ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

One more creak found & eliminated

I have the KW V3 coilovers fitted with Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts. After about 6 weeks of use the RSMs began to creak a bit at the rubber bushing where they join the body. The creak was hard to localize beyond 'somewhere in the rear suspension', but it would happen when rolling slowly over a basically flat street as well as backing out of a driveway.

I set about spraying the various rear bushings one at a time with a liberal dose of silicon spray [liquid wrench Si Spray, can claimed safe for rubber]. Eventually I narrowed it down to the RSMs. The Si Spray only works for about three days until the squeak comes back.

Needed something better, so I located a Teflon-based grease called Poly-Ease that is completely safe on Polyurethane as well as rubber and metal. This is similar to the lube sold with sway bar bushings, but thicker and slicker. We did one side with that and the other with the red synthetic grease made by RedLine. Both sides are quiet now. We'll see which one lasts longer.

The Rogue RSM manual states 20 lb ft for the lower nuts and 11 lb ft for the nuts at the top of the strut. Setting both of these properly along with the lubricants did the trick, noise gone.

Anyway that's one creak and the fix.

Last edited by blender; 07-17-2010 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0