
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
My hat is off to Tony at Solo Motorsports. Talked to him today, really nice guy and will be where i get all performance/ aftermarket stuff done. Anyways, he hooked me up with his friend who is a tech at a bmw dealer here in atlanta (not going into details to protect privacy). I am going in with the exhaust on, but have to wait for the hpfp to fail

again, thanks for all the help and advice guys!
Appreciate 0