BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
syrus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i

BMW X3 problems - Flat tire - MPG - spark plugs - new user

Hey guys. I just became the pre-owned '06 BMW X3 3.0i owner and here's what I have the problems with. When I get a flat tire I usually stop somewhere at the gas station right away to pump some air but the RFT light is still on for like another 30-40 miles or so which is really bothers me. makes me stop more often to check the pressure. Tried clicking on that button with the flat tire but doesn't help. Always have the pressure as it says on the door sticker 29 psi front / 32 rears.

I used to be a Honda Accord owner and noticed a HUUGE difference in MPG. Instruction says something around 16-17mpg. What I really get is 12-13 in the city and 23-24hwy. I'm not an aggressive driver at all. My RPM doesn't go higher that 2600-2700. Its mostly me or me and my gf in the car (not fully loaded)... Understand that since I got the used vehicle with 50k miles there's no guarantee that I'll be happy enough to get at least 10% more that the MPG BMW states. I checked the battery / alternator. Both are in perfect condition. I've read somewhere that Denso Iridium spark plugs might help and the overall car performance will be higher. Are they any better than Bosch spark plugs? The regular price they get sold on eBay is around $50 for 6 of them with delivery. Isn't it kinda too much for that?

Also, what's the best place to buy the parts for BMW (original / not original). I would appreciate any kind of advice for the brand new owner of a not really new BMW. Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
16thBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [7.00]
TPMS

If the '06 X3 really has run-flats (RFT), then the way you change the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is explained in a video at bmwusa.com. Go to the Owners tab, select Owner's Manual, select your year and model and watch the video on resetting the TPMS.

As far as MPG goes, if you just drive in regular mode all of the time, the transmission "learns" from your driving habits. My wife's driving habits on our '05 X3 are such that the transmission will sit in 3rd gear for a long time before it shifts (up to 3k rpm). When I drive it, I drive in sport mode and shift myself around 2200 rpm. I get much better gas mileage than she does!

Freude am Fahren (mit BMW)...

Driving: 15th(F25/2017 X3); 16th(E89/2016 35is) BMW's
Retired: 14 BMW's (1968 1600-02, 1972 2002, E30x3, E34, E36x2, E39x2, E46, E83x2, E85)
Current: 8 BMW's in Family
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
CarCzar128i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010128iconvertible

I have a 2006 X3 steptronic, and get 17-18 suburban driving, and 23-24 highway, which sounds the same as you. The highways around me move along about 70. I keep it in sport mode anytime I'm under 45 mph, but rarely manually shift. I suppose it's how you are defining "city" driving......sitting in traffic jams, or crawling stop and go will kill you.

I find the octane level of the gas matters for mileage....go with 91-93 octane always.

I don't have my manual in front of me, but you should be able to go a long time before you change the plugs.

Considering the size, weight, and performance, I think the mileage is quite good. Not so good if you commute in heavy slow traffic. I don't know what the EPA definition of city driving is, but it's probably more like 5am on a Sunday, rather than 5pm Friday.
Appreciate 0